Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 3: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1920 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Re: Q49 with 3 Wrong and V44 with 2 Wrong [#permalink]
jphogan94 - In short, you need to learn how the GMAT scoring algorithm works. It is not about efficiency or accuracy but about ability, and GMAT measures your ability based on an undisclosed algorithm. Therefore, you may very well get several questions incorrect in a specific test yet manage to get a higher raw score than in another test with fewer incorrect questions. I advise you to carefully read the topic available in the below link.

How Does the GMAT Algorithm Work?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jphgan94,

First off, 750 is a great score, so nice work!! Regarding your question, remember, your GMAT score is based on not only the number of questions you answer correct/incorrect, but also the difficulty of those questions, among other things. So, it’s possible that of the questions you got wrong, one or two were of “lower level” and thus your score was a little lower than what you would have expected. In any case, do you plan to take any more practice exams?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MentorTutoring wrote:
Hello, jphogan94. That does seem a little harsh for Verbal, perhaps for Quant as well. What question types were the ones you missed in Verbal? SC? CR? RC? As for Quant, I know that I have seen people miss as many as eight questions and still earn a 50, but it has also been the case that their errors occurred in the middle and later portions of the test. Moreover, I have read in more than one debrief that Practice Test 6 tends to run easier than others on the whole. Still another person posted recently about the official practice tests, speculating on whether the upper limit of the scaled scores was set at 49, since he had missed a single question in Quant (I believe) as part of a simulation and generated such a score. Maybe, all things considered, the score you earned makes a little more sense.

I would be pleased if I were you that I had gone through a gauntlet of 58 questions and missed only 5. That is a handful of questions away from perfection! I often tell my high-shooting students who are earning really competitive scores in practice that the numbers attached to the performance mean a lot less at that level than the actual number of questions answered incorrectly. Sure, if you could choose where in the test to miss questions, you would do so later, but pull back those two or three questions per section, and the pendulum could swing the other way entirely, and that sort of volatility provides an element of excitement.

My best advice? Study those questions you missed inside and out. Go over, too, any you felt less than certain of—i.e. look them up and pore over the dialogue on them in the forum—so that you can set yourself up for success in the next run.

Good luck with your studies. (Focus on clawing back those few questions. No one disputes that getting all the questions correct leads to a perfect score.)

- Andrew

Andrew,

Thank you for this very useful insight and the kind words of encouragement! It is good to hear that others have said Practice Test 6 seems to run a bit easier. I did realize that this practice exam rarely provided me the harder level of questions (according to GMAT Club, only 5 of the questions were of the "Hard" difficulty level), so that could explain why my result was Q49 with only 3 wrong. As for verbal, I missed 1 SC question (Question #24 rated "Hard" on GMAT Club) and 1 RC question (Question #32 rated "Medium" on GMAT Club). I found the verbal score to be a bit more concerning since 2 wrong spaced out as far apart as they were in this practice exam typically resulted in V46-47 in the past for me.
Current Student
Send PM
In short, you need to learn how the GMAT scoring algorithm works. It is not about efficiency or accuracy but about ability, and GMAT measures your ability based on an undisclosed algorithm. Therefore, you may very well get several questions incorrect in a specific test yet manage to get a higher raw score than in another test with fewer incorrect questions. I advise you to carefully read the topic available in the below link.

Thank you for the reply--I have done a good amount of reading on the GMAT algorithm, and I do understand that raw % of correct does not translate to a high score. However, what I found in my practice exam was that I got a high % correct and those that I did get wrong were of a higher level of difficulty.

I reached out to the GMAT Club community to hear insights on how 3 and 2 incorrect on each section could result in Q49 and V44 respectively since all of the incorrect questions were of a higher level of difficulty. I do understand that missing a couple in the first 10 questions is not ideal, but since the two that were missed in the first ten were considered "hard" I would have assumed the test would've given me the opportunity to work my way back to a Q50-Q51.

Maybe the Verbal section is a better example--I got the first 23 questions correct, missed a "Hard" question in question 24, got 25-31 correct, then only missed #32, a "Medium" question" and received a V44.
Current Student
Send PM
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
- In short, you need to learn how the GMAT scoring algorithm works. It is not about efficiency or accuracy but about ability, and GMAT measures your ability based on an undisclosed algorithm. Therefore, you may very well get several questions incorrect in a specific test yet manage to get a higher raw score than in another test with fewer incorrect questions. I advise you to carefully read the topic available in the below link.

Thank you for the reply--I have done a good amount of reading on the GMAT algorithm, and I do understand that raw % of correct does not translate to a high score. However, what I found in my practice exam was that I got a high % correct and those that I did get wrong were of a higher level of difficulty.

I reached out to the GMAT Club community to hear insights on how 3 and 2 incorrect on each section could result in Q49 and V44 respectively since all of the incorrect questions were of a higher level of difficulty. I do understand that missing a couple in the first 10 questions is not ideal, but since the two that were missed in the first ten were considered "hard" I would have assumed the test would've given me the opportunity to work my way back to a Q50-Q51.

Maybe the Verbal section is a better example--I got the first 23 questions correct, missed a "Hard" question in question 24, got 25-31 correct, then only missed #32, a "Medium" question" and received a V44.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi jphgan94,

First off, 750 is a great score, so nice work!! Regarding your question, remember, your GMAT score is based on not only the number of questions you answer correct/incorrect, but also the difficulty of those questions, among other things. So, it’s possible that of the questions you got wrong, one or two were of “lower level” and thus your score was a little lower than what you would have expected. In any case, do you plan to take any more practice exams?

Thank you! I have taken quite a few practice exams, which have mostly been in the range of 760-780 before this exam, so my main concern was that although I had high accuracy and only missed a few "hard" questions in total, I scored below what I had been averaging. I don't mean to complain about a 750, I would be happy with that score, but I am aiming for 760+ on the actual exam.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Same thing happened to me on practice test 6.

Scored 750 Q51 V40
Q51 with 1 incorrect, which is fine.
But V40 with 5 incorrect (usually gave me V42). And the questions weren't easy

I was also scoring 770 on previous exams.

I think that might be something odd (maybe GMAT tagged some questions easy that weren't easy). There is no way IMO that you could score a Q49 with 3 wrong and a V44 with 2 wrong, considering that none of them were easy.

I wouldn't stress about this result
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jphogan94 wrote:
Andrew,

Thank you for this very useful insight and the kind words of encouragement! It is good to hear that others have said Practice Test 6 seems to run a bit easier. I did realize that this practice exam rarely provided me the harder level of questions (according to GMAT Club, only 5 of the questions were of the "Hard" difficulty level), so that could explain why my result was Q49 with only 3 wrong. As for verbal, I missed 1 SC question (Question #24 rated "Hard" on GMAT Club) and 1 RC question (Question #32 rated "Medium" on GMAT Club). I found the verbal score to be a bit more concerning since 2 wrong spaced out as far apart as they were in this practice exam typically resulted in V46-47 in the past for me.

Sure, anyone, in my opinion, who misses just 5 questions can, on a different day, miss no more than 3 (even none). That is good to know about the question types you missed. I suspect that RC carries more weight, based on ESRs I have looked at in the past, but I do not have enough data in hand to make a rigorous examination. I think sweetlyimproved above offers some sound advice not to bother yourself too much with this result. Just learn what you can from the test and see if you can apply that knowledge to the next set of questions. Maybe the same breakdown on a different test would yield a Q50 V47. The only one that matters is the real one anyway.

Best of luck to you.

- Andrew
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
jphogan94 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just took GMAC Practice Exam 6 and scored a Q49 with only 3 incorrect and a V44 with only 2 incorrect for a combined score of 750. I would've expected Q50+ and V46+ with the number of incorrect questions and ideally a 770+. Has anyone had any experiences like this? For reference, I got the 3rd, 9th, and 21st questions wrong on Quant and the 24th and 32nd wrong in Verbal. All of these questions are ranked as medium-high to very-hard difficulty when I searched them on GMAT Club, so this shouldn't be a result of missing easy questions.

I'm a little perplexed and would appreciate any insights that the community can provide. Thanks in advance!

That's a bit harsh .. But you are on your way to score 760 + in the actual exam .. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Send PM
Q49 with 3 Wrong and V44 with 2 Wrong [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jphogan94 wrote:
Hi jphgan94,

Thank you! I have taken quite a few practice exams, which have mostly been in the range of 760-780 before this exam, so my main concern was that although I had high accuracy and only missed a few "hard" questions in total, I scored below what I had been averaging. I don't mean to complain about a 750, I would be happy with that score, but I am aiming for 760+ on the actual exam.

Understood. Let us know how things go with your GMAT.
Current Student
Send PM
jphogan94 wrote:
Hi jphgan94,

I took the actual exam last week and scored 760 (Q49, V45) with AWA 6 and IR 8. My ESR shows that I got 9 wrong on Quant and 3 wrong on Verbal.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jphogan94 wrote:
I took the actual exam last week and scored 760 (Q49, V45) with AWA 6 and IR 8. My ESR shows that I got 9 wrong on Quant and 3 wrong on Verbal.

Congratulations on a fine 99th-percentile score. That is good to know about the conservative nature of the scoring for Practice Test 6. In any case, that Verbal improvement is something you should be proud of. Well done, and good luck to you, whatever the next step may be.

- Andrew
Send PM
Expert Reply
jphogan94 wrote:
jphogan94 wrote:
Hi jphgan94,

Great job!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
jphogan94 wrote:
jphogan94 wrote:
Hi jphgan94,

Beautiful. Congratulations and good luck !
GMAT Club Bot