Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V46
GPA: 3.23
WE:Consulting (Real Estate)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Retaking from 740? Serious Inquiry for Thoughts [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nah dude. Don't retake. A 740 is already 10 points higher than the highest average. You've passed the threshhold and by far. And now no one will doubt your abilities. You could get an 800 and it wouldn't help you that much more.

Now it's time for you to invest your energies where they matter - your networking, school visits, preparing your resume and application, doing anything you can at work, or in your ECs/volunteer position to give yourself a final boost. From here on in that stuff will matter more and your time will be better invested there,

Best,
Jon
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congrats on your score! I agree with the others here...everyone feels like they could have done better on the test but you already exceeded the highest average GMAT score so you more than check the box. No need to retake! At this point, your time and energy is better spent researching schools and starting to work through your application story - what unique experiences, strengths, and qualities set you apart and how do you plan to communicate those to the adcom? What are your post-MBA career goals and and how will you tie them back to what you've been doing professionally?

Best of luck to you!

-Melody
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Not sure it makes sense here I think most programs will check off the GMAT for you once you score this high. I don't think it will be seen as a negative if you score worse but it just may not be the best use of your time. Now you would have a lot of time before R1 if you so chose but there are just better things you can do with your time to make a real impact
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much re4Bschool11, bb (I'm star-struck!), Jon, Melody, and Dozie for your kind advices!
I really appreciate that you took the time to review and discuss with me.

It seems like you guys all agree that admission wise it is not the best use of time to re-take GMAT at this moment.

From scholarship perspective - do you have a view whether higher GMAT score could help?
M7s are not necessarily known for generous scholarships, but (except schools that don't do merit based scholarship) would scoring higher in GMAT move the needle in any way?

Thank you!!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shinest814 wrote:
Thank you so much re4Bschool11, bb (I'm star-struck!), Jon, Melody, and Dozie for your kind advices!
I really appreciate that you took the time to review and discuss with me.

It seems like you guys all agree that admission wise it is not the best use of time to re-take GMAT at this moment.

From scholarship perspective - do you have a view whether higher GMAT score could help?
M7s are not necessarily known for generous scholarships, but (except schools that don't do merit based scholarship) would scoring higher in GMAT move the needle in any way?

Thank you!!

Nope!
Not really. Meaning, yeah sure if it were effortless and guaranteed a higher GMAT is always good. But your profile will be considered holistically for scholarships as for admission. So it's not just the GMAT, and if you have a 770 you won't necessarily get better offers or money.

So once again - take the time NOW to start working on all that other stuff, because it's more important from here on in. Your GMAT is good (well, actually great!)

Best,
Jon
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi there, yes, a higher GMAT score can never hurt, but is the time and energy it will require worth the far from certain upside? I would say no. Similar to your admissions decision, any scholarship awards are determined based on your holistic application, not only a specific score or statistic. Work experience is also very important. So your time is better spent working on the other pieces of a stellar, well-rounded application. All other things equal, one thing you can do to maximize your chances of receiving a scholarship is apply early, when the scholarship pot is still full. That's not a guarantee by any means but could help.

Congrats again on your great score! Best of luck with your applications!

-Melody
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes a potentially higher GMAT could help you out on that front, but as far as gaining admission probably not much. You would have the time since it is May
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much Jon, Melody, and Dozie :) I sincerely appreciate your advice and time!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM