GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

PhD in Business Information System

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
PhD in Business Information System  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2019, 02:37
Hi all,

I am not sure if this the right forum but I wanted to know if anyone was applying Management/Business Information System field in the US for Fall 2020. I am trying to shortlist universities to apply but I cannot really
find a appropriate rankings that I can refer. I came across the rankings published by UT Dallas but they vary a lot based on different journals related to Information systems. So, not sure what should I follow. Any help in this regards would be great!

Thanks
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: PhD in Business Information System  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 07:23
There is no fundamental difference between university ranking platforms. however, if you are curious about which one is best to follow, you have to do some search by yourself to understand how each platform developed its ranking methodology.
There are several criteria upon which a ranking is given, such as employability, research capabilities, publishing in Q1 journals, number of international students, ... and more. these platforms weigh these criteria differently.
But the main trick is that you MUST decide on the university depending on its ranking in this particular course "ie postgraduate/information system" , not depending on the overall ranking of the university.

Also, in a phd, you should be focusing on your supervisor as well, because he/she will be the big deal for you.
You should observe which supervisors are available in each college and which of them is best fitting with your proposal and which of them you think will be the best option to learn from.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 18:22
mur282 wrote:
Hi all,

I am not sure if this the right forum but I wanted to know if anyone was applying Management/Business Information System field in the US for Fall 2020. I am trying to shortlist universities to apply but I cannot really
find a appropriate rankings that I can refer. I came across the rankings published by UT Dallas but they vary a lot based on different journals related to Information systems. So, not sure what should I follow. Any help in this regards would be great!

Thanks

Hi mur282

Basically you don't need any rankings, but UT Dallas is good one to start.

What you need is to first decide what research topics interest you. :idea:

Then you should look into research/journals in those topics and find best authors in the particular sub-field.

Once you find those researchers/professors just look where they teach.

Those should be institutions on your list.

Alternatively you should check their average GRE/GMAT scores and compare them with yours in order to define competitiveness and structure your application list.

Easy as that.

Good Luck with research :cool:
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 15:50
mur282
what other schools are you considering or finding interesting beside UT Dallas?
(from your search)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: PhD in Business Information System   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2019, 15:50

PhD in Business Information System

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, carcass