GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jul 2018, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

QOTD: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 07:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:06) correct 35% (01:15) wrong based on 627 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 223: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
QOTD: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 07:38
Quote:
(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

The pronoun “they” always jumps off the page at me, and in this case, it seems to refer to “refiners”, the most recent plural. That’s fine.

I’m also OK with the comparison: “refiners are paying… more for crude oil than they were [paying] last year.” I don't think that it’s ideal, but it’s definitely not wrong, and the GMAT would argue that the word “paying” is implied after “were.” Again, I’m not crazy about it, but it conveys the meaning clearly enough.

So let’s keep (A), I guess.

Quote:
(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

The phrase “expected to rise higher this year over last” is definitely a mess. You would never say that prices “rise higher.” They either just rise, or they just ARE higher. I’m also not sure why we would use “over last” instead of “than last.”

The placement of “more” is also really confusing. “More” modifies “pay about $5 a barrel”, and there’s no good reason to stick the word “more” so far away from the phrase it logically modifies.

But for whatever it’s worth: “they” still seems to refer perfectly reasonably to “refiners.” And the word “did” replaces the verb “pay” (or “paid”, since “did” is past tense). So those things are OK.

But I don’t think we can get over the silly placement of “more” and the "rise higher" mess at the beginning of the sentence. So (B) is out.

Quote:
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(C) has a couple of problems right in the beginning of the sentence. First of all, I can’t understand why we would say “expectations are for… prices to be higher this year.” That’s a horribly indirect way to say that “prices are expected to be higher.” The prices are the focus of the sentence, and it’s best if the prices are the grammatical subject of the sentence.

The comparison is also pretty goofy. “… heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year’s…” The problem here is the possessive “last year’s.” We could say something like “this year’s prices are higher than last year’s”, or we could say that “prices are higher this year than last year.” But it makes no sense to say that “prices are higher this year than last year’s.”

So (C) is gone.

Quote:
(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were

Like (C), (D) starts with an unnecessarily wordy expression: “it is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year…”. That’s not WRONG, exactly, but it’s definitely a crappier way to say “prices are expected to be higher this year…”

There’s also a problem with the phrase “higher this year over last.” You could say that prices were “higher this year than last”, but I can’t understand why we would use “over” in this context.

We also have an extra word that muddies the end of the underlined portion: “refiners are paying… more for crude oil now than what they were last year.” There’s absolutely no reason to include the word “what” in this sentence: “than they were last year” is enough by itself.

That’s enough to let us cross out (D).

Quote:
(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did

(E) combines a bunch of problems that we saw in the other answer choices. “It is the expected” doesn't make any sense at all, especially when (A) gives us a much nicer option (“prices are expected to be higher…”). Also, there’s no reason to make “last year’s” possessive – see the explanation for (C) for more on this issue.

Finally, it doesn’t make sense to say that “prices will rise higher this year.” You could say that “prices will rise”, or that “prices will be higher”, but it’s redundant (and damned weird) to say “prices will rise higher.”

So (E) is out, and we’re left with (A).

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

General Discussion
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 08:17
(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were - Correct

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - 'higher than' is required.

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - Passive and wordy.

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were - Same as B

(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - Awkward

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 08:41
IMO A

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were -'are paying' ...more... 'than they were'. It is the proper idiom along with the parallel form. hence this is the correct answer.

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did -
expected 'to be' higher not 'rise' higher... It is incorrect.

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - 'to be higher' .. 'are paying' ...are not parallel.

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were - will be higher & are paying not parallel. higher than is the proper idiom, not higher over.

(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - 'the expected' does not modify any noun. 'last year's' what? the sentence is a jumbler.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: QOTD: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 08:54
(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were -hold

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - change in meaning. The prices are going to be more than they were last year, they're not going to increase more than they were last year.

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did-passive construction unnecessary.

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were- too wordy. Horrible. + 'it' in the beginning. Bad.

(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did- same as D.
Hence A

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2018, 03:18
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.

correct
(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did :higher is not followed by than

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did passive ignore

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were: wordy constructions also the higher is not followed by than

(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did :wordy and higher requires than
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 00:33

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - rise and higher are redundant.

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - meaning issue, expectations are higher than last year.

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were - use of it is ambiguous, changes the meaning.

(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did - rise and higher redundant
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2018, 15:43
I think my reasoning for the answers might have been a bit different. Once I saw the options, I immediately noticed redundancy which helped me eliminate the choices faster.

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were- Correct! Parallel and concise

(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did- "rise higher"- if something rises, it should be higher right? hence, rise higher is unnecessary and redundant. Gone!

(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did- This is just awkward because the first part of the sentence is passive and the second part has wrong structure and changes the meaning. If you pay $5 more for something, that means the price has risen. If you pay $5 for something more, it's like you paid for something extra, like an add-on to your original purchase. Out.

(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were- Wrong because of wrong idiom "higher over" and the entire sentence is awkward.

(E) It is the expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did- redundancy again with rise higher, thus eliminated.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 12:45
shouldn't "last year's" in option C indicates last year oil prices...??
how can the oil prices of this year be compared with only last year???
I am a little bit confused... please explain
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 13:28
sajon wrote:
shouldn't "last year's" in option C indicates last year oil prices...??
how can the oil prices of this year be compared with only last year???
I am a little bit confused... please explain

Hello sajon,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

From the context of the sentence, Choice C does suggest that the comparison is between the this year's price and last year's price.

But the grammar used to present this intended comparison is not correct. We can express the comparison in either way as follows:

oil prices will be higher this year than last year.

this year's oil price will be higher than last year's.

But Choice C uses a kind of mix of these two expressions. Usage of last year's is incorrect because the sentence does NOT use the expression this year's price.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 17:22
(B) and (E) are out immediately because of redundancy.
Rise higher is unnecessary. Either use will be higher or will rise
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 06:40
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 223: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

GMATNinja yay! :)

why option A omitted word "year" :? i would add word "year" in option A, that way it looks more complete ? :)

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

thank you and have an awesome weekend :)
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 11:06
dave13 wrote:
\
why option A omitted word "year" :? i would add word "year" in option A, that way it looks more complete ? :)

(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last year because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

thank you and have an awesome weekend :)

Hello dave13,

Well, this omission is called ellipses, a concept that is used quite often in sentences testing comparison. Words already used in a sentence is kept understood in the second part of comparison to maintain conciseness and avoid repetition.

The word year is omitted because this omission does not lead to any ambiguity in comparison. The sentence still clearly conveys that the intended comparison is between the heating oil prices this year and heating-oil prices last year.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Re: QOTD: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last   [#permalink] 25 May 2018, 11:06

QOTD: Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap