It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 13:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Despite Japan’s relative isolation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17046 [0], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Despite Japan’s relative isolation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 11:56
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:02) correct 39% (01:32) wrong based on 365 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 71: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Despite Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during the Tokugawa shogunate produced an almost explosive expansion of commerce.

(A) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during the Tokugawa shogunate
(B) the relative isolation of Japan from world trade at the time and the Tokugawa shogunate’s prolonged peace, it
(C) being relatively isolated from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during Japan’s Tokugawa shogunate
(D) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time during the Tokugawa shogunate, prolonged peace
(E) its relative isolation from world trade then, prolonged peace in Japan during the Tokugawa shogunate

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17046 [0], given: 1963

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1601 [0], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
QOTD: Despite Japan’s relative isolation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 11:57
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
(A) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during the Tokugawa shogunate

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at here. I don't see anything fun: no pronouns or parallelism or comparisons or anything like that. I also don't see any problems, and the sentence seems to make sense. I guess we'll keep (A). *shrug*

Quote:
(B) the relative isolation of Japan from world trade at the time and the Tokugawa shogunate’s prolonged peace, it

The parallelism is weird here. Following the "and", we have "...the Tokugawa shogunate’s prolonged peace" and that phrase is structurally parallel to "the relative isolation of Japan from world trade." But that whole mess is preceded by "despite": so we have "despite... the the Tokugawa shogunate’s prolonged peace, it produced an almost explosive expansion of commerce."

That makes no sense. The expansion didn't happen despite the prolonged peace. It happened because of it. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) being relatively isolated from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during Japan’s Tokugawa shogunate

If we look at (C) strictly and literally, it's saying that "the prolonged peace" was relatively isolated from world trade at the time. (C) is out.

Quote:
(D) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time during the Tokugawa shogunate, prolonged peace

There are a few subtle little problems with this one. First, "at the time during" is redundant. I'm not sure that it's automatically wrong, but it's not ideal: "during" or "at the time of" would be fine, but I don't really understand why we would use "at the time during."

More importantly, I think the meaning is distorted here, as the indefatigable daagh pointed out below. The point of the sentence seems to be that the prolonged peace happened during the Tokugawa shogunate -- and the prolonged peace of the shogunate produced an explosion of commerce during that time. I don't think that it's trying to say that the isolation from world trade happened during the shogunate. Plus, the "prolonged peace" isn't connected to the shogunate at all in the second part of the sentence. (A) conveys this meaning much more clearly, so (D) can be eliminated.

Quote:
(E) its relative isolation from world trade then, prolonged peace in Japan during the Tokugawa shogunate

"Its" seems to refer to "prolonged peace" here, and that doesn't make sense. I'm also not thrilled with "then" -- I guess it refers to the shogunate, but it's not super-clear. But that pronoun thing is a definite error. (E) is out, and (A) wins.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1601 [0], given: 400

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Re: QOTD: Despite Japan’s relative isolation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 12:43
Answer -> D

Despite Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during the Tokugawa shogunate produced an almost
explosive expansion of commerce.

A) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during the Tokugawa shogunate -The first part of the sentence is neither complete nor modifying the second part of the sentence; therefore this option isn't making any sense.
B) the relative isolation of japan from world trade at the time and the Tokugawa shogunate’s prolonged peace, it -"it" doesn't have any antecedent
C) being relatively isolated from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during Japan’s Tokugawa shogunate -First part is wrongly modifying the prolonged peace. It should modify Japan
D) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time during the Tokugawa shogunate, prolonged peace -CORRECT
E) its relative isolation from world trade then, prolonged peace in Japan during the Tokugawa shogunate -"its" doesn't have an antecedent

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7917 [2], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 00:18
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Despite Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during the Tokugawa shogunate produced an almost explosive expansion of commerce.

A) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during the Tokugawa shogunate -- the correct choice.

B) the relative isolation of Japan from world trade at the time and the Tokugawa shogunate’s prolonged peace, it - diametrical change of meaning; looks as if the commerce expanded despite shogunate's prolonged peace.

C) being relatively isolated from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during Japan’s Tokugawa shogunate -- modification problem. as if the peace was isolated.

D) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time during the Tokugawa shogunate, prolonged peace ---1. Almost good enough except that 'at that time during the shogunate' is a little murky because of the redundancy of 'at that time during the Tokugawa shogunate -2. the dropping of the definite article before prolonged isn't an issue I suppose. Probably a tad lower than A

E) its relative isolation from world trade then, prolonged peace in Japan during the Tokugawa shogunate-- 'its' modifies prolonged peace in Japan.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 01:56
daagh wrote:

A) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during the Tokugawa shogunate -- the correct choice.

B) the relative isolation of Japan from world trade at the time and the Tokugawa shogunate’s prolonged peace, it - diametrical change of meaning; looks as if the commerce expanded despite shogunate's prolonged peace.

C) being relatively isolated from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during Japan’s Tokugawa shogunate -- modification problem. as if the peace was isolated.

D) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time during the Tokugawa shogunate, prolonged peace ---1. Almost good enough except that 'at that time during the shogunate' is a little murky because of the redundancy of 'at that time during the Tokugawa shogunate -2. the dropping of the definite article before prolonged isn't an issue I suppose. Probably a tad lower than A

E) its relative isolation from world trade then, prolonged peace in Japan during the Tokugawa shogunate-- 'its' modifies prolonged peace in Japan.

Hello daagh,

Please explain how the original sentence is correct?

"Despite Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time" -> This is not making any sense for me. What time are we talking of here? I agree that "D" has redundancy issue but "A" doesn't express the desired meaning.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 7917 [0], given: 364

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 02:33
Top Contributor
gmatexam439

1. But then what's the desired meaning that should have been expressed in A other than that from the text?
Are the text and A are so absurd that we have to change them to more sensible versions?

2. How far is D different from 'A' in meaning?

That would greatly help

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 121

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 03:00
daagh wrote:
gmatexam439

1. But then what's the desired meaning that should have been expressed in A other than that from the text?
Are the text and A are so absurd that we have to change them to more sensible versions?

That would greatly help

Hello sir
Can u pls explain the subtle meaning difference between options A and D.
I felt as if in option A it's not talking about any definite time period while in D it's talking about a definite time period.

I am sure I am missing something but cannot catch it.

Kindly help .
Thanks in advance.
gmatexam439 wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hello daagh,

Please explain how the original sentence is correct?

"Despite Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time" -> This is not making any sense for me. What time are we talking of here? I agree that "D" has redundancy issue but "A" doesn't express the desired meaning.

Regards

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 121

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 06:16
Top Contributor
I rather think there is no difference between both since both talk about the definite era of the Tokugawa shogunate in the 17th through 19th centuries.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 96

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 06:36
The answer must be option A.My take:
Meaning - Though Japan was isolated from world trade, prolonged peace during the period of Tokugawa shogunate produced an explosive expansion of commerce.
Error analysis - SVA, tenses, structure, modifiers , & pronouns are in place.
POE:
Option A - Hold
Option B - Meaning shift and no clear precedent for it. Please note the use of and to join relative isolation and prolonged peace. As per the intended meaning, despite isolation prolonged peace produced expansion of commerce.
Option C - Modifier error. Please note prolonged peace was not isolated
Option D - Meaning shift. Prolonged peace was witnessed during the period of Tokugawa shogunate and not isolation from world trade.
Option E - It refers to prolonged peace. This is wrong.

Hence only option A remains. The answer must be option A.

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 96

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 07:42
Answer: A

B: changes the meaning.
C: complicated sentence.
D: seems close but it changes the meaning all together.
E: its is ambiguous.

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 08:13

Quote:
A) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during the Tokugawa shogunate

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this sentence. KEEP!

Quote:
B) the relative isolation of japan from world trade at the time and the Tokugawa shogunate’s prolonged peace, it

The Subordinate clause 'Despite....peace' is modifying the subject 'it' and 'it' can have multiple referents. So this is OUT.

Quote:
C) being relatively isolated from world trade at the time, the prolonged peace during Japan’s Tokugawa shogunate

The peace was isolated from the rest of the word? OUT.

Quote:
D) Japan’s relative isolation from world trade at the time during the Tokugawa shogunate, prolonged peace

We should either get rid of 'at the time' Or 'during'. Both of these terms are referring to a point in time, and that makes it redundant. OUT!

Quote:
E) its relative isolation from world trade then, prolonged peace in Japan during the Tokugawa shogunate

Same as C. It seems as though prolonged peace was isolated. OUT!

A is the answer for me!

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 99

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 09:46
daagh wrote:
gmatexam439

That would greatly help

Hello daagh,

I am not very clear about the time the first part of the sentence is referring to. "Tokugawa shogunate" is an era, a time period, and not just a specific moment of time.

For example: Despite the medication received at the time, the blood loss due to heavy wounds during the fight made John weak.
If we see this example, fight occurred before the medication.

I am just confused. When we say "at the time", we mean to say A PARTICULAR MOMENT OF TIME. While, if we say "during the time", we mean to specify A TIME PERIOD.

How can we infer in the original question that the "at the time" is "during Tokugawa shogunate".

Since the OA is "A", please correct my understanding. I am just trying to learn the critical nuances of English, so that I can be successful in GMAT.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
In History, 'at that time' can refer to an era, and in this context an era that ran for nearly 300 years. It may be noted that the text talks about a prolonged peace and can it be logically expected that such an extended peace was obtained at a specific point of time?

Since the topic is from GMAT Prep, I hope you are not having any doubts about its veracity. Similarly, how we can take that D is superior when after all, D is also using "at that time", "during the shogunate" and "prolonged peace?

I can see your anxiety when you were confused about an official answer from GMATPrep. Normally people take them in their stride. Wish you good luck.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 10:05
daagh wrote:
In History, 'at that time' can refer to an era, and in this context an era that ran for nearly 300 years. It may be noted that the text talks about a prolonged peace and can it be logically expected that such an extended peace was obtained at a specific point of time?

Since the topic is from GMAT Prep, I hope you are not having any doubts about its veracity. Similarly, how we can take that D is superior when after all, D is also using "at that time", "during the shogunate" and "prolonged peace?

I can see your anxiety when you were confused about an official answer from GMATPrep. Normally people take them in their stride. Wish you good luck.

Thank you for patiently clarifying my doubts.

I was getting confused by the "at the time" phrase. I will learn and move on, since the error in "D" can't be ignored.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

Re: QOTD: Despite Japan’s relative isolation   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2017, 10:05

QOTD: Despite Japan’s relative isolation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap