GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2018, 02:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reapplying to HBS

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Reapplying to HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 14:12
So i got into booth, Sloan and Kellogg, but got rejected from HBS post interview. Is it worthwhile pursuing hbs again (reapplying)? Is the difference between hbs and booth/sloan/kellogg marginal or significant?

Which of the three would stack up best to hbs in terms of prestige?

Posted from my mobile device
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Senior RC Moderator
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Reapplying to HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 14:18
Top Contributor
Xyz123t wrote:
So i got into booth, Sloan and Kellogg, but got rejected from HBS post interview. Is it worthwhile pursuing hbs again (reapplying)? Is the difference between hbs and booth/sloan/kellogg marginal or significant?

Oh Man!!

All the programs you got into are really good. And have a huge alumni network. So it actually depends on you. Do you really want to wait for one more year?

And of course, Havard is the big name. But others are big one too. It all comes to you if you are going after the ranking.

All would stack up equally in terms of prestige among themselves. Look at the program size too. It is better being a stand out among 400 people than no one among 900+ students.

There are many folks who rejected Havard for the schools you got in. You can search their post and reasoning on the forum.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 14:32
Why are you applying to elite business schools with the sole purpose of getting into elite business schools?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 14:39
Congratulations! There are a few perspective perhaps instead of evaluating brand vs brand, you can look at options.

Waiting another year vs. building up your profile and can you build up your profile.
Clearly you were strong enough to get an interview but either the interview or the overall evaluation did not match the min threshold. Some categories and groups have a very hard time getting in (Asian applicants)... not that anyone has an easy time getting into HBS but still you probably get the point. If you have also applied to Stanford and Wharton and did not get admits, that kind of gives you feedback and idea where your profile fits on the totem pole and what it takes to break through to the top 3 schools.

I would look at your overall profile and see if you can up the game and if that effort is worth it. I can see how one's personality may have a hard time letting go of the #1 spot and knowing you achieved that and once you start cutting corners, there is no end in sight. At the same time, sometimes you fall on the sword as you chase your dream - Captain Ahab's story. Sometimes we are so focused on the distant goal that we don't see what we have in front on of us.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 16:57
Xyz123t wrote:

Congrats for great schools :-)

It is clearly that you have a stellar profile to be accepted in those schools. While some people could move on and accept one of the offers, others are addicted to HBS. it is up to the character. I would move on and accept one of the offers, especially if you have considerable scholarship. If you choose to reapply next year to HBS, then you want to know you might not get into HBS. Also there is another scenario which you need to consider but I personally do not know about it. I assume you will apply next year to other schools in addition to HBS . How will the schools of previous year react, when they see you reapply, despite your acceptance and then declining their offers. It would be awkward that they may ask for clarification or reject you. You may find yourself forced to start applying to other schools.

You need to study the situation carefully.

Good luck
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 18:34
what are your post MBA goals and did you receive scholarships from any of booth/kellogg/sloan?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 21:27
jessepinkman wrote:
what are your post MBA goals and did you receive scholarships from any of booth/kellogg/sloan?

Hi, I want to pursue entrepreneurship (i.e) in the next 5 years I want to run my own show. And yes I got 30K from MIT Sloan

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 2.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 14:21
I would strongly recommend that you do not reapply.

There is no guarantee that HBS will interview you again, which would be a waste of a year of your life. There will also be a question mark against your applications at the other schools (if you reapply to those again next year too). I imagine they'd be much more cautious admitting someone who recently rejected them. I am just one data point: but I also received some M7 acceptances, but was dinged straight off the bat at HBS. I'm sure there are people who have got in everywhere they applied but weren't interviewed at HBS. It's sometimes that much of a crapshoot, it seems.

There have also been observations that HBS are increasingly NOT re-interviewing people that reapply. See below:

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 15:54
Xyz123t wrote:
jessepinkman wrote:

Hi, I want to pursue entrepreneurship (i.e) in the next 5 years I want to run my own show. And yes I got 30K from MIT Sloan

If you're thinking entrepreneurship, I'm not sure what HBS can do for you that Sloan can't - or even Booth or Kellogg for that matter.

Getting funded isn't an issue even at a school outside of the top 10 as long as you're doing things right. Professors and alumni from all business schools invest in good business ideas and capable people, they're brand & ranking agnostic in general as long as you're from a top institution. I've known Yale SOM folks getting investments from Stanford & HBS alumni and HBS students getting funded by Yale SOM professors.

If you're thinking about acquiring the know-how or even finding a co-founder, MIT is littered with people with great technical abilities.

While 30K isn't exactly a big deal, you still want to minimize your debt down the road if you're starting a business. Lower debt alleviates your financial stress & can perhaps allow you to put more money in for more equity or enter a shareholding structure more favorable to you.
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: ALTA.MBA
Reapplying to HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 19:22
I will go out on a limb and say that you may be someone that has to go to HBS or perhaps nowhere? It really depends on your future aspirations and what you consider success.

Working often with candidates that only apply to one, two, or three schools (as well as candidates that are applying to HBS for a second or third time) - as with business and life, sometimes you have to take some risk and go with your gut!

Paul at ALTA.MBA

Reapplying to HBS   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2018, 19:22

Reapplying to HBS

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, jessepinkman, teleste

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap