[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 881: Undefined array key "c_ss"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 890: Undefined array key "221_school_count"
HEC Paris Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation : HEC Paris - Page 14
Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 16:48 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 16:48
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: HEC Paris Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi J2S2019 ..
Thank you for sharing all the details. I think you have a good chance if you apply with 700 or more. Better score ~ Better scholarships chances. I would suggest you to consider IESE rather than IE. I think you are good fit for IESE as well. IESE is good for case studies and entrepreneurship. Why not Cambridge/Oxford?
If you have 700, target - HEC, IESE, Cambridge, Oxford.
If 650-670, target IESE, ESADE .. RSM, ESMT, Mannheim.

J2S2019 wrote:

Thank you for your kind reply. I know that i have screwed my GMAT score & i require a more healthy one to opt for premium B schools around the world.
Here is my answers to those questions you have asked :-

1. Why HEC? - I belive with the strong faculty & curriculum structure & with even stronger allumni network, HEC will provide me the platform that is unarguably the best suit for me keeping in mind my carrer objectives.
2. What are your short term and long term goals? - My short term goal is to get acquinted with the management style of working in a more channalized way with a reputed organization. In long term, i would try to build my own venture, a start-up basically in the health care industry.
3. Which other schools you are applying to and where does HEC stands in your list? - I was planning to apply for ESMT,Rotterdam & IE. But HEC stands first in the list.
4. Are you planning to settle in Europe? - Depending upon the situation at my hand after i complete grad from there & also on the work profile i will have at that time.
5. Do you know French or any other international language ? - Not yet.
6. What are your achievements at work? - Became the youngest team leader when my work ex. was ~ 3-4 years, clearing a business related certification internal to the organization, top performer round the clock for last several years, securing newer businesses from the end customer those are financially beneficial for the organization & many more.
7. Does your work in limited to technical or you also take part in some business related activities? - My Work scope dominantly is technical but i am also part of business related activities like driving efficiency improvement programs to guiding team to secure newer business scopes. (...mentioning a couple of these)
8. When are you planning to re-take the GMAT? Your quant is good and clearly need a push in Verbal. How did you prepare for verbal? Can you opt for some course, personal tutoring and boost your score - I am planning to re-take the GMAT in a month or two. I need a definite push in verbal, i am lagging there. Initially my mock verbak score varied a lot from V 28 to V 38 before my first GMAT. I have opted for a course & preparing for the GMAT with a more verbal focused approach now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: HEC Paris Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Leadership wrote:
Hi J2S2019 ..
Thank you for sharing all the details. I think you have a good chance if you apply with 700 or more. Better score ~ Better scholarships chances. I would suggest you to consider IESE rather than IE. I think you are good fit for IESE as well. IESE is good for case studies and entrepreneurship. Why not Cambridge/Oxford?
If you have 700, target - HEC, IESE, Cambridge, Oxford.
If 650-670, target IESE, ESADE .. RSM, ESMT, Mannheim.

J2S2019 wrote:

Thank you for your kind reply. I know that i have screwed my GMAT score & i require a more healthy one to opt for premium B schools around the world.
Here is my answers to those questions you have asked :-

1. Why HEC? - I belive with the strong faculty & curriculum structure & with even stronger allumni network, HEC will provide me the platform that is unarguably the best suit for me keeping in mind my carrer objectives.
2. What are your short term and long term goals? - My short term goal is to get acquinted with the management style of working in a more channalized way with a reputed organization. In long term, i would try to build my own venture, a start-up basically in the health care industry.
3. Which other schools you are applying to and where does HEC stands in your list? - I was planning to apply for ESMT,Rotterdam & IE. But HEC stands first in the list.
4. Are you planning to settle in Europe? - Depending upon the situation at my hand after i complete grad from there & also on the work profile i will have at that time.
5. Do you know French or any other international language ? - Not yet.
6. What are your achievements at work? - Became the youngest team leader when my work ex. was ~ 3-4 years, clearing a business related certification internal to the organization, top performer round the clock for last several years, securing newer businesses from the end customer those are financially beneficial for the organization & many more.
7. Does your work in limited to technical or you also take part in some business related activities? - My Work scope dominantly is technical but i am also part of business related activities like driving efficiency improvement programs to guiding team to secure newer business scopes. (...mentioning a couple of these)
8. When are you planning to re-take the GMAT? Your quant is good and clearly need a push in Verbal. How did you prepare for verbal? Can you opt for some course, personal tutoring and boost your score - I am planning to re-take the GMAT in a month or two. I need a definite push in verbal, i am lagging there. Initially my mock verbak score varied a lot from V 28 to V 38 before my first GMAT. I have opted for a course & preparing for the GMAT with a more verbal focused approach now.

Leadership
Thank you for sailing me through the darkness i am having right now.
some light is what i required to plan the coming days.

I think i will go for a higher score before i start researching & applying for schools.

one more issue i am on my hand is that if my years of experience will somewhat create any difficulties going forward, what i mean to say if it is a notch higher than the avg batch profile if not this year but next year?

Looking forward to hear from you.
Thanks in advance.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
J2S2019
I will send a PM or initiate PC for further discussion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hi there,

I'd love some evaluation on my profile for the September 2020 MiF intake.

German undergrad in his gap year
Undergrad at WHU (2.4, 3.2 GPA converted)
Semester abroad in the US
GMAT 710
Internships in small cap M&A boutique(3months), start-up(3months) and private equity (9months)
extracurricular: Professional athlete for 8 years, even during studies, organised some conferences at university, been a coach for my sport
Post MiF: BB IB in Frankfurt or London

Would love your opinion on my profile!
Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 924
GPA: 4
Send PM
zervuss wrote:
Hi there,

I'd love some evaluation on my profile for the September 2020 MiF intake.

German undergrad in his gap year
Undergrad at WHU (2.4, 3.2 GPA converted)
Semester abroad in the US
GMAT 710
Internships in small cap M&A boutique(3months), start-up(3months) and private equity (9months)
extracurricular: Professional athlete for 8 years, even during studies, organised some conferences at university, been a coach for my sport
Post MiF: BB IB in Frankfurt or London

Would love your opinion on my profile!
Thanks in advance

Good internships an extra-curricular, but how do you convert that as a 3.2 GPA? I'm not familiar with the grading at that university in particular, but your GPA is going to be a weakness you would have to overcome through e.g. a higher gmat.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi all - Looking for some guidance here. I feel that April is pretty late to apply to HEC. Is it worth applying to this deadline with my profile listed below?

Background and nationality: 29 year old Indian male - Principal supply chain consultant with a firm that has over 700 employees worldwide, with 5 years of professional experience, working 3 years in the US and 2 years in India

Undergrad Information: BE in Production Engineering from one of the best private engineering schools in the state (Tamil Nadu) - 8.0 / 10 - graduated in the top 10% of my class, won best outgoing project award

Graduate Info: MS in Industrial Engineering with a supply chain focus from Penn State - GPA 3.46 / 4 - published a paper in a large journal as a part of my thesis which was presented in France and shortlisted for the best paper award

GMAT: 710 (91%), verbal 40 (91%), quants 48 (71%), AWA 5.5 (81%), IR 8 (92%) - test taken in April 2017

Work experience and leadership -
Worked for 3 years in the US and 2 years in India
Managed a variety involving design and implementation of supply chain solutions for businesses across multiple verticals.
Job functions involve handling Customer Sales Order Fulfillment, Inventory Management, Demand and Supply Planning, and Inventory Management for clients.
Instrumental in signing on and retaining 7 clients resulting in revenues of around $5 million.
Recognized for my efforts and I received the Best Consultant, 2019 award out of over 400 employees in India.
Mentor to 8 junior consultants in the company.

Community and others -
Volunteer with the Open Door Foundation, teaching science and math to disadvantaged girls from Grades 9-10.
Actively donate to support education, giving away a part of my yearly salary to organizations such as Make a Difference which focuses on educational development of underprivileged children
Also volunteered with Akshaya Nidhi (the for-profit wing of Akshaya Patra), working on market research of new products and upscale of existing product lines

Post MBA goals - Move into strategy and management consulting and leverage the knowledge gain into my father’s tea export business.

