GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 13:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
B
Profile evaluation request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 21:27
Dear mbamission,
I gave my gmat yesterday and got 680 ( Q48 , V34) IR 7 . About me, I have a bachelors in Biotechnology first class with distinction from university of Pune.
I then came to pursue my MS bioinformatics at NYU school of engineering in NY and graduated in 2012 with 3.89 gpa.
During my MS, I worked as a Teaching assistant for
graduate level analytical chemistry classes. Also, I did an internship at Nathan kline institute as a data analyst from Jan 2012- may 2012. After that I did my summer internship as molecular data profiling intern at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals in Tarrytown, NY.
I started my first Full-time position from August 2012 as a Research associate in a lab at harvard medical school in Boston . I worked on expression profiling and data analysis for brain tumor cells and lymphomas in mice. I worked there from aug 2012-Dec2013.
After that, I have been working at partners healthcare center for personalized medicine in boston as a associate bioinformatician 1 ( got two promotions and now I am bioinformatician 1) . I work on analysis of sequencing data for both clinical patients and research sampls from all across harvard community. I have published 3 peer reviewed papers during my time here in high impact journals . I was also selected to give a lightning talk and present my poster at sanger Institute in cambridge, UK.
I work as a volunteer technology consultant for Escne which is a non profit firm dedicated to help and provide services to other non profits that cannot afford companies like BCG etc.
Extra-Curricular- I played soccer for university for 4 years and won many tournaments.
I wish to target MBA programs in the northeast especially MIT , BU and Tuck. ( maybe Yale)
What would you recommend me to do in order to get into these schools.
Thank you in advance.
Himanshu
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile evaluation request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 17:34
Hi Himanshu,
Thanks for sharing your profile. You certainly have a very interesting professional background, and lots of impressive impact and recognition (papers, promotions, talks, etc.) that you can show. That is great! Your work with the non-profit is great to show community involvement too.

Since your academic background is strong, the only potential weakness I see is your GMAT, which is going to make it tough at schools like MIT and Tuck. Could you retake and try to get a few more points on verbal perhaps? I think it would be worth another attempt to see if you get a slight boost.

Other advice: visit those schools, attend events, talk to students/alums, especially the ones in Boston since you're right there, and Tuck where understanding personal fit is really important. MIT likes to see evidence of positive impact and large-scale change in your work so highlight your leadership there. Use the optional essay to showcase your personality and personal story / motivations. Tuck likes diversity in its class and appreciation for different cultures and environments so highlight your exposure to that for Tuck. For BU I would research and speak to all the great healthcare related resources they have and how their program will benefit your career.

Good luck, and keep us posted if we can help with anything else!
Kate

himanshu04 wrote:
Dear mbamission,
I gave my gmat yesterday and got 680 ( Q48 , V34) IR 7 . About me, I have a bachelors in Biotechnology first class with distinction from university of Pune.
I then came to pursue my MS bioinformatics at NYU school of engineering in NY and graduated in 2012 with 3.89 gpa.
During my MS, I worked as a Teaching assistant for
graduate level analytical chemistry classes. Also, I did an internship at Nathan kline institute as a data analyst from Jan 2012- may 2012. After that I did my summer internship as molecular data profiling intern at Regeneron Pharmaceuticals in Tarrytown, NY.
I started my first Full-time position from August 2012 as a Research associate in a lab at harvard medical school in Boston . I worked on expression profiling and data analysis for brain tumor cells and lymphomas in mice. I worked there from aug 2012-Dec2013.
After that, I have been working at partners healthcare center for personalized medicine in boston as a associate bioinformatician 1 ( got two promotions and now I am bioinformatician 1) . I work on analysis of sequencing data for both clinical patients and research sampls from all across harvard community. I have published 3 peer reviewed papers during my time here in high impact journals . I was also selected to give a lightning talk and present my poster at sanger Institute in cambridge, UK.
I work as a volunteer technology consultant for Escne which is a non profit firm dedicated to help and provide services to other non profits that cannot afford companies like BCG etc.
Extra-Curricular- I played soccer for university for 4 years and won many tournaments.
I wish to target MBA programs in the northeast especially MIT , BU and Tuck. ( maybe Yale)
What would you recommend me to do in order to get into these schools.
Thank you in advance.
Himanshu

Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 13:27
Dear Kate,

I retook GMAT yesterday and got 690 (Q48 V 37). Apart from the 10 point increase :( I have gotten another promotion at work have gotten 7 High impact publications and have joined the development committee at Soccer without Borders and have been part of a startup trying to seek funding in the Bioinformatics space. Which schools do you think I should target with these scores?

Thank you so much,
Himanshu
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 20:47
Hi Himanshu,

Jumping in for Kate who is on maternity leave; congrats on the progress over the past year especially with work and involvement. You are still most likely going to feel more confident at schools with an average GMAT of 670-700 or so. BU (and maybe BC? Babson?) are good options for the Boston area, and you could add a reach like Tuck.... let me know what other schools you are interested in and happy to provide more thoughts, and/or sign up for a free consultation at www.mbamission.com/consult. Wish you the best!

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 09:54
Thanks Jen, Here is the list that I am planning to think over. Will need to trim this down to 5 or 6. It will be really helpful if you have some input in these.
NEU - Safe
Babson - Safe
BC Carroll - Safe
Questrom BU - Target
Tepper - Target
Fuqua - Target
Cornell - Target
Kenan Flagler - Target
Judge - Target
HEC Paris - Target
Tuck - Reach
MIT - Reach
ISB - Target

Thank you,
Himanshu
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 20:04
Hi there,

Lots of great schools to dig in and research and compare! :) Overall you've got a good first list; just keep in mind within your 'target' schools some are tougher than others (i.e. Duke & Cambridge, over HEC & UNC for example). But I think you need to decide what you are most looking for in a school and go from there. Here's a great free guide on selecting your target schools that may help:
https://shop.mbamission.com/products/se ... ba-program

Profile evaluation request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap