Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q40 V35
GMAT 2: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.62
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for MBA in Canada [#permalink]
Hi Shahzil,

You might find it difficult to get into a top 10 program with your current GMAT. You might have to look beyond the top 10 schools, or get a higher GMAT.

Regards,
Karthik

Shahzil92 wrote:
Profile Evaluation:

GMAT: 620 ( Q40, V35, IR 3)
Matric: 66%
Pre-Engineering: 77%
Mechanical Engineering: CGPA 3.62/4
Experience: 5 years in a well reputed company and held important roles-Currently employed in the same company.
Extra-curricular activities: Captain of the university cricket and squash team. Active volunteer at SOS Children's Villages.

Can you guys kindly evaluate my profile and suggest whether I should apply to the top 10 business schools in Canada or not for an MBA? I don't have time to retake the GMAT as I'm looking to get admitted in the mid 2019 intake.

I have my TOEFL exam on 8th December, 2018.

Regards,
Shahzil
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q40 V35
GMAT 2: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.62
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Profile Evaluation for MBA in Canada [#permalink]
Thank you everyone. I have got my TOEFL score-113. Will this make my case stronger?
I'm applying in R2 of the following B-schools:
1- HEC Montreal
2- UBC SAUDER
3- MCGILL
4- ROTMAN
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shahzil92 wrote:
Thank you everyone. I have got my TOEFL score-113. Will this make my case stronger?
I'm applying in R2 of the following B-schools:
1- HEC Montreal
2- UBC SAUDER
3- MCGILL
4- ROTMAN

Hi Shahzil92,

While you have a fine IELTS score, the same will not be able to compensate for your low GMAT score. Most of the top Canadian programs will be out of reach with your current GMAT score, as well as considering the fact that you are applying in the second round.

We strongly recommend that you retake the GMAT!

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
My current profile:

Sex: Male
Nationality: Indian
GMAT Score: not yet taken but am getting 580 on mocks
GPA: 6.62/10 [Transcript attached]
University: Institute of Technology, Nirma University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
Degree/Specialization: B.Tech, Electronics & Communication
Work experience: 1 year 9 months (Full-time) 6 months (Freelancing) [Resume attached]
Designation: Content Writer
Industry: IT services and solutions
Preferred location for MBA: Canada

Current status:
I have taken a break from my full-time job to prepare for GMAT because I wasn't able to prepare alongside the job. So technically, I have been unemployed since Feb 2020.

But, on the flip side, I am currently helping my father to grow his YouTube channel, where he teaches physics in the Gujarati language to 11th and 12th-grade students. I am responsible for doing all the post-production work, from editing videos to doing SEO and CRO (which I learned from my work experience) and uploading videos.

Achievements @ Work:
My core responsibility at work was to create stories that would help the company get more business. For most of my time at work, I wrote high-quality blogs, articles, whitepapers, case studies, and web page content. I have also created business/vendor profiles on some of the most popular business listing websites (e.g., Clutch, G2Crowd, Think Mobile, Good Firms, etc.) for my company.

Leadership:
For once, despite being a content writer, I lead a team of website designers, HTML/CSS developers, and WordPress developers to create a website for a product company. Moreover, I did the on-page SEO of that website by myself, although it wasn't a part of my job profile.

Working on this project gave me an excellent opportunity to work cross-functionally with various teams who have different viewpoints and opinions. The main goal of the project was to redesign the website.

Extra-curriculars College:
I was a technical head in the Electronics and Communications Organization (a.k.a ECO). My responsibilities were to craft and judge technical events/competitions during annual fests at college.
I also brought the participation of almost 200-300 students every year for college fests by visiting various colleges across Gujarat.
I was also one of the instructors in a series of seminars conducted by the college on the topic of "Programming with Arduino."
I co-created a whole new laboratory session/subject/, which would help future students to learn Arduino and how to interface it with various sensors. As a part of it, I created a sensor board with an easy-to-use plug and play sensor modules and a technical user manual that guides students performing practicals.
I also co-founded a startup with my friend called Sivy Electronics. We sold various types of electronic sensors on Amazon and eBay. Plus, we took up projects from multiple clients to build highly-customized IoT (Internet of Things)-based automation products.

Extracurriculars (general):
I am also a singer. I love to sing karaoke songs in house parties, family parties/gatherings.
I have sung over a hundred songs on a karaoke singing platform called Starmaker.
I have also learned Indian classical music professionally for two years.

Post-MBA goals:
Go into technology consulting or consulting in general (haven't yet decided).

Reason to go into consulting - Want to explore various sectors (and find the one I love to work in), learn how the business operates in each of them, meet new people, get global exposure, develop an analytical mindset.

Long-term goals:
To set up my own business and settle in Canada/USA.

Finally, thank you very much for reading all the way through. I would highly appreciate it if you could tell me whether I am eligible for any of the top MBA programs in Canada, i.e., Rotman, Ivey, Schulich, HEC Montreal, McGill, etc. If not, then can you please suggest any other B-schools that I should target. Also, please let me know the GMAT I should target.
Attachments

Geet Patel Resume.pdf [58.58 KiB]
Downloaded 43 times

Transcript.pdf [1.08 MiB]
Downloaded 45 times

GMAT Club Bot