GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 00:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Prepare a Concrete Application Plan!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

30-minutes personal consultation for application planning.
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.

Profile Evaluation : Where should i apply?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation : Where should i apply?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 20:04
Hi,

I needed some feedback on my profile and suggestions on where to apply for B Schools

- Indian Male Marketing Professional

- GMAT - 700 | Q49, V35, IR4, AWA5

- Undergrad:
67%, Bachelor in Business Economics, University of Delhi

- Work Experience: 3 years
1. Worked as a freelance marketing consultant with various start ups (8 months)
2. Associate Analyst at Nielsen: Worked i in quantative research for clients such as SC Johnson, Pepsi. (14 months)
3. Founder, The Sous Chef : Started a marketing agency for local restaurants and hospitality business. Didn’t work due to financials. Closed in 4 months.
3. Brand Manager, Vantage Point Company (Start up marketing agency): Lead a team of account managers, content writers and designers, delivering marketing projects to key clients. (12 months)

Co Curriculars
- VP, Marketing AIESEC in Delhi University:
Lead my marketing department for the organisation for a year. Spent 2 and a half years in total in the marketing department at AIESEC during undergrad. Took various other roles in organising committees for events and conferences, including one Organising Committee President role.
- International Internship - Went to Warsaw in Poland to teach English in local schools (6 weeks)

I was looking at some schools in Europe, USA and Canada which have less than 2 year programs. My goal is to intially start working with big brands in their marketing management teams and hopefully have my own venture in the future.

Please let me know where all i can apply, and if you all need any more information about my profile.

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Anderson '21
Re: Profile Evaluation : Where should i apply?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 00:27
Hi, I just wanted to ask you in very breif, if you could, your GMAT study plan, time and material you used. Thanks.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 00:35
Kanakshukrey wrote:
Hi, I just wanted to ask you in very breif, if you could, your GMAT study plan, time and material you used. Thanks.

Hey, you can read my debrief here

https://gmatclub.com/forum/even-a-below ... l#p2162816
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 08:20
Consider the following points aparvez85:
  1. The career arc looks interesting though the short-lived assignments will have to be put into perspective. In that regard, if you've not had much career progression so far, it might also be worth evaluating waiting another year to bring more stability and credibility to the overall profile.
  2. The AIESEC association will be useful. However, it is a lot more important to have something after undergrad too - anything there on the ECs front?
  3. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. That being said, not sure if you've done your research well? Marketing management roles are very tough to break into for international candidates. So make sure you plan accordingly and do a lot of homework.
  4. For best MBA programs around marketing, read here.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 02:43
Hello aparvez85

Broadly speaking the GMAT score, though good, is not stellar enough to help you stand out at most top US/Europe B Schools, considering your Indian background. Some Canadian schools may be reachable with this.
However, success will also depend on the quality of your work ex, diversity that you bring to the class and fitment of career goals.
Starting with quality of work ex- you may have to show conscious decisions behind each career move considering the choppy career journey (on paper at least) and how does an MBA fit in at this stage. Also, you should be focusing on achievements and career progress to showcase the impact of your work/
Similarly to highlight diversity, your extracurricular activities might be useful. But more than a laundry list, what helps is your contribution and impact here. A good extracurricular is where you have had a long term/serious relationship with the activity and a positive impact on your life or the life of others. As a thumb rule school/college activities do not play much weight unless you have achieved something spectacular.
Coming to career goals- taking up locally based marketing roles in Europe/Canada could become tough (language, culture- several issues). Depends on what roles and companies you end up targeting and how you tie your past experience and transferable skills with your future plans.
Shortlisting schools happens based on your relative strengths (compared to other applicants) on all of the above factors. You do not want to end up aiming schools that do not match your credentials (too high/low or irrelevant)

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

aparvez85 wrote:
Hi,

I needed some feedback on my profile and suggestions on where to apply for B Schools

- Indian Male Marketing Professional

- GMAT - 700 | Q49, V35, IR4, AWA5

- Undergrad:
67%, Bachelor in Business Economics, University of Delhi

- Work Experience: 3 years
1. Worked as a freelance marketing consultant with various start ups (8 months)
2. Associate Analyst at Nielsen: Worked i in quantative research for clients such as SC Johnson, Pepsi. (14 months)
3. Founder, The Sous Chef : Started a marketing agency for local restaurants and hospitality business. Didn’t work due to financials. Closed in 4 months.
3. Brand Manager, Vantage Point Company (Start up marketing agency): Lead a team of account managers, content writers and designers, delivering marketing projects to key clients. (12 months)

Co Curriculars
- VP, Marketing AIESEC in Delhi University:
Lead my marketing department for the organisation for a year. Spent 2 and a half years in total in the marketing department at AIESEC during undergrad. Took various other roles in organising committees for events and conferences, including one Organising Committee President role.
- International Internship - Went to Warsaw in Poland to teach English in local schools (6 weeks)

I was looking at some schools in Europe, USA and Canada which have less than 2 year programs. My goal is to intially start working with big brands in their marketing management teams and hopefully have my own venture in the future.

Please let me know where all i can apply, and if you all need any more information about my profile.

Thank you!

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 02:57
If you are looking for shorter programs (1 or 1.5 years) you will find the current ranking for the best out of them here: https://aringo.com/mba-1y-one-year-programs/

You have a lot of good things in your profile so with the right essays and recommendations you should be an attractive candidate for most of these programs.

Hope that helps!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 03:41
As you are aspiring for Marketing roles post MBA, let me tell you that Fortune 500 companies hire Indian applicants "generally" in the B2B job roles and not in B2C positions. From your profile, I feel that you are passionate for marketing. Certainly, post MBA, you can get into Marketing positions. It depends on your dedication to make the most out of your MBA studies, in terms of internship, networking with relevant companies, and knowledge of marketing subjects.

Your various experiences (freelance marketing consultant, Analyst at Nielsen, Founder, The Sous Chef & VP, Marketing AIESEC) will undoubtedly help you to project your hands-on experience on marketing during job placements.

Having said that, there are some weaknesses in the profile. The GMAT 700 is good but not great for an Indian applicants as other candidates are retaking GMAT repeatedly to achieve a score of 740~750. The undergrad score 67% is also not very great. So your applications essays, resume and reco need to be top notch in order to put you back in the game.

Keeping in mind of all aspects of you profile - GMAT, GPA, Professional career, & extracurricular activities, I would recommend the following schools:

1. Western University: Ivey , Canada
2. HEC Paris
3. McGill University: Desautels
4. Cass City
5. Imperial College London
6. Edhec Business School
7. Erasmus Rotterdam
8. Esade Spain

I have not recommended any US programs as you are looking for MBA programs that are less than 2 years in duration. I have also not recommended schools that I believe you don't have a fair chance of admission with your current profile.

Please let me know in case you need any additional information.

P.S. - Kindly give a kudos if you like the answer!!!!!

Regards,
Sandip Bhattacharya
Founder, MBAEssayConsultant

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation : Where should i apply? &nbs [#permalink] 23 Nov 2018, 03:41

Profile Evaluation : Where should i apply?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap