GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Dec 2017, 22:33
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

54% (02:00) correct 46% (02:17) wrong based on 539

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

39% (00:41) correct 61% (00:55) wrong based on 503

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

42% (00:54) correct 58% (01:07) wrong based on 484

Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s challenges earlier interpretations that assessed the twenties in terms of the unkept “promises” of the women’s suffrage movement. This new scholarship disputes the long-held view that because a women’s voting bloc did not materialize after women gained the right to vote in 1920, suffrage failed to produce long-term political gains for women. These feminist scholars also challenge the old view that pronounced suffrage a failure for not delivering on the promise that the women’s vote would bring about moral, corruption-free governance. Asked whether women’s suffrage was a failure, these scholars cite the words of turn-of-the-century social reformer Jane Addams, “Why don’t you ask if suffrage in general is failing?”
In some ways, however, these scholars still present the 1920’s as a period of decline. After suffrage, they argue, the feminist movement lost its cohesiveness, and gender consciousness waned. After the mid-1920’s, few successes could be claimed by feminist reformers: little could be seen in the way of legislative victories.
During this decade, however, there was intense activism aimed at achieving increased autonomy for women, broadening the spheres within which they lived their daily lives. Women’s organizations worked to establish opportunities for women: they strove to secure for women the full entitlements of citizenship, including the right to hold office and the right to serve on juries.
Q35: The passage is primarily concerned with

A. providing evidence indicating that feminist reformers of the 1920's failed to reach some of their goals
B. presenting scholarship that contrasts suffragist "promises" with the historical realities of the 1920's
C. discussing recent scholarship concerning the achievements of women's suffrage during the 1920's
and presenting an alternative view of those achievements
D. outlining recent findings concerning events leading to suffrage for women in the 1920's and
presenting a challenge to those findings
E. providing support for a traditional view of the success of feminist attempts to increase gender
consciousness among women during the 1920's

C
can someone explain why? why not b
does the author have an opinion nor does he suggests something
i feel the author does not have an opinion and the tone of the passage is completely neutral .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q36: It can be inferred that the author of the passage disagrees with the "new scholarship"
mentioned in lines 6-7 regarding the

A. degree to which the "promises" of the suffrage movement remained unkept
B. degree to which suffrage for women improved the morality of governance
C. degree to which the 1920's represented a period of decline for the feminist movement
D. degree of legislative success achieved by feminist reformers during the 1920's
E. accuracy of the view that a women's voting bloc did not materialize once suffrage was achieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q37: The purpose of the second paragraph (lines 23-31) of the passage is to

A. suggest a reason why suffragist "promises" were not kept
B. contrast suffragist "promises" with the reality of the 1920's
C. deplore the lack of successful feminist reform in 1920's
D. explain a view held by feminist scholars
E. answer the question asked by Jane Addams

Originally posted by viper1991 on 19 Dec 2014, 12:01.
Last edited by Skywalker18 on 06 Dec 2017, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
formatted
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 03:52
Small but freakingly deadly ...
Got all the answers correct though.
Had to consult dictionary for one word .. :)

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Manager
Manager
B
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 04:18
chetan2u can you please share more on the Question No. 3 & option choice C.
Top Contributor
Director
Director
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 05:47
Top Contributor
9 mins. All correct.

P1: RF scholarship challenge earlier interpretations. (but no where in the passage they compared the differences. They just challenged the views.)
P2: Though RF scholars disagree with assessment of earlier scholars, they agree that 20's was a period of decline for feminist movement. [view held by RFS]
P3: Author mentions that things were not that bad and that there was intense activism during the period.

Q1:
B. presenting scholarship that contrasts suffragist "promises" with the historical realities of the 1920's
C. discussing recent scholarship concerning the achievements of women's suffrage during the 1920's and presenting an alternative view of those achievements.
Why C over B:
contrasts suffragist "promises" with the historical realities of the 1920's.

Q3:
D. explain a view held by feminist scholars

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 15:20
Can any one share his/her insight on this topic?

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 04:27
3rd question stumbled on whether C or D . But, Deplore is like STRONG CONTRASTING .. which is extreme he isn't contrasting everything. he says even though it had those problems it worked out well in other ways. :) . so answer D .
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 00:35
What exactly should be the level of this passage? Could someone pls elaborate on that? I found it to be a little difficult, the answer choices were confusing as well for a few questions. Also why not option B for the 3rd question. Why option D? I somehow agree that D is correct, but why is option B wrong?
mikemcgarry chetan2u GMATNinjaTwo
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 10:18
Ashy Boy wrote:
What exactly should be the level of this passage? Could someone pls elaborate on that? I found it to be a little difficult, the answer choices were confusing as well for a few questions. Also why not option B for the 3rd question. Why option D? I somehow agree that D is correct, but why is option B wrong?

Dear Ashy Boy,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is a VERY HARD passage. The first paragraph in particular is very dense and requires great attention. That first paragraph is probably about as difficult as the GMAT gets on RC passages.

The 3rd question is about the purpose of the second paragraph. The first paragraph says that the modern feminist scholars disagree with the earlier scholars about what was going on in the 1920s. The second paragraph qualifies that, pointing out some similarities between these modern feminist scholars and the earlier scholars. I would say that the primary purpose of the second paragraph is to qualify the first paragraph, to soft the strong thesis statement made at the outset.

Certainly, one thing the second paragraph does is to "explain a view held by feminist scholars"--it's explaining by clarifying the pattern of disagreement and agreement. The purpose of the second paragraph is not primary to make any particular historical point about the suffragists in the 1920s. It's primary point is to clarify the relationship between the newer feminist scholars and the more traditional ones.

Does al this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 22:44
mikemcgarry wrote:
Ashy Boy wrote:

Dear Ashy Boy,

This is a VERY HARD passage. The first paragraph in particular is very dense and requires great attention. That first paragraph is probably about as difficult as the GMAT gets on RC passages.

The 3rd question is about the purpose of the second paragraph. The first paragraph says that the modern feminist scholars disagree with the earlier scholars about what was going on in the 1920s. The second paragraph qualifies that, pointing out some similarities between these modern feminist scholars and the earlier scholars. I would say that the primary purpose of the second paragraph is to qualify the first paragraph, to soft the strong thesis statement made at the outset.

Certainly, one thing the second paragraph does is to "explain a view held by feminist scholars"--it's explaining by clarifying the pattern of disagreement and agreement. The purpose of the second paragraph is not primary to make any particular historical point about the suffragists in the 1920s. It's primary point is to clarify the relationship between the newer feminist scholars and the more traditional ones.

Does al this make sense?

Thanks Mike. Yes it made sense now. Thanks once again.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 04:36
1)Notice key words in the first and last paragraphs:
First:- Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States...
So it's about recent scholarship.
Last:- During this decade, however,
Notice the transition word, "however."
So we're getting a discussion about recent scholarship, but with a different take on the scope of the accomplishments discussed. This is best captured in C
2)The first line of paragraph 2:
In some ways, however, these scholars still present the 1920's as a period of decline.
So the scholars claim that the 20's was a period of decline.
And then in paragraph 3: During this decade, however, there was intense activism aimed at achieving increased autonomy for women, broadening the spheres within which they lived their daily lives.
However, there were important achievements. So the extent of the decline was, perhaps, overstated. The answer is C
3)As we saw in the previous question, the second paragraph explains the view held by feminist scholars (the 20's was a period of decline), and the subsequent paragraph will attempt to undermine, or at least refine this view. (there were many important achievements.) The answer is D

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 22:31
Difficult passage , took 8 mins 20 seconds , including almost 4 mins to read . All correct .

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Wharton Exec '19
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 12:05
Took 10 Mins + but got 2 right and 1 wrong. Damn !!!!!
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 08:48
I can't locate the neeed information for Q2 and Q3. can anyone help me please?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 00:12
Skywalker18 wrote:
Difficult passage , took 8 mins 20 seconds , including almost 4 mins to read . All correct .

Hi Skywalker,
Can u kindly explain the answer to Q36 or the 2nd question. I strongly felt E as the answer, but the OA is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 09:08
sunny91 wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:

Hi Skywalker,
Can u kindly explain the answer to Q36 or the 2nd question. I strongly felt E as the answer, but the OA is C.

No author didn't mention any disagreement over materializing of voting rights . He has just mentioned the view held by these scholars. However in 2nd paragraph he presents his view and disagree with the view of these scholars. And that topic of disagreement is covered by option C.

Use POE , you will definitely reach to correct answer :)

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 23:20
I take a lot of time to read the RC passages and the accuracy is 50%. Can anyone suggest ways to improve?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 07:24
Kezia9 wrote:
I take a lot of time to read the RC passages and the accuracy is 50%. Can anyone suggest ways to improve?

Dear Kezia9,

My friend, as obvious as this might sound, the very best way to improve on GMAT Reading Comprehension is to read. This is especially true for non-native speakers. Yes, there are a few strategies that may help a little, but the big difference-maker is whether you are willing to put in all the time and effort to develop a rigorous daily habit of reading. If English is not your first language, then I would suggest an hour a day--that's a hour over and above any time you are devoting to GMAT preparations. First and foremost, read business news. Become conversant in all the major issues facing the business world today: in addition to reading practice, this will give you a fabulous background for business school. Also, read academic material, in fields that are not familiar to you: force yourself to read material that uses jargon that you've never heard before. For more recommendations, see this blog post:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

You can make substantial improvements if you are really serious about bringing the best of yourself to the GMAT.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 06:28
Thank you Mike. I was very discouraged and your post encouraged me. Will follow yor advice . Have a great year.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 05:46
mikemcgarry wrote:
Ashy Boy wrote:

Dear Ashy Boy,

Does al this make sense?

please can u explain the entire passage to me?? its hard for me to understand it
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 07:15
this is beautiful. the passage is not hard but the inference needed to answer question is hard. compared to lsat passage, gmat passage is easier but gmat question is harder and require higher inference.

it is harder to be able to read gmat passages than to answer questions using inference from one or two sentences. practicing inference is more interesting than practicing reading text. reading text is a skill you need to have when you learn english. for some persons, including me, the lack of reading skill prevent them from suceeding on gmat. so,my advice is, for non native, who have not been successful, to relearn/practice reading english. gmat need only a few months.
Re: Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2018, 07:15

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Recent feminist scholarship concerning the United States in the 1920’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap