GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 19:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.85
WE: Engineering (Retail)
Re: Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 03:36
B looks better option than C. Please anyone explain how can C be the answer. B suffices all things.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 04:33
mikemcgarry

Hope you're doing fantastic!

Request your assistance on Q36 or the second question in series.
As all the option choices are very close to one another, I could not find a way to be sure of picking C. Any advice on dealing with such closely couched options?

Thank you & Regards.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 13:29
TaN1213 wrote:
mikemcgarry

Hope you're doing fantastic!

Request your assistance on Q36 or the second question in series.
As all the option choices are very close to one another, I could not find a way to be sure of picking C. Any advice on dealing with such closely couched options?

Thank you & Regards.

Dear TaN1213,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, before I give you an analysis, I will ask you to explain in detail your reasoning on each option. In your view, what makes the options close, and what makes the incorrect answers tempting as possible answers? You see, this is a hard question, and there's no general one-size-fits-all rule about how to do tricky GMAT RC questions, but the more I understand you particular take, the more I will be able to give you advice that will help you. The only general advice I can give is that the more you push yourself on your own to read hard, challenging material about unfamiliar topics, the easier GMAT RC will seem.

In the vein of asking more thorough questions, I also will suggest this blog article:
Asking Excellent Questions

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 21:09
Hi Mike,

Could you please explain why option E is the wrong choice for question 2?

Regards,
Suyash
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Date: 06-13-2017
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 09:52
Ashy Boy wrote:
What exactly should be the level of this passage? Could someone pls elaborate on that? I found it to be a little difficult, the answer choices were confusing as well for a few questions. Also why not option B for the 3rd question. Why option D? I somehow agree that D is correct, but why is option B wrong?
mikemcgarry chetan2u GMATNinjaTwo

In 99.9% of the main point or primary purpose questions, answer choice with "contrast" word is wrong. This will help you a lot in saving time and improving accuracy. :thumbup:

Hope it's clear.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 21:56
workout GMATNinja broall

please edit the passage format. Q3 is really confusing. it says lines 23-31. the last line is 25. I got confused and marked the function of last couple of lines. the passage is so awkwardly presented that there seems to be only 2 paragraphs. please change the format
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 23:45
mikemcgarry anairamitch1804 GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo chetan2u

I took more than a minute on this question largely due to the confusion between choice C and D
I chose C over D. I will present my analysis and later present my doubt . Please respond

Q36: It can be inferred that the author of the passage disagrees with the "new scholarship"
mentioned in lines 6-7 regarding the
relevant part- In some ways, however, these scholars still present the 1920’s as a period of decline. After suffrage, they argue, the feminist movement lost its cohesiveness, and gender consciousness waned. After the mid-1920’s, few successes could be claimed by feminist reformers: little could be seen in the way of legislative victories.
During this decade, however, there was intense activism aimed at achieving increased autonomy for women, broadening the spheres within which they lived their daily lives. Women’s organizations worked to establish opportunities for women: they strove to secure for women the full entitlements of citizenship, including the right to hold office and the right to serve on juries.

A. degree to which the "promises" of the suffrage movement remained unkept - out of context
B. degree to which suffrage for women improved the morality of governance - morality- out of scope
C. degree to which the 1920's represented a period of decline for the feminist movement - now the author says that the scholarship think of 1920s as a period of decline . later in the last para (1st line) he presents the scope of the decline/severity of decline and gives an alternative view on the movement.- s- Correct.
D. degree of legislative success achieved by feminist reformers during the 1920's - the scholarship also states its take on the legislative success"After the mid-1920’s, few successes could be claimed by feminist reformers: little could be seen in the way of legislative victories." ..while author points out that this isnt entirely true with statements - "Women’s organizations worked to establish opportunities for women: they strove to secure for women the full entitlements of citizenship, including the right to hold office and the right to serve on juries."
E. accuracy of the view that a women's voting bloc did not materialize once suffrage was achieved

C vs D.
My take : the author states that the new scholarship exaggerated the extent of the decline and hence isnt entirely true. The next part is it's subpart ,the legislative bla bla bla, which acts as an illustration of the point made by the scholarship.

so the main point the author disagrees is the extent of the decline.

doubts-
1. is my reasoning right?
2. for questions like this when there is ample support to more than one choice , should we choose the choice which talks about the bigger picture? i'm asking this question because in certain passages the author disagrees not with the main point made by someone else but with the data presented by the scholar.
3. Am i right to conclude the later part "legislative bla bla" as a part of the broader assertion made by the scholars?
4. whar makes the answer choices C and D so confusing?

thankyou
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 23:43
Ashy Boy wrote:
What exactly should be the level of this passage? Could someone pls elaborate on that? I found it to be a little difficult, the answer choices were confusing as well for a few questions. Also why not option B for the 3rd question. Why option D? I somehow agree that D is correct, but why is option B wrong?
mikemcgarry chetan2u GMATNinjaTwo

Q37: The purpose of the second paragraph (lines 23-31) of the passage is to

A. suggest a reason why suffragist "promises" were not kept
B. contrast suffragist "promises" with the reality of the 1920's
C. deplore the lack of successful feminist reform in 1920's
D. explain a view held by feminist scholars
E. answer the question asked by Jane Addams

reading the last para we can notice that the author talks about this decade works by feminists.
none of the above options except d seems relevant..
as for b there is no mention of the reality of the 1920s
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s &nbs [#permalink] 16 Oct 2018, 23:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap