It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 17:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

READING COMPREHENSION - Need help on HISTORY/HUMANITARIAN passages.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

READING COMPREHENSION - Need help on HISTORY/HUMANITARIAN passages. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 08:47
I need help/strategies tackling these types of passages. I noticed they also ask a lot of inferences.

I just can't seem to understand. Maybe because they're so boring.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 310

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: READING COMPREHENSION - Need help on HISTORY/HUMANITARIAN passages. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
tonyjyoo wrote:
I need help/strategies tackling these types of passages. I noticed they also ask a lot of inferences.

There are no differences between Science,Humanities, Business, Science or any kind of passages. The strategy required is same for all. Its only your preconceived notion that "I am bad at XXX passages", a reason why you may be doing bad in these specific type of passages. I believe that the major source of difficulty in RC is more in the answer choices than in the content in the passage.

Please take my suggestion with a pinch of salt or a bucket of salt - because my RC percentile was around 82 percentile. ( My SC and CR is relatively far better)

Cheers !!

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Kudos [?]: 38 [1], given: 310

Intern
Intern
B

Re: READING COMPREHENSION - Need help on HISTORY/HUMANITARIAN passages. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 11:27
godot53 wrote:
tonyjyoo wrote:

There are no differences between Science,Humanities, Business, Science or any kind of passages. The strategy required is same for all. Its only your preconceived notion that "I am bad at XXX passages", a reason why you may be doing bad in these specific type of passages. I believe that the major source of difficulty in RC is more in the answer choices than in the content in the passage.

Please take my suggestion with a pinch of salt or a bucket of salt - because my RC percentile was around 82 percentile. ( My SC and CR is relatively far better)

Cheers !!

What are your tips/strategies on RC?

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 310

READING COMPREHENSION - Need help on HISTORY/HUMANITARIAN passages. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 02:30
tonyjyoo wrote:
What are your tips/strategies on RC?

First, keep things simple. Much have been written on how to analyze RC and so on - but, keep things straight and simple. Take the Kaplan GMAT Premiere and read the Kaplan strategies - I am a huge fan of kaplan, specially their CR and RC. The only problem with kaplan strategies is to note the "topic..scope.." and so on. While I understand its immensely helpful to get the topic and scope, and make a proper distinction between purpose and main point - to note so many things after the passage is very time consuming. So, get their strategies on how to read and keywords and all, but refrain from the later part. Better, if you can get a sense of topic/scope as you practice.

While doing questions, there are two basic principle:
1. for inference and detail questions, never ever select an answer choice without referring back to passages. Never ever.
I will reiterate what I have written above - the source of difficulty is not with the content but with the answer choices. For instance, refer the last passage of OG verbal Review 2016 ( micro-wear pattern). Simple passage... Right. Then move on #99 and #103.. its impossible to solve without going back to the passage. And the fact that these both are difficult problems is not because of the content of the passage, but how close the answer choice is. Its also important to note the placement of answer choices - In #99, the correct one is placed at E, while two other trap answer choices are placed above it. This same kind of reasoning is also applicable in CR - Its always the answer choices, and its very placement, that make a CR question difficult, not the stimulus itself.
2. For global questions, never ever select an answer choice referring back to passages.

If you can control you temptation and stick to these two, you are all set. Cheers !!

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 10:14
Can u please elaborate more on the placement of the answer choices

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 33

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 21:46
vishwajeet2015 wrote:
The GMAT item writers make an effort to identify the types of errors test takers are likely to make, and then they build options around those errors. Sometimes these options are placed near the correct option. I don't know if that's on purpose or if it just turns out that way with some questions (random ordering of options?), but it could be enough to "distract" a test taker.

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 04:27
AjiteshArun wrote:
vishwajeet2015 wrote:
The GMAT item writers make an effort to identify the types of errors test takers are likely to make, and then they build options around those errors. Sometimes these options are placed near the correct option. I don't know if that's on purpose or if it just turns out that way with some questions (random ordering of options?), but it could be enough to "distract" a test taker.

Hello good day sir,
In beatthegmat official gmat forum, once it was asked why the answer choices in problem solving is not arranged always in increasing order - or any consistent way. The reply from official gmat - the form and placement of answer choice is a key factor considered while creating a question.

So, it can be inferred that its "one" of the consideration. I am right now searching the post, will post it once I get it.

[ reserved for the beatthegmat link]

Thank you :-)

Re: READING COMPREHENSION - Need help on HISTORY/HUMANITARIAN passages.   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2017, 04:27

READING COMPREHENSION - Need help on HISTORY/HUMANITARIAN passages.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap