Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 854
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Retake strategy and useful tips? [#permalink]
Quote:
Hi yashwanthreddy,

First off, a 680/Q50 is a strong score (it's right around the 85th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Furthermore, referring to that score as 'relatively low' makes you sound silly. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

If you do choose to retest, then we have to examine how you were studying for the Verbal section before.

1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Since I am targeting ISB'18 admit and I had sufficient time for application deadline, I am planning to retake the test and strengthen my application.

Detailed answers to your queries are listed below :

1. How long have you studied? - I studied for 2 months

2. What study materials have you used? Mainly I used OG, GMATCLUB forum and egmat SC online course.

3. How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? -
a) GMATPREP1 : 580 (V-20, Q-50)
b) MGMATCAT1 : 620(V-26, Q-46)
c) MGMATCAT2 : 610 (V-27, Q-44)
d) MGMATCAT3 : 640 (V-30, Q- 44)
e) MGMATCAT4 : 670 (V-31, Q-47)
f) MGMATCAT5 : 720 (V-37, Q-46)
g) GMATPREP2 : 680 (V-31, Q-50)
All the tests above except GMATPREP1 and MGMAT CAT1 were taken in modified sectional order (Q-V-IR-AWA)

4. When are you planning to apply to Business School? - I am planning to apply in November,2017.

5. What Schools are you planning to apply to? - Currently I am planning to apply for ISB and INSEAD.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64904 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
yashwanthreddy wrote:
Hi all,

I wrote GMAT on 15th July and got a relatively low 680(V-31, Q-50) as I was targeting 720+. While writing the test I was confident that I would achieve my target score, but I couldn't at the end. I took another appointment for GMAT(26th August). Currently I had 35 days for the test. Can anyone suggest how to strategize the available time so I can improve my verbal score to atleast 38?

You might want to get your ESR to see if you have any obvious Verbal shortcomings. If you find that your performance on a certain question type has been especially poor, you know exactly where to put in your time and effort. Meanwhile, ensure that your Quant stays up to date so that you don't lose points there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
A very common mistake that re-takers commit, as did I, is that they stop focusing on Quant especially if their quant score is close to 50. So, make sure that you practice atleast 10 random quant questions daily. As far as Verbal is concerned, ESR is important, as Karishma said. So, look at the section you performed worst from the lenses of accuracy and time. Timing is important to hit 700+.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi yashwanthreddy,

To start, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet to have scored higher. By extension, now that you've taken the Official GMAT, it's possible that you might continue to improve on this performance. However, GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, most of your CAT score results (and your Official GMAT Score) show that you essentially performed the same way each time (+/- a few points). Unfortunately, we have to ignore that one V37 - it's an 'outlier' and you never performed close to that level again. This implies that "your way" of approaching the Verbal section will continue to earn you a Verbal score in the high-20s/low-30s. To raise this level to a V38, you will have to make some significant improvements to how you handle the Verbal section - and that will require that you change how "see" (and respond to) that section of the Test.

Thankfully, the Verbal section of the GMAT is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You have also given yourself plenty of additional study time - which is good. If yo focus on learning/practicing the proper Tactics, I bet you could retest within a month and score higher.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi yashwanthreddy,

To start, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet to have scored higher. By extension, now that you've taken the Official GMAT, it's possible that you might continue to improve on this performance. However, GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, most of your CAT score results (and your Official GMAT Score) show that you essentially performed the same way each time (+/- a few points). Unfortunately, we have to ignore that one V37 - it's an 'outlier' and you never performed close to that level again. This implies that "your way" of approaching the Verbal section will continue to earn you a Verbal score in the high-20s/low-30s. To raise this level to a V38, you will have to make some significant improvements to how you handle the Verbal section - and that will require that you change how "see" (and respond to) that section of the Test.

Thankfully, the Verbal section of the GMAT is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You have also given yourself plenty of additional study time - which is good. If yo focus on learning/practicing the proper Tactics, I bet you could retest within a month and score higher.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Yes, I am planning to change my approach towards verbal section in order to improve the score to 38 or above. I can safely devote 20-25 hours a week. Adding to that I do not score higher in one of the verbal area. Its more or less consistent that I get equal number of wrong answers in each of SC, CR and RC. Can you suggest some points to make improvement?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi yashwanthreddy,

Given your specific Verbal needs - and the timeframe that you have before your next Official GMAT, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so it would fit your schedule perfectly. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
I would like to add something that I read in one of the Veritas' Books. If your score is Less than 75 Percentile in exam, you probably need a better conceptual understanding. Extending it to individual sections, since your Verbal score is 31, you should concentrate more efforts towards understanding/learning better the concepts in your weakest section.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32890 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM