GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 03:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation for ISB PGP Class of 2020 or Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation for ISB PGP Class of 2020 or Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 02:15
Hi Guys,

Could you please review my profile for ISB Class of 2020 or Class of 2021 (Need suggestion if class of 2021 will be a good option?):

1) Age : 35 years

2) Academics
a) GMAT Score - Plan to take by Aug 2018 (Current mock score 670. Hopfully would reach 730.)
b) 10th - 77% (in 1999)
c) 12th - 88.8% (in 2001)
d) Graduation - 62.23% in (in 2005) Electronics and Communication from JNTU affiliated college

3) Work Experience (All my experience is in Application security, Identity and Access Management)
i) 5 Years in 2Hyderabad based companies as Software Engineer in Hyderabad,India (From Jan,2007 to Jan,2012)
ii) Less Than 1 year (9 months) in Singapore as Software Consultant for a Singapore based company (From Feb,2012 to Oct,2012)
iii) 2.5 yaers as a Technical lead in 2 different software gaints (TCS & Wipro) in Bangalore.India (From Jan,2013 to Oct,2015)
iv) 2.5 years as a project manager for a Singapore based company (Mar,2016 to till date and continuing)

By Mar 2019 total experience would be 11years 2 months (7 Years in India and 4 years onsite)
By Mar 2020 total experience would be around 12years (7 Years in India and 5 years onsite)

Still yet to decide which year should I apply for MBA class of 2020 or class of 2021. Need suggestion if class of 2021 will be a good option?

4) Extracurricular
Swimming, Badminton, a couple of CSR activities while working with TCS/Wipro. Not much to say.

Currently looking at these 2 options,
1. Apply for EMBA in NUS or NTU in 2019 (Class of 2020).
2. Apply for PGP in ISB or IIM,Bangalore in 2019 (Class of 2020) or 2020 (Class of 2021)

Let me know if any further information is required. Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB PGP Class of 2020 or Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 02:13
Hello arigmatf

First things first- If you have a compelling reason to pursue an MBA, why would you want to delay it by another year- looking at your years work ex. If you are planning to the take the GMAT by August you can easily apply in R2.

Coming to the profile front, ISB or IIM will look at your profile holistically on the following factors.

1. Academic Potential- They will evaluate your past scores+GMAT to see if you will be able to handle the academic pressure. So withe your past scores a 720+ is recommended.
2. Quality of Work Ex- Industry + Role + No. if Years + Career Progress + Key Achievements. Now you have mentioned the industry role and year, the most important elements are missing- Career Progression & Achievements. With your experience they will want to see decent career progress and maturity. Also be prepared to answer why MBA and why Now?
3. Clarity of Goals- This is the most critical part of an MBA application, more than the GMAT or work ex. What are your future goals? Why do you need an MBA to fulfill these goals? Why ISB/IIM? In the absence of this information, it is virtually impossible to give a detailed feedback.
4. Diversity- Indian. IT. Male. Many years of work ex. You will have to bring out your differentiating factor in your essays. How will the class benefit from your presence?

To summarize, if you are sure of going for an MBA you should target class of 2020 that 2021 (unless your personal situation demands it)
Detailed profile review is tough due to some missing key elements. IIMs might be a slightly better suited choice for you (taking nothing away from ISB). But that decision is to be made later if you have offers from both ISB & IIM.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

arigmatf wrote:
Hi Guys,

Could you please review my profile for ISB Class of 2020 or Class of 2021 (Need suggestion if class of 2021 will be a good option?):

1) Age : 35 years

2) Academics
a) GMAT Score - Plan to take by Aug 2018 (Current mock score 670. Hopfully would reach 730.)
b) 10th - 77% (in 1999)
c) 12th - 88.8% (in 2001)
d) Graduation - 62.23% in (in 2005) Electronics and Communication from JNTU affiliated college

3) Work Experience (All my experience is in Application security, Identity and Access Management)
i) 5 Years in 2Hyderabad based companies as Software Engineer in Hyderabad,India (From Jan,2007 to Jan,2012)
ii) Less Than 1 year (9 months) in Singapore as Software Consultant for a Singapore based company (From Feb,2012 to Oct,2012)
iii) 2.5 yaers as a Technical lead in 2 different software gaints (TCS & Wipro) in Bangalore.India (From Jan,2013 to Oct,2015)
iv) 2.5 years as a project manager for a Singapore based company (Mar,2016 to till date and continuing)

By Mar 2019 total experience would be 11years 2 months (7 Years in India and 4 years onsite)
By Mar 2020 total experience would be around 12years (7 Years in India and 5 years onsite)

Still yet to decide which year should I apply for MBA class of 2020 or class of 2021. Need suggestion if class of 2021 will be a good option?

4) Extracurricular
Swimming, Badminton, a couple of CSR activities while working with TCS/Wipro. Not much to say.

Currently looking at these 2 options,
1. Apply for EMBA in NUS or NTU in 2019 (Class of 2020).
2. Apply for PGP in ISB or IIM,Bangalore in 2019 (Class of 2020) or 2020 (Class of 2021)

Let me know if any further information is required. Thanks in advance.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 21:12
Hi Varun,

Thanks for your detailed review. One more question I have is how would be "EMBA in NUS or NTU - Singapore". when compared to PGP in ISB/IIM?

ThankYou
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 21:25
Hello arigmatf

Although the right answer depends on your detailed profile, future goals and $$$. However, with the limited info I have on you, I would lean towards ISB/IIM (PGP/PGPX) more towards IIMs really. In fact I would highly recommend a full time MBA vs an NUS EMBA. But as I said- based on what little I know about you.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
Quora
LinkedIn
info@mbakarma.com

arigmatf wrote:
Hi Varun,

Thanks for your detailed review. One more question I have is how would be "EMBA in NUS or NTU - Singapore". when compared to PGP in ISB/IIM?

ThankYou

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 09:41
Hi All,

What do say about my profile?

1.) Indian Male, 37
2.) GMAT: 710
3.) Undergrad: Engineer , 80%+
4) Masters: Science, 80% +
4.) 13+ years of work experience in Energy Sector. Currently working as expatriate in KL in major IOC (12 years). International work experience: YES (8 years spanning Africa & SE Asia)
5.) Extra-curricular: Scuba, Chess, Travel blogging, philanthropy

Post MBA goals: Shift to Business Strategy/Planning group within Energy Industry
Long term goals: Be part of Energy Think Tanks, provide solutions Governments/Industries for sustainable, efficient & affordable energy generation/consumption

I am not able to share full details for confidentiality. Do you think that I am on wrong side of the age?

Pluto
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 09:52
Hello PLUTO

Academically, work wise and based on extracurricular your profile is pretty strong. You can read here to know what makes an overall profile.
Coming to the age factor, yes it is surely much higher than the average at ISB but there are a few students every year. The key for you is to show a) why your career goals need an MBA b) why at this stage and from ISB.
If you can tie in this successfully in the essays, then Based on other stats you seem to have a very good chance.
You should also consider the IIM A/C programs as they are more suited for higher years of work ex.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

PLUTO wrote:
Hi All,

1.) Indian Male, 37
4.) 13+ years of work experience in Energy Sector. Currently working as expatriate in KL in major IOC (12 years). International work experience: YES (8 years spanning Africa & SE Asia)

Post MBA goals: Shift to Business Strategy/Planning group within Energy Industry
Long term goals: Be part of Energy Think Tanks, provide solutions Governments/Industries for sustainable, efficient & affordable energy generation/consumption

I am not able to share full details for confidentiality. Do you think that I am on wrong side of the age?

Pluto

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 22:28
PLUTO wrote:
Hi All,

1.) Indian Male, 37

Pluto

Hi Pluto,

Your profile is better suited to the MBA Fellows programs. These are one-year full time MBAs for senior managers who are vying for leadership positions in their next roles. There are quite a few of these: The Sloan fellows Program runs from 3 locations: LBS, MIT Sloan and Stanford. Then there is USC Marshall's iBear program. If you are keen on staying within SE Asia, check out the Nanyang Fellows program.

These programs accept students on a company sponsorship. If this option works for you, then you could get the best education at no/minimal expense.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

We are accepting applicants for mid-October/November deadlines

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 07:44
Hi Namita,

Thanks for the alternate options.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB PGP Class of 2020 or Class of 2021 &nbs [#permalink] 20 Aug 2018, 07:44

Profile Evaluation for ISB PGP Class of 2020 or Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap