Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Retaking GMAT : Should i Quit my job and study ? [#permalink]
Hi Ujjwalkathpalia,

Please do not quit your job for GMAT. GMAT as an exam is specifically designed for working people. You can easily ace your GMAT while working. You should dedicate around 3 months to achieve your dream score. It’s a good thing you have already taken your GMAT. You now know your weaknesses and work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for three months, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. You try out free access to EmpowerGMAT, Magoosh and Optimus Prep as they have great reviews on GMATCLUB.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you practice all the questions twice from the latest version of OG and the verbal review. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi ujjawal,
you have to brush up quant skill and concentrate on verbal
leaving job is not a right option. rather you can take sabotage of few weeks.

this will keep your employment active.

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ujjwalkathpalia wrote:
Hello All

I gave my gmat on 18th March-2017 and scored 620 (Q-47 and Verbal-29). I was a bit shocked to see my GMAT score , because i expected the score to be above 650.I am planning to retake my exam in August (last week of august) and have started preparing for the same.I am in a confused state right now , cause i want to study , but I do not get enough time. I switched my job in March and was promoted from consultant to Sr System Analyst (i am handling a team of 2 people). It is a strenuous activity and i can't devote enough time to my studies. I am planning to Quit my job and study for 2 months because i feel i have the potential to jump at least 60-80 points.But it is the fear of rejection (because then i will be having a gap in employment) that is not allowing to make a decision. Also i am bored of doing the same thing again and again , since i am in support team , there is nothing much to learn and grow.

Kindly let me know what do you think of the same . Here is my profile

1) Education :- Decent (10th-89% , 12th - 64% , Btech -7.01 CGPA)
2) Extracurricular activity
a) Played district in Basketball , got selected for State , but did not go because of studies pressure.
b) Disk jockey , have learned the course , but i do not play anywhere professionally

PS:- I want to do my MBA in supply chain or Operation and have valid experience of 4 years in technical aspect of supply chain (warehouse management)

All the suggestions are appreciated.

You should certainly not quit your job to prepare for the GMAT. If you are bored in your job and see no bright prospects, try to change jobs but quitting for GMAT preparation is not acceptable.

If you are stuck at a point, you can increase your score by drilling down deep.

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
As a general guide line and a starting point, you can start solving a question by taking the following things in consideration:

1. Find out the subject and the verb
2. See that the S&V agree in number
3. Look out for the modifiers
4. Look out for parallelism
5. Look out for usage of certain words - such as vs like, few vs less etc.

CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.
Quants: Again try to break the questions in topics such as Algebra, Number system (very important), Geometry, PnC etc.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ujjwalkathpalia wrote:
Hello All

I gave my gmat on 18th March-2017 and scored 620 (Q-47 and Verbal-29). I was a bit shocked to see my GMAT score , because i expected the score to be above 650.I am planning to retake my exam in August (last week of august) and have started preparing for the same.I am in a confused state right now , cause i want to study , but I do not get enough time. I switched my job in March and was promoted from consultant to Sr System Analyst (i am handling a team of 2 people). It is a strenuous activity and i can't devote enough time to my studies. I am planning to Quit my job and study for 2 months because i feel i have the potential to jump at least 60-80 points.But it is the fear of rejection (because then i will be having a gap in employment) that is not allowing to make a decision. Also i am bored of doing the same thing again and again , since i am in support team , there is nothing much to learn and grow.

Kindly let me know what do you think of the same . Here is my profile

1) Education :- Decent (10th-89% , 12th - 64% , Btech -7.01 CGPA)
2) Extracurricular activity
a) Played district in Basketball , got selected for State , but did not go because of studies pressure.
b) Disk jockey , have learned the course , but i do not play anywhere professionally

PS:- I want to do my MBA in supply chain or Operation and have valid experience of 4 years in technical aspect of supply chain (warehouse management)

All the suggestions are appreciated.
Be very careful. If you leave your job, ensure that you're doing something (else) to make your application stronger. Dropping out of work just to study for the GMAT won't look good.
GMAT Club Bot