Anything else? -
Avid quizzer, and play Ultimate Frisbee and Tennis
At the age of 18, was one of the co-founders of the only quiz club in my city in South India - an organization that is now 80 members strong
President of my college's quiz club leading 25+ students
Conducted communication skills workshops for students from rural backgrounds in my college
Acted in plays and was actively involved in theater during college
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi vidyuthanand90 ..
You can still apply to Jan 2021 intake. You can't change the profile. Kindly make sure that you have enough time to write compelling stories and essays and to prepare full application. HEC application is big and requires a lot of time. Your age is same as the average of the class. Your GMAT 710 is just above the average of the class. Your academics look strong. Professional profile is interesting. Extra-curricular is fine. So, overall good :)

It seems feasible that you want to go into consulting for few years and later join your dad's business. Which geographical area you are targeting for consulting jobs - India/US/Europe? In Europe, you would need local language. Do you know any International language?
Do you know the companies coming to campus or via networking that offer consulting jobs? Do you have some networking? Did you consult any current student or alumni about the path which you want to follow?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Leadership wrote:
Hi vidyuthanand90 ..
You can still apply to Jan 2021 intake. You can't change the profile. Kindly make sure that you have enough time to write compelling stories and essays and to prepare full application. HEC application is big and requires a lot of time. Your age is same as the average of the class. Your GMAT 710 is just above the average of the class. Your academics look strong. Professional profile is interesting. Extra-curricular is fine. So, overall good :)

It seems feasible that you want to go into consulting for few years and later join your dad's business. Which geographical area you are targeting for consulting jobs - India/US/Europe? In Europe, you would need local language. Do you know any International language?
Do you know the companies coming to campus or via networking that offer consulting jobs? Do you have some networking? Did you consult any current student or alumni about the path which you want to follow?

Thanks for the response and for the profile eval!
I am targeting Europe to consult in. I have already learnt a bit of French and German as part of my academics, but am planning to get at least a B1 level certification in French prior to the school start date.
I haven't networked with HEC alums as yet but have been in touch with a few INSEAD folks (already applied to INSEAD round 1). I will soon start getting in touch with HEC folks.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi vidyuthanand90 ..
Adding an International language in your skill set is always an advantage. Remember, the next deadline is quite near. You can follow the discussion HERE. All the best for your application.

vidyuthanand90 wrote:
I am targeting Europe to consult in. I have already learnt a bit of French and German as part of my academics, but am planning to get at least a B1 level certification in French prior to the school start date.
I haven't networked with HEC alums as yet but have been in touch with a few INSEAD folks (already applied to INSEAD round 1). I will soon start getting in touch with HEC folks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Leadership wrote:
Hi vidyuthanand90 ..
Adding an International language in your skill set is always an advantage. Remember, the next deadline is quite near. You can follow the discussion HERE. All the best for your application.

vidyuthanand90 wrote:

Thanks. Yes I am preparing for it. An advantage is that I applied to INSEAD already so I have multiple essays prepared just for this. I should be able to complete the HEC essays soon.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Background and nationality - Indian (male), age at application stage - 26, Business education (Undergrad and post-grad from top tier institutes in India)
GMAT: 730 -740 (Realistic target)
Undergrad Gpa- 7.48(equivalent to 4.0 acc to gmac)

Post grad Gpa - 2.93/4.33 from IIM (top 30% of class)

Work experience and leadership - 3.5 years (during application) CPG firm in India, led a team of 10+ management graduates for all these 3.5 yrs, promotion in 2 years, youngest and fastest to get promoted, youngest state head, highest growth and achievement nos. in first 2 years

Recommendations from Pan India Heads

Community and others -
1) volunteering at a free school for the underprivileged - arranged youth awareness camps and increased enrollment at school
2) Volunteering at a school for special needs children - mostly kids who don't have resources for correct diagnosis - tried to teach them nuances of human interaction and to make them independent in their daily tasks

Hosted a tedx event and achieved a blackbelt in martial arts, opportunity to represent country and state in international and national competitions

Post MBA goals - transition to consulting and then start an entrepreneurial venture

zero international experience, but experienced many cultures in India

Ideal GMAt score considering my background

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi doublewhammy ..
Your academics are strong. I hope you will get 730 in GMAT.
You need to explain your achievements - What you did actually? How you lead the team?
Extracurriculars are decent.

Suggestions:
1. One of the recommender should strengthen your claim - youngest and fastest to get promoted, youngest state head,
2. Pick the recommenders who know you well and can cite some examples, mention strengths and weaknesses.
3. Experiencing different cultures of India would not make you unique among the Indian pool. Try to find how you can make it unique.

Why HEC?
Which other schools are you targeting?
Be ready for - why you want to do a Second MBA?
Which other languages do you know?

When are you applying? The upcoming intake is Jan 21.
You can find all the details here - LINK
doublewhammy wrote:
Background and nationality - Indian (male), age at application stage - 26, Business education (Undergrad and post-grad from top tier institutes in India)
GMAT: 730 -740 (Realistic target)
Undergrad Gpa- 7.48(equivalent to 4.0 acc to gmac)

Post grad Gpa - 2.93/4.33 from IIM (top 30% of class)

Work experience and leadership - 3.5 years (during application) CPG firm in India, led a team of 10+ management graduates for all these 3.5 yrs, promotion in 2 years, youngest and fastest to get promoted, youngest state head, highest growth and achievement nos. in first 2 years

Recommendations from Pan India Heads

Community and others -
1) volunteering at a free school for the underprivileged - arranged youth awareness camps and increased enrollment at school
2) Volunteering at a school for special needs children - mostly kids who don't have resources for correct diagnosis - tried to teach them nuances of human interaction and to make them independent in their daily tasks

Hosted a tedx event and achieved a blackbelt in martial arts, opportunity to represent country and state in international and national competitions

Post MBA goals - transition to consulting and then start an entrepreneurial venture

zero international experience, but experienced many cultures in India

Ideal GMAt score considering my background

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Ross '21 HEC '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V36
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
Hello,

Looking for profile evaluation as well as suggestions on whether it's better to apply to J21 or S21. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Background and nationality: Indian male, 26
BBA from 2nd ranked college for the course in India

Undergrad Information: BBA, 3/4
Multiple collegiate sports medals as well as leadership positions

GMAT: 710

Work experience and leadership: 4.5 years, exclusively at early-stage startups. Lead teams in every company, initiated multiple markets and setup sales departments.

Community and others: 15 years of annual participation in a family-organized, public feast for farmers and underprivileged

Post-MBA goals: Working in Marketing and Sales for consumer products brand leveraging sustainability and tech. Eg- tesla, noah
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi yadavsaransh ..
It depends on you whether you want to join J21 os S21. J21 applications are still running. The upcoming deadline is June 8. You can check more details about it HERE

If you think you can complete your application before the upcoming deadline (remember, HEC application is big), you should apply to J21 round. As many deadlines are gone, the number of seats would be less. You can apply to S21 round in Aug/Sep 20.

You have a good GMAT score and a slight edge because of BBA (not typical Indian Engineer profile). You need to quantify your achievements to show impact. Unfortunately, the below details are not much to comment on professional impact. Extracurricular and community work could be improved further.

Do you know any other languages? Any international experience directly or indirectly?

I think you should introspect more and improve your profile a bit before applying. Take some time and give your best shot.
yadavsaransh wrote:
Hello,

Looking for profile evaluation as well as suggestions on whether it's better to apply to J21 or S21. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Work experience and leadership: 4.5 years, exclusively at early-stage startups. Lead teams in every company, initiated multiple markets and setup sales departments.

Community and others: 15 years of annual participation in a family-organized, public feast for farmers and underprivileged

Post-MBA goals: Working in Marketing and Sales for consumer products brand leveraging sustainability and tech. Eg- tesla, noah
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 617 [1]
Given Kudos: 183
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
yadavsaransh wrote:
Hello,

Hi yadavsaransh,

With the rest of your profile being good, I am wondering about the connection between your career goals and your work experience so far. Would be great to hear back more on this.

Also your community experience sounds interesting and differentiated. Since this is a family initiative running probably since or before the time you were 9 years old, it would be pertinent to know your exact role here. Have you taken leadership? Have you initiated something to make the event better? Convinced the family elders to change an approach for the betterment of the event? If you have positive answers for these questions, you could have a great leadership story in hand. If you have just been around and participated with the rest of the family, then there may not be much of a story..would love to hear the details for this one too.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM