Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Demographics : Indian(Male)
Age at time of applying : 29
Undergrad : Electrical Engineering from NIT(Top 15 schools in India)
Undergrad CGPA - 8.5(Top 10 in class of 100)
GMAT : 750
Quant score - Q50
Verbal score - V41

Work Ex
Worked as an Associate consultant at Oracle Financial services for 18 months.
Responsibilities included interfacing with the client to get the project specifications and timelines mapped.
Post this joined an early stage ed-tech startup as a business development associate. In my 4 years there, was promoted thrice and was working as the City Head for Mumbai - owning the P&L and revenue targets for the city.
For almost an year in this role consistently delivered the set targets and was working closely with the Business Head and the COO of the company.

After a successful stint, moved to a health care startup where I got the chance to head and setup their central operations team from scratch. Worked there for 6 months, but was let go along with another 100 odd employees.

Thankfully the previous ed-tech startup welcomed me back and am currently working on building their Customer Experience team for international markets.

Extra curriculars:

Part of an education project in college where we conducted regular classes for the kids of all the blue collar staff in the college and from neighbouring areas.
Helped the club grow from 50 members to 300 members in my time there.

Went beyond my responsibilities at my work and setup an extensive 1 month bootcamp for more than 600 teachers to help them refine their math concepts.
Designed a process around it that eventually became a part of the on-boarding process.

Active Pokemon Go player - an AR based community game. Have built an active community of close to 500 people in my city who have similar enthusiasm for the game - with regular meet-ups, competitions, a monthly magazine and many other initiatives to grow and keep the community engaged.

Post MBA Goals -
In the short term I want to continue working with the ed-tech startup as I believe that with the business knowledge I gain, I would be able to contribute much more and take up more responsibilities at the organisation.

In the long term, I would want to continue working in business development in the education sector itself - preferably use my experience in helping young ed-tech startups in India achieve growth at scale.

I know it's a long post but your thoughts on how to position my application and any inputs that help improve my chances will be really helpful.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello SameerSid0410,

Great profile for ISB. Since you mention you would be going back to work at the same startup, are you being sponsored?
For positioning, just try and find a common thread to all the job changes you have had.
SameerSid0410 wrote:
Demographics : Indian(Male)
Age at time of applying : 29
Undergrad : Electrical Engineering from NIT(Top 15 schools in India)
Undergrad CGPA - 8.5(Top 10 in class of 100)
GMAT : 750
Quant score - Q50
Verbal score - V41

Work Ex
Worked as an Associate consultant at Oracle Financial services for 18 months.
Responsibilities included interfacing with the client to get the project specifications and timelines mapped.
Post this joined an early stage ed-tech startup as a business development associate. In my 4 years there, was promoted thrice and was working as the City Head for Mumbai - owning the P&L and revenue targets for the city.
For almost an year in this role consistently delivered the set targets and was working closely with the Business Head and the COO of the company.

After a successful stint, moved to a health care startup where I got the chance to head and setup their central operations team from scratch. Worked there for 6 months, but was let go along with another 100 odd employees.

Thankfully the previous ed-tech startup welcomed me back and am currently working on building their Customer Experience team for international markets.

Extra curriculars:

Part of an education project in college where we conducted regular classes for the kids of all the blue collar staff in the college and from neighbouring areas.
Helped the club grow from 50 members to 300 members in my time there.

Went beyond my responsibilities at my work and setup an extensive 1 month bootcamp for more than 600 teachers to help them refine their math concepts.
Designed a process around it that eventually became a part of the on-boarding process.

Active Pokemon Go player - an AR based community game. Have built an active community of close to 500 people in my city who have similar enthusiasm for the game - with regular meet-ups, competitions, a monthly magazine and many other initiatives to grow and keep the community engaged.

Post MBA Goals -
In the short term I want to continue working with the ed-tech startup as I believe that with the business knowledge I gain, I would be able to contribute much more and take up more responsibilities at the organisation.

In the long term, I would want to continue working in business development in the education sector itself - preferably use my experience in helping young ed-tech startups in India achieve growth at scale.

I know it's a long post but your thoughts on how to position my application and any inputs that help improve my chances will be really helpful.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
Hi

Kindly evaluate my profile .

GMAT 720 (Q51 , V35)

10th - 9.6/10 CGPA

12th - 97.4%

B.Tech (Mechanical) - 7.32 CGPA NIT Surat

Work Ex - 4 years as on today .
Schneider Electric - Joined as GET and worked for 2.5 years as Quality Assurance Engineer. Been a part of multiple process improvement projects , new product launches, audits etc . Managed a team of 14 operators and 2 Junior Engineers.

Flextronics Technologies - 1.5 years - Switch from Plant to Corporate . Role change from Quality to Supply Chain. Responsible for Global Return Merchandise Authorization and Vendor Return Authorization , Inventory Forecasting and Inventory Control

Certified Six Sigma Green Belt from ISI Delhi
Certified IMS Internal Auditor ISO 9001:2015 ; ISO 14001:2015

Extra-Curricular : Head of Publicity and Informals committees in NIT Surat's Cultural Fest in 2015 & 2016 respectively.
Part of Nirvana (A student chapter of NIT Surat working for the underprivileged children residing within the college campus)
Current Student
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
Hi

GMAT 720 (Q51 , V35)

10th - 9.6/10 CGPA

12th - 97.4%

Schneider Electric - Joined as GET and worked for 2.5 years as Quality Assurance Engineer. Been a part of multiple process improvement projects , new product launches, audits etc . Managed a team of 14 operators and 2 Junior Engineers.

Flextronics Technologies - 1.5 years - Switch from Plant to Corporate . Role change from Quality to Supply Chain. Responsible for Global Return Merchandise Authorization and Vendor Return Authorization , Inventory Forecasting and Inventory Control

Extra-Curricular : Head of Publicity and Informals committees in NIT Surat's Cultural Fest in 2015 & 2016 respectively.
Part of Nirvana (A student chapter of NIT Surat working for the underprivileged children residing within the college campus)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello kgattem,

You have a good profile for ISB. Though your GOA is a little low, it is compensated by above average GMAT for ISB.
I think you have a good story for change in your field. Do you have EC or Volunteering experience thet is more current?
In all, you hace a strong profile for ISB, with good chances with strong essays.

kgattem wrote:
Hi

GMAT 720 (Q51 , V35)

10th - 9.6/10 CGPA

12th - 97.4%

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 201
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Profile Evaluation

GMAT : 720

Educational Qualification - B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from Uttar Pradesh Technical University.

WE: 7 Years and 1 Month

Profile : Working in Sales and Marketing Profile for one of the MAHARATNA PSUs ( a FORTUNE 500 Company) as an Asst Manager.
Got into the Organization post giving GATE.
Worked in the Lubricants Department of the Organization since then in the field of Sales and Marketing.
Have worked in Eastern UP for 5 years looking after multiple channels in 9 Districts with a top line of 16 Crs and Bottom Line of 3 Crs.
Currently handling 2 Channels for the Western Gujarat Spanning over 10 Districts.

Why to Join MBA [Short Term Goal] - To Crystallize the abstract / incomplete knowledge obtained by working in Sales and Marketing Profile. Utilize this knowledge in work to give a multiplier in career growth.

Long Term Growth - To be in a FMCG company in a capacity of National Level role - Brand Manager / Strategy Manager.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 201
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
Send PM
Profile Evaluation

Educational Qualification - B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from Uttar Pradesh Technical University.

Profile : Working in Sales and Marketing Profile for one of the MAHARATNA PSUs ( a FORTUNE 500 Company) as an Asst Manager.
Worked in the Lubricants Department of the Organization since then in the field of Sales and Marketing.
Have worked in Eastern UP for 5 years looking after multiple channels in 9 Districts with a top line of 16 Crs and Bottom Line of 3 Crs.
Currently handling 2 Channels for the Western Gujarat Spanning over 10 Districts.

Why to Join MBA [Short Term Goal] - To Crystallize the abstract / incomplete knowledge obtained by working in Sales and Marketing Profile. Utilize this knowledge in work to give a multiplier in career growth.

Long Term Growth - To be in a FMCG company in a capacity of National Level role - Brand Manager / Strategy Manager.

MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Supss wrote:
Hi. Thank you for the reply

I don’t have any extra curricular excellences as such, unfortunately.
I do have an 9 month association with Mentor Me India, it’s a mentoring programme. However due to covid it’s been shut since March. So before that I was with MMI for 9 months.

Have some school and college level academic excellences, along with some recognitions at work.

Thanks, in that case will suggest improving your score by 40-60 points and then apply.
All the best!
MBA Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
samarth2426 wrote:
Profile Evaluation

Hi samarth2426,
Good profile and and even better GMAT score at this level of experience. Suggest you should target an industry shift now rather than wait for the long-term since it'll progressively get difficult to change. The principles of S&M won't change but the application will and you'd want to start to learn the tricks of the FMCG trade sooner than later.
I'm sure the budding sales & marketing professionals in the class can learn a lot from your experience.

Cheers,
Manan
Co-founder, S4G | ISB Class of 2013
MBA Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Supss wrote:
My only concern is that round 2 is going to be more difficult in terms of competition. And any idea, what would the tentative time like of round 2 be?

First principle- apply when you're ready not matter whatever round you're targeting. Yes, it's beneficial to apply early but only when you have all the boxes ticked and in case you are able to re-take and score better by R1 deadline, then march on! Work on your application in parallel. It isn't impossible.

Feel free to reach out for further queries. All the best!
MBA Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
There's a dedicated ISB profile evaluation thread here. Please use that for your queries.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/profile-eval ... l#p2600179
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 670 Q51 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Hello Experts,
Please find below my profile in short:

27 yr Male, Indian with Online GMAT: 740 (Q51 V38 IR7)

Educational Qualification:
-An engineer from Thapar University: CGPA- 8.15/10
-12th: 89.6%
-10th: 95% - School topper, Scholarship holder

Work Ex.:
ZS Associates (2 months - presently working):
- Associate consultant. Working in the Business Consulting group leveraging Decision Analytics in Sales & Marketing projects for the top 10 global pharmaceutical clients.
- Switched job to learn on the marketing side as well as to work in a consulting firm

EXL Analytics (4.5 years):
-Worked in the field of risk analytics, providing analytical solutions to a major US bank
-Fast track promotions. 3 promotions in 4 years. Grown from an Analyst to a team lead. Handled a team of 4
-Client appreciations and Award
-On-site travel for business meetings and knowledge session with the client
-Member, DART (decision analytics rapid training) team: Train and mentor freshly recruited graduates

Extra-curriculars:
-Member, Team You (Employee Engagement Team): Organize and plan events, festive activities and team outings for the project team in EXL
-Member, Cricket team: Regular participant at corporate tournaments and Box Cricket Leagues. Also managing team of 14 members. Looking after team activities, cricket equipment, and funds. Coordinate practice sessions and tournaments along with the Captain of the team
-Thapar Quizzing Club and Literary Society Secretary: Prepared and organized non-academic quizzes on various themes during college. Also winner and finalists at various Inter College and State Level competitions
-End to end management of 3-day Quizzing Carnival during College Annual Festival
-Hostel Representative, Inter-Hostel Literary Fest: Managed and coordinated daily activities for the team of 3 hostels for 4-day fiesta comprising more than 20 events

Other interests:
Sports enthusiast especially Cricket (play in corporate tournaments regularly), Quizzing, Casual Coin Collector (collector of Indian Rupee commemorative coins)

Goal:
Move into strategy consulting role post MBA. Long term to lead a functional unit (depends on the expertise I gain by that time) of the company
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi rakshit21,

You have got a great profile. Your stats are amazing with a great GMAT score. For your work ex, as you said you have clear career progressions and achievements. Also, I can clearly see leadership and international experiences too. Your ECs are in a range of areas and are amazing. Your goal makes sense but I would advise you to make them truly yours. Give it a shape distinct from the herd and unique to you. Also, you have recently switched jobs to learn more about sales and marketing, so it would work great for you if you relate your goals to this function.

With this profile, I suggest you look for some other great schools, too, in Europe like HEC Paris and Said, as these are quite a match to your profile. If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call sometimes this week to discuss some good schools and your chances in further detail. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
Linkedin
rakshit21 wrote:
Hello Experts,
Please find below my profile in short:

27 yr Male, Indian with Online GMAT: 740 (Q51 V38 IR7)

Educational Qualification:
-An engineer from Thapar University: CGPA- 8.15/10
-12th: 89.6%
-10th: 95% - School topper, Scholarship holder

Work Ex.:
ZS Associates (2 months - presently working):
- Associate consultant. Working in the Business Consulting group leveraging Decision Analytics in Sales & Marketing projects for the top 10 global pharmaceutical clients.
- Switched job to learn on the marketing side as well as to work in a consulting firm

EXL Analytics (4.5 years):
-Worked in the field of risk analytics, providing analytical solutions to a major US bank
-Fast track promotions. 3 promotions in 4 years. Grown from an Analyst to a team lead. Handled a team of 4
-Client appreciations and Award
-On-site travel for business meetings and knowledge session with the client
-Member, DART (decision analytics rapid training) team: Train and mentor freshly recruited graduates

Extra-curriculars:
-Member, Team You (Employee Engagement Team): Organize and plan events, festive activities and team outings for the project team in EXL
-Member, Cricket team: Regular participant at corporate tournaments and Box Cricket Leagues. Also managing team of 14 members. Looking after team activities, cricket equipment, and funds. Coordinate practice sessions and tournaments along with the Captain of the team
-Thapar Quizzing Club and Literary Society Secretary: Prepared and organized non-academic quizzes on various themes during college. Also winner and finalists at various Inter College and State Level competitions
-End to end management of 3-day Quizzing Carnival during College Annual Festival
-Hostel Representative, Inter-Hostel Literary Fest: Managed and coordinated daily activities for the team of 3 hostels for 4-day fiesta comprising more than 20 events

Other interests:
Sports enthusiast especially Cricket (play in corporate tournaments regularly), Quizzing, Casual Coin Collector (collector of Indian Rupee commemorative coins)

Goal:
Move into strategy consulting role post MBA. Long term to lead a functional unit (depends on the expertise I gain by that time) of the company
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
ISBeacon wrote:
Thelionking1234 wrote:
[list]Short term: Gaining some management experience after finishing my MBA. Area of Interest: Strategy, Consulting.

Hi Thelionking1234, considering your goal (and past experience) of entrepreneurship, strategy consulting might not be a best fit short term goal. Working in a high-growth startup may be a better alignment.

However, all this can be brainstormed later. Your immediate and utmost priority has to be on getting a 700+ score on GMAT.

Hii

I finished my GMAT today, unfortunately I could not hit the target of 720. I have scored in the range of 700-720 on official mocks.

I took the GMAT at the test center and scored 690 (Q49, V35)

Now to meet the dead line of 20th September I think I should focus on profile. Retaking the GMAT is little tough with my job now. Please advise.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
Thelionking1234 wrote:
Hii

First of all thank you in advance for evaluating my profile.

Academics:

1) 10th -87.8%
    2) 12th Science - 79%
    3) Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering -Gujarat Technological University - 8.5 CGPA (~80%)

Work Experience

I have been working in German MNC (in India) as a Plant layout and piping design engineer since July 2014. So as of now my total Work experience is 6 years. My current position is: Senior Executive Engineer. From Last 2 years along with my work in company I have been managing and training 2-3 Junior engineers.

I have 3 months of International experience, I had worked in our German office for 3 months

Extra curricular

During my college days, I had worked as Mathematics Paper setter and supervisor in private coaching classes, conducted tuition classes for Std 5-8 students living in my society. Also helped 2 students, who were weak in Mathematics, to score their best in JEE entrance examination.

I have co founded 3 Start ups. We group of 2 members worked upon all threes.

1) fkcashback.com - (Company not registered) - Idea was to give cashback to every buyer who purchases online products through us.
    2) studyguru.in - We have made a website for engineering learning videos. After 1 year because of crunch of money we have closed it.
    3) Teawala - Cafe - First start up for which we have registered a company. Along with my current job I have managed this for almost 1.5 years. Later on because of management problems we have sold it.This cafe has been operational since 2016. Even in covid crisis they have managed to survive. My partner was working out of town so majority of on floor decisions were made by me.

Apart from these 3 I had worked upon other 2 Ideas for quite sometime but have not mentioned here.

GMAT

Planned on 27th of August. Targeting - 720+

Future goals

Short term: Gaining some management experience after finishing my MBA. Area of Interest: Strategy, Consulting.
    Long term: I want to start my own business in future.

Thanks

Hi Lion King,

Wow, 3 business ventures. You definitely have a spark in you! I like the current venture and the fact that you handed it over to the workers. I hope you were advising them through the Covid crisis- that would add some more depth to this experience.

Also, if entrepreneurship is a strong desire, why not venture out immediately after PGP? ISB will be a good learning/hunting ground to find like-minded entrepreneurs and also gain the mentorship of professors as well as resources that support entrepreneurship. With 6 years of solid experience under your belt, I am just wondering why you would want to delay your entrepreneurial plans any further? Although strategy consulting is an equally valid short term goal, but doesn't sound that well tied to the entrepreneurial goal. An alternate approach could be to work with a startup, learn on the job and then launch your venture.

The rest of your profile sounds good- I'd love to know more details about your current work experience as you haven't mentioned much here. You can email your resume to me at contact@mbadecoder.com

A 720 GMAT would make your profile solid.

Unfortunately ended up with 690 (Q49, V35)

Please advise.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Hi,

I am a female computer engineer with 9,9,9 academics across 10th, 12th and undergrad. I have a work experience of 4 years and am aspiring to apply to ISB R1. I did apply to ISB last year with a GRE score of 317 however was not invited for an interview. This year i wanted to appear for GMAT but scored only 650 (Q47 V32 IR6 ). Should i retake GMAT( can’t find slots unfortunately and online gmat is only single attempt)? Or must i focus on my application?
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi pg03,

On the surface, your profile looks decent. Your acads are good and 4 years of work experience seem enough. But unfortunately, your GMAT is not very competitive. Now how many computer engineers would be applying with the same work ex and acads but better gmat. So, quality matters more than the quantity. How are you unique? What would you bring new to the ISB community? Focus on getting a robust, unique story. Also, you have applied earlier, so you do have to present the evidence of your improvements since you applied last. So, to better evaluate and guide you, I need more details of your profile. Alternatively, you are welcome to hop on a call with us to brainstorm your chances together.
Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
Linkedin
pg03 wrote:
Hi,

I am a female computer engineer with 9,9,9 academics across 10th, 12th and undergrad. I have a work experience of 4 years and am aspiring to apply to ISB R1. I did apply to ISB last year with a GRE score of 317 however was not invited for an interview. This year i wanted to appear for GMAT but scored only 650 (Q47 V32 IR6 ). Should i retake GMAT( can’t find slots unfortunately and online gmat is only single attempt)? Or must i focus on my application?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  193   194   195   196   197  ...  307