GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 11:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation: LBS/HEC Paris Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation: LBS/HEC Paris Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2019, 02:48
Hello,

Hope everybody's doing great!

I'm applying for the Msc In Finance at HEC Paris and LBS, in the last round, which I'm pretty stressed about. So any advice you guys could offer would be highly appreciated! :please

I'm a Moroccan student with an undergrad degree in Business Administration (major: finance, minor: computer science) from Al Akhawayn University. Cumulative GPA: 3.77 (I didn't put in much effort during a couple of semesters which resulted in a couple of B's and C's)

GMAT Score: 740 (47Q, 45V). I know my quant score is quite low, especially since both schools seem to really value strong quantitative skills. I've highlighted some projects and classes that I've taken which require considerable quantitative skills, but I don't know if that's enough to make up for it. I also took the GMAT with zero preparation. I don't know if I should mention that to justify the low quant score, or if that comes off as carelessness on my part.

Internship: I did a summer internship at BMCE, which is a pretty big retailing bank in Africa. As part of my internship, I partook in a rigorous research about financial inclusion in Morocco.

Extra-curriculars: I was a peer-tutor for around two years. I also volunteered in some international events organised by the university.

Do you guys think I have a shot?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Profile Evaluation: LBS/HEC Paris Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 06:19
chubbybunny156 wrote:
Hello,

Hope everybody's doing great!

I'm applying for the Msc In Finance at HEC Paris and LBS, in the last round, which I'm pretty stressed about. So any advice you guys could offer would be highly appreciated! :please

I'm a Moroccan student with an undergrad degree in Business Administration (major: finance, minor: computer science) from Al Akhawayn University. Cumulative GPA: 3.77 (I didn't put in much effort during a couple of semesters which resulted in a couple of B's and C's)

GMAT Score: 740 (47Q, 45V). I know my quant score is quite low, especially since both schools seem to really value strong quantitative skills. I've highlighted some projects and classes that I've taken which require considerable quantitative skills, but I don't know if that's enough to make up for it. I also took the GMAT with zero preparation. I don't know if I should mention that to justify the low quant score, or if that comes off as carelessness on my part.

Internship: I did a summer internship at BMCE, which is a pretty big retailing bank in Africa. As part of my internship, I partook in a rigorous research about financial inclusion in Morocco.

Extra-curriculars: I was a peer-tutor for around two years. I also volunteered in some international events organised by the university.

Do you guys think I have a shot?

Hello chubbybunny156

You should not be stress out.

Since you have Moroccan descent, I understand why you target French school, I assume you do speak French.

The reason you should not be stress out is that you have awesome total GMAT score :clap: and that is apples to apples comparison between candidates.

How awesome is your score, you will figure put when I present you with facts, and they are :

LBS average GMAT of admitted students is 707

HEC average GMAT of admitted students is 691

:)

Enough said.

Now you can mention that you took GMAT with zero prep only if they ask you about it and/or you can justify properly in essay why you didn't prep.

The rest of your profile, GPA, internships, extra curricular activities is just fine.

I would say you have fair chance of getting admitted to both schools.

In case you want to add some more schools on application list and how to target them you can find out in my post about best European Business schools here :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-in-europ ... 82899.html

Good Luck with application :geek: :cool:
MiM-Essay Representative
G
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation: LBS/HEC Paris Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 04:55
Hey chubbybunny156,

Well, HEC and LBS are quite competitive schools and according to your profile, you can list both under the dream school category.

Talking About your Profile, A 3.77 GPA is fair enough - not a dealbreaker, but make sure that you are highlighting other profile strengths to compensate for the same. Secondly, please work on justifying the GPA in your application - You have mentioned that you did not put in much effort during the last semester, but the adcom does not need to know that :p
You will need to come up with a better strategy to present the same.

Your internship looks interesting, so just be a bit judicious about how you are presenting the same.
You can skip the part about taking up the GMAT without rigorous preparation - There is no way to attest to this so this is hardly consequential. Well, 740 is a good score as such, yes quants is a bit low - but as you have highlighted quantitative skills elsewhere, this should not be a big roadblock.

I would suggest you to get your essays proof-read by someone trustworthy as you have to use this space to justify your GPA, talk about your GMAT quants part and showcase your interest in finance as a long term career - These are pretty important aspects, and with the competition in the ROUND 4, it is better to not take a chance :)

Extra-curricular look fair, but again dig deeper and come up with strong experiences to showcase in your application.

The competition in Round 4 is going to be tough, so I would suggest checking out our Masters in Finance Essay editing service so that you can get a competitive edge amongst other applicants.
We have had a good success rate in mentoring applicants who get into top MFin Schools like LBS, Oxford, HEC, Princeton, Vanderbilt, NYU and the likes.

Here's the link: https://www.mim-essay.com/masters-finance-essay-editing/

I hope this helped, good luck!

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:Book an Appointment
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Re: Profile Evaluation: LBS/HEC Paris Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2019, 03:48
Hi,
Indian, Male and Engineer.
GMAT: 710
UnderGrad: 8/10, majors in Computer Science and Engineering, NIT Patna
Work experience of 3 years including 2 years in a tech-startup and some experience with freelancing and an MNC and a brief stint at my own startup
Delivered products that are used by brands like OnePlus and Apple in multiple countries including Netherland, USA, China, Malaysia
Founded E-cell in college, part of college football team, headed clubs and vice house captain in school.
A little understanding of Microeconomics and Game Theory because of taking online courses.
Got an award for excellent service in professional career.
Taught underprivileged kids for free in the first year of college (Got no certificate to claim this)

Do you think I got a chance an HEC?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation: LBS/HEC Paris Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2019, 03:48

Profile Evaluation: LBS/HEC Paris Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status