Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618955 [11]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
MBA Strategy Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IndEng wrote:
Hi,

I plan to apply for an MBA program starting Fall 2018. Can someone please have a look at my profile and provide your feedback? Thanks!

Nationality: Indian male

Work Experience:
Senior Consultant at a top 5 Technology and Strategy consulting firm (will have 3.5+ years of experience at the time of starting school)

Academic Qualifications:
1. M.S. in Engg. GPA - 3.6+ (top three Ivy league school)
2. B.E. in Engg. GPA - 3.3+ (top 10 Engg. School in India, graduated in the top 10% of the class)
Gender - Male
GMAT: 740
List of Schools I plan on applying to: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Stanford, Sloan, Kellogg, Columbia
Extra Curricular Activities - Was moderately involved in social service activities while pursuing my Bachelors and inter college level activities as well. Haven't been able to pursue much post graduation.

Areas of Interest in MBA - Business Analytics, Management in Tech Space

Hi, your GMAT, GPA and career in top-5 consulting sound good for top-10 US b-schools. I don't think you should improve your GMAT, especially if you're planning to apply this August-September. What you should concentrate your efforts on is the following: your inspirations to apply (what inspires you to get an MBA?); your motivation to go to a particular school (how can this school help you achieve your goals: curriculum, location, faculty etc.); your development (what skills and practical knowledge you've gained to stand out and bring value to MBA class)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Sorry, but if you don't have inspiration to get an MBA, how you'll do it?
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jimmybraun wrote:
Sorry, but if you don't have inspiration to get an MBA, how you'll do it?

so you do have it - that's great! It must be well-structured and visible for AdComs - that's what I meant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Chinese American
Top 5 liberal arts school, 3.42 math major/physics minor
GMAT: 750 (49Q 42 V)
Work experience and leadership: 4 years (at matriculation) of life sciences management consulting at a top econ consulting firm - 2 promotions
Community and others: Grassroots political activist and organizer, mentor for immigrant youth, marathoner, write healthcare policy pieces, film criticism, and fashion blog. Vice chairman of undergrad student invest committee
Short term goal: Healthcare system consulting at McKinsey or Avalere
Long term goal: Healthcare delivery reform at healthcare system or government
Why MBA: Develop leadership/management skills, gain broader business education, learn more about healthcare systems, develop healthcare industry network
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
virtu333 wrote:
Chinese American
Work experience and leadership: 4 years (at matriculation) of life sciences management consulting at a top econ consulting firm - 2 promotions
Community and others: Grassroots political activist and organizer, mentor for immigrant youth, marathoner, write healthcare policy pieces, film criticism, and fashion blog. Vice chairman of undergrad student invest committee
Why MBA: Develop leadership/management skills, gain broader business education, learn more about healthcare systems, develop healthcare industry network

Hi, what degree did you take at liberal arts school? Is it Bachelor's? And it's not clear, why you target Harvard: your goals fit all top-20 b-schools. As for your strengths, your mentorship for immigrants and community activities will be a good asset, if you can demonstrate positive impact (what do you teach youth and how this improved their adaptation in foreign environment? can you provide impressive real-life examples and results?)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
virtu333 wrote:
Chinese American

I like this profile. Your GPA is a little low, but the Adcom will recognize that you got it in a difficult major from a prestigious school. So don't sweat too much about that.

The key to your application will be in arguing that your work experience is impactful, prestigious, and the ideal preparation for your future ambitions. HBS in particular plays favorites with firms and will weight your past work experience most heavily in the process. If you feel comfortable sharing, I can see how common it is to see people from your firm at HBS. If it is less common, you'll really need to double down on the personal narrative part of your application and argue that you couldn't have picked a better preparation for Healthcare consulting at McKinsey than your firm.

The other challenge is in telling a story about how moving from one consulting firm to another is both inspiring and impactful. The HBS Adcom doesn't want to just help people make incremental changes. They want to help people make transformative improvements to both their careers and the world. A few ideas come to mind, but this is the second big question you need to answer in your application. If you get both done you'll have a great chance!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
NateFromHBS wrote:
virtu333 wrote:
Chinese American

I like this profile. Your GPA is a little low, but the Adcom will recognize that you got it in a difficult major from a prestigious school. So don't sweat too much about that.

The key to your application will be in arguing that your work experience is impactful, prestigious, and the ideal preparation for your future ambitions. HBS in particular plays favorites with firms and will weight your past work experience most heavily in the process. If you feel comfortable sharing, I can see how common it is to see people from your firm at HBS. If it is less common, you'll really need to double down on the personal narrative part of your application and argue that you couldn't have picked a better preparation for Healthcare consulting at McKinsey than your firm.

The other challenge is in telling a story about how moving from one consulting firm to another is both inspiring and impactful. The HBS Adcom doesn't want to just help people make incremental changes. They want to help people make transformative improvements to both their careers and the world. A few ideas come to mind, but this is the second big question you need to answer in your application. If you get both done you'll have a great chance!

Thanks Nate, some great advice here. In terms of the firm sending people to HBS, there isn't a huge history. One of my co-workers did get in and graduated this year, others who have gone to HBS typically had some other work experience after working at my firm (e.g, a former co-worker worked at my firm for 3 years and then a NGO for 1 year and will be attending HBS this fall). Then again, our firm is relatively small so it's a bit hard to gauge what history really looks like (in the past two years, my division has had 1 Booth, 1 HBS, 1 Haas, 1 Wharton).

In terms of going from life sciences consulting (essentially pharmaceutical consulting) to healthcare consulting, my main reason for doing so is breadth of work and exposure. I also considered going straight into working for healthcare systems or insurers, like a Kaiser or Cigna, but I think going back to consulting with a focus on healthcare systems would provide me with a stronger perspective of healthcare as a whole and provide a stronger foundation before going to a more public service oriented role or into industry. Right now, my consulting work is more niche. Of course, the MBA is also to help develop my leadership/management skills, meet and learn from more people in the healthcare industry, and gain some foundational knowledge as well.

Another vague thought is whether I should retake the GMAT; I usually scored 760 or 770 on my practice but flubbed the quant on the real thing and got a 750. It also looks like we'll be able to take the sections in whatever order we want in July/August, which could be helpful as well. On the other hand, retaking a 750 could look neurotic (sent scores at test center) and it'd take away time spent on essays.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Bookmarks
Background and nationality: indian female. 7 years work experience in government sector. Cleared cfa level 1
Undergrad Information: BE with 67%. Was elected training and placement coordinator
GMAT:760
Work experience: varied experience in different sectors under Govt. Always as head of department with 100+ staff members
Community and others: launched eye donation campaign, taught students from poor background, volunteered in US for four months.
Post MBA goals: shift to consulting

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Thanks in advance for taking a look at my profile - I'm pretty new at the MBA admissions world and am just looking for some advice as to whether Harvard's really in the cards with my background - as well as any pointers as to how to shore up my weaknesses.

High Level:
27 years old, White male, US citizen
Education: Elite US University (Top 7), Double Major in Biological Sciences and American History, minor in Chemistry

Stats:
GPA: 3.25
GMAT: 770 (46V, 50Q), 6.0 AWA, 7 IR

Work Experience:
- 5 years working for a consulting/business process management firm that supports public sector healthcare programs in the US. The firm played a large role in helping to implement health care reform in the US and supports state and federal clients that administer large public insurance and other entitlement programs
- Have been promoted twice and served in a number of different roles. Started out in the operations/consulting unit, working with individual clients to address their operational issues or stand up new programs. Upon last promotion was selected to lead own team (though now only three analysts currently) focused on identifying adjacent markets and new strategic partnerships for the firm's business in the domestic (US) health space
- Have had a number of key accomplishments, including proposing the acquisition of a competitor, pitching the idea to executives at my company, and helping lead the due diligence and integration process once the deal was approved. I received a corporate award for this that's only given to around 15 people a year worldwide out of a total of 18,000 employees

Extracurriculars - was drum major of the marching band at fairly large school (>100 members in band) and also led pep band for all men's and women's basketball games. Was also active in a fraternity, with a couple of minor leadership roles. Currently on alumni board for the group

Philanthropy - was philanthropy chair of my fraternity for a year, and worked for a summer for an environmental protection-focused not-for-profit. After graduation I work with the corporate foundation my company runs, meeting community groups and attending dinners/events to present.

Essays/Recs - this post nonwithstanding I think I can pull together excellent essays, and plan to start writing as soon as applications are available. I also believe that my recommendations will be excellent, based on their feedback on my performance/a draft that one of them let me read.

MBA Goals - move into strategy and operations consulting for the health care sector, particularly for clients/companies that interact with the programs that I've supported in the past (Medicaid, Medicare, etc.)

I imagine my GPA will be a big stumbling block, as I was below the mean at my university (though I suppose the hard science degree might help a bit). I don't have a great way of explaining it away unfortunately, though I do think my strong job performance and recommendations will get across that I can handle the work. I did a lot better on the GMAT than I expected too (though I studied for like 6 months). I'm really just looking to see what range of schools I should apply to - with my GPA are Harvard/Stanford/Wharton out of the question or should I be a bit less pessimistic? Any help at all would be much appreciated - thank you in advance for your time and for taking a look at this
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
niki86 wrote:
Background and nationality: indian female. 7 years work experience in government sector. Cleared cfa level 1
Undergrad Information: BE with 67%. Was elected training and placement coordinator
GMAT:760
Work experience: varied experience in different sectors under Govt. Always as head of department with 100+ staff members
Community and others: launched eye donation campaign, taught students from poor background, volunteered in US for four months.
Post MBA goals: shift to consulting

Posted from my mobile device

Hi! Your strengths are good GMAT, managerial position and community activities. You make your profile stronger, you should emphasize on your achievements (activities that could prove your positive impact on a government sector you work) and reasons to switch on consulting. Maybe it'd be good to think of a particular direction in consulting, which you're going to work in (why this direction? what are you going to do there? how are your skills, practice and achievement be relevant and applicable in this direction?) That will be a good start to understand, whether HBS is a right choice for you.
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Split23 wrote:
Thanks in advance for taking a look at my profile - I'm pretty new at the MBA admissions world and am just looking for some advice as to whether Harvard's really in the cards with my background - as well as any pointers as to how to shore up my weaknesses.

High Level:
27 years old, White male, US citizen
Education: Elite US University (Top 7), Double Major in Biological Sciences and American History, minor in Chemistry

Stats:
GPA: 3.25
GMAT: 770 (46V, 50Q), 6.0 AWA, 7 IR

Work Experience:
- 5 years working for a consulting/business process management firm that supports public sector healthcare programs in the US. The firm played a large role in helping to implement health care reform in the US and supports state and federal clients that administer large public insurance and other entitlement programs
- Have been promoted twice and served in a number of different roles. Started out in the operations/consulting unit, working with individual clients to address their operational issues or stand up new programs. Upon last promotion was selected to lead own team (though now only three analysts currently) focused on identifying adjacent markets and new strategic partnerships for the firm's business in the domestic (US) health space
- Have had a number of key accomplishments, including proposing the acquisition of a competitor, pitching the idea to executives at my company, and helping lead the due diligence and integration process once the deal was approved. I received a corporate award for this that's only given to around 15 people a year worldwide out of a total of 18,000 employees

Extracurriculars - was drum major of the marching band at fairly large school (>100 members in band) and also led pep band for all men's and women's basketball games. Was also active in a fraternity, with a couple of minor leadership roles. Currently on alumni board for the group

Philanthropy - was philanthropy chair of my fraternity for a year, and worked for a summer for an environmental protection-focused not-for-profit. After graduation I work with the corporate foundation my company runs, meeting community groups and attending dinners/events to present.

Essays/Recs - this post nonwithstanding I think I can pull together excellent essays, and plan to start writing as soon as applications are available. I also believe that my recommendations will be excellent, based on their feedback on my performance/a draft that one of them let me read.

MBA Goals - move into strategy and operations consulting for the health care sector, particularly for clients/companies that interact with the programs that I've supported in the past (Medicaid, Medicare, etc.)

I imagine my GPA will be a big stumbling block, as I was below the mean at my university (though I suppose the hard science degree might help a bit). I don't have a great way of explaining it away unfortunately, though I do think my strong job performance and recommendations will get across that I can handle the work. I did a lot better on the GMAT than I expected too (though I studied for like 6 months). I'm really just looking to see what range of schools I should apply to - with my GPA are Harvard/Stanford/Wharton out of the question or should I be a bit less pessimistic? Any help at all would be much appreciated - thank you in advance for your time and for taking a look at this

You seem to have nice profile, indeed. I'd advise you to work on your post-MBA goals to shape your role role up: are going to improve smth or solve a big problem? why do you believe you'll be a competitive candidate for this role? Where do you see yourself in 10 years? And think of 2-3 more schools from top-10 list, in addition to top-3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM