GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 09:01
Hello,
Please evaluate my profile.
Indian Male
Age 30
GMAT 710
GPA: 8.9 from NIT
Experience 7years
I have worked for NTPC Ltd for 1.5 years looking after maintenance of power plant equipments.Currently
I am working for Indian Railways as deputy head of a locomotive workshop which owns and maintains 200+ Locomotives of Indian Railways.I look after material and scrap disposal planning, planning and execution of works and outsourcing activities, failure analysis and taking remedial measures related to Locomotives, personnel issues such as training,leave, transfer and penalising in case of misconduct of about 650 employees including 70+ engineers.In my previous position as an in charge I was looking after 250 km of Traction assets alongwith managing 200 employees.I have been involved in restoration of breakdowns of overhead lines affecting train operations.
I don't have any international exposure.
I don't have any serious extra curricular involvement except being involved in several sports activities during college and workplace and participating in a few dramas.I have been arranging industrial training of Engineering students at my workshop having trained more than 200 students in the last two years.I have also been conducting several employee friendly initiatives like organising sports,health camps and other welfare activities.
Target Schools :ISB, Kellogg,MIT Sloan,INSEAD,LBS.
Please provide your valuable feedback.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 21:29
Consider the following points Niks39:
  1. The NIT pedigree sounds good. The GMAT is a bit out of line with that - think of a retake if you can bump it up by say 20 or more points.
  2. The work experience looks good and the scale of work is nice. You'd have to think about what after MBA clearly though. A related story of Indian Railways you may find good to read here.
  3. Why do you say sports is not good ECs? They are as good as any provided you can showcase good impact/continuity. The other activities should help too.
  4. For reasons mentioned here, we don't speculate on school selection. That being said, in India, apart from ISB, it would be prudent to also look at the 3 IIMs.

Hope this helps some.

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Director
Director
P
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 07:56
Hello Niks39

With your GMAT, academic and professional background, ISB seems pretty realistic (As long as your written application does a good job of highlighting all the factors mentioned here)
That said, the biggest piece of your profile is missing- the motivation to pursue an MBA. All good B Schools will expect you to mention clear, specific and realistic career options that you are targeting post MBA. See if reading here helps.
Coming to the list of other schools, this GMAT makes things tricky for sure. Your GMAT is much lower than the average of these B schools and considering your Indian background the competition you face is going to be higher. Plus schools such as INSEAD, LBS also want to see your international motivation (not necessarily international exposure) so do focus on that in your essays.
I would recommend a retake with a target of 730+ to make your profile more competitive. Still you will need to focus on achievements, career progress, business impact and contribution of your work, career goals and international motivation.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Niks39 wrote:
Hello,
Indian Male
Age 30
GMAT 710
Experience 7years
I have worked for NTPC Ltd for 1.5 years looking after maintenance of power plant equipments.Currently
I am working for Indian Railways as deputy head of a locomotive workshop which owns and maintains 200+ Locomotives of Indian Railways.I look after material and scrap disposal planning, planning and execution of works and outsourcing activities, failure analysis and taking remedial measures related to Locomotives, personnel issues such as training,leave, transfer and penalising in case of misconduct of about 650 employees including 70+ engineers.In my previous position as an in charge I was looking after 250 km of Traction assets alongwith managing 200 employees.I have been involved in restoration of breakdowns of overhead lines affecting train operations.
I don't have any serious extra curricular involvement except being involved in several sports activities during college and workplace and participating in a few dramas.I have been arranging industrial training of Engineering students at my workshop having trained more than 200 students in the last two years.I have also been conducting several employee friendly initiatives like organising sports,health camps and other welfare activities.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE: General Management (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 09:46
Thanks for the responses.I would like to clarify a few points here
1) I had to struggle hard to maintain continuity for GMAT considering the nature of my job.It will be challenging to do that again.I would like to avoid reappearing but will do so if necessary. If adding a few achievements like playing a major role in finalizing a large proposal for our workshop extension or successful implementation of Biometric Attendance system on shop floor which was amongst the first few throughout Indian Railways can help me compensate for the score I will happily do so.
2)I forgot to mention my post MBA goals.I have been managing sufficient manpower alongwith planning for achieving daily target of Locomotives required for train operations.An MBA will help me add to my existing experiences and will help me in achieving better management capability.Also I would like to continue in the field of operations post MBA.This may look somewhat vague but with a bit of reorganization I think it may sound more consistent.
3) I can showcase continuity on the sports part,if it can help my application.
4) The international motivation part is somewhat tricky.Without actually having that experience it is tough to elaborate upon in the essay.

MBA Admissions Consultant
B
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 01:10
Hi NIks,

You have strengths and weaknesses to your profile. The NIT degree would be a strength. The GMAT is above average - but not a strength, especially given that you belong to a competitive demographic. Your work experience for a public sector unit is interesting, but perhaps par for the course. Neither a huge advantage nor a huge disadvantage.

Having said that I can see ISB might be a good application. The other schools on your list will be difficult. (especially given that you don't have international experience - INSEAD will not be a strong application).

Feel free to get in touch using the link below if you have further questions, and I'm happy to set up a time to discuss further.

Regards,
Karthik

Niks39 wrote:
Hello,
Indian Male
Age 30
GMAT 710
Experience 7years

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 01:18
Niks39 wrote:
Hello,
Indian Male
Age 30
GMAT 710
Experience 7years

Hello Niks39,

Thanks for writing in.

Your strong academic pedigree, fine GPA, and extensive professional experience in leadership roles add much value to your profile. All of these, with your goals in the Operations sector, if well articulated, will make for a fine story. The extra-curricular-activities, though not stellar, do not appear weak either :-)

Having said the above, considering the league of schools you are targetting, you will need to re-take the GMAT and look at a 30 point jump, at least. Again, while ISB is achievable with your current score, a school such as INSEAD deeply values international and entrepreneurial experiences and in the absence of the same, INSEAD becomes a bit of a Stretch.

Hope this helps!

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 02:24
Niks39 wrote:
Thanks for the responses.I would like to clarify a few points here
1) I had to struggle hard to maintain continuity for GMAT considering the nature of my job.It will be challenging to do that again.I would like to avoid reappearing but will do so if necessary. If adding a few achievements like playing a major role in finalizing a large proposal for our workshop extension or successful

<<snip>>

4) The international motivation part is somewhat tricky.Without actually having that experience it is tough to elaborate upon in the essay.

While I understand your concerns with GMAT retake and I know how tough it might be, but unfortunately, given the competition, I'd recommend you go for it. Of course, only if you have reasonable confidence of boosting the score. Otherwise the time would be better spent in other aspects of the applications.

Yes, the broad goal sounds ok. But you'd have to articulate it a lot more clearly, not just reorganize as you've mentioned.

Continuity on ECs front is always very very useful.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT Club Bot
Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2018, 02:24

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap