GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 12:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ruminant even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Ruminant even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 06:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:46) correct 41% (01:59) wrong based on 164 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ruminant even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers unlike the plant cellulose that is digested in the intestines of odd-toed ungulates, which are relatively large grazers.

(A) Ruminant even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers unlike the plant cellulose that is digested in the intestines of odd-toed ungulates, which are relatively large grazers.

(B) Relatively large grazers such as odd-toed ungulates digest plant cellulose in their intestines as opposed to the stomach chambers used for digestion by even-toed ungulates.

(C) Odd-toed ungulates are relatively large grazers and, unlike the ruminant even-toed ungulates that digest food in their stomach chambers, they digest plant cellulose in their intestines.

(D)Unlike the ruminant even-toed ungulates that digest food in their stomach chambers, plant cellulose is digested in the intestines of odd-toed ungulates, which are relatively large grazers.

(E) Plant cellulose is digested in the intestines of odd-toed ungulates, which are relatively large grazers, unlike the ruminant even-toed ungulates that digest food in their stomach chambers.

source - CrackVerbal

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Ruminant even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 06:53
Unlike creates a comparison between odd-toed ungulates and even-toed ungulates. So C is correct

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Ruminant even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 07:33
Comparison is between Odd-toed ungulates and even-toed ungulates

C makes the correct comparison

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 09:39
aragonn wrote:
Ruminant even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers unlike the plant cellulose that is digested in the intestines of odd-toed ungulates, which are relatively large grazers.

(A) Ruminant even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers unlike the plant cellulose that is digested in the intestines of odd-toed ungulates, which are relatively large grazers.

(B) Relatively large grazers such as odd-toed ungulates digest plant cellulose in their intestines as opposed to the stomach chambers used for digestion by even-toed ungulates.

(C) Odd-toed ungulates are relatively large grazers and, unlike the ruminant even-toed ungulates that digest food in their stomach chambers, they digest plant cellulose in their intestines.

(D)Unlike the ruminant even-toed ungulates that digest food in their stomach chambers, plant cellulose is digested in the intestines of odd-toed ungulates, which are relatively large grazers.

(E) Plant cellulose is digested in the intestines of odd-toed ungulates, which are relatively large grazers, unlike the ruminant even-toed ungulates that digest food in their stomach chambers.

source - CrackVerbal

Answer must be (C)

Odd-toed ungulates are relatively large grazers and, unlike the ruminant even-toed ungulates that digest food in their stomach chambers, they digest plant cellulose in their intestines.

The pink part refers to the ruminant even-toed ungulates & The Orange part clearly refers to the Odd-toed ungulates

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 17:52
I think C contain multiple antecedents for pronoun "they" and "their".

So I voted for B. No pronoun-antecedent confusion.

Where I am wrong.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 23:07
I am not sure whether I am correct or not
But i eliminated C because unlike part which is main crux of sentence is between comma in C
So I chose B over C

i dont know why their interest in B is creating problems. I could be wrong but a proper explanation is certainly welcome
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Journalism and Publishing)

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 02:51
Choice B changes the intended meaning of the sentence. It quotes odd-toed ungulates digest as an example of large grazers.
Booth Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 03:00
push12345 wrote:
I am not sure whether I am correct or not
But i eliminated C because unlike part which is main crux of sentence is between comma in C
So I chose B over C

i dont know why their interest in B is creating problems. I could be wrong but a proper explanation is certainly welcome

If you see closely you will notice that B changes the meaning.The original intention is to say OTU digest plant cellulose.But B says RLG do the digesting.Also if you read the option literally you will get the meaning that RLG is being compared to the stomach.

There are no hard and fast rules that apply to every problem in SC.Therefore in respect to "B" "C" is much better
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 03:07
when there is a comparison between X and Y, shouldn't they be put close to each other ? I read somewhere that when there is a comparison between two things, it is recommended that they be placed close to each other.

In that case,
option C- Odd-toed ungulates are relatively large grazers and, unlike the ruminant even-toed ungulates that digest food in their stomach chambers, they digest plant cellulose in their intestines.

And, that's why I chose option-B. Although, I'm not quite sure whether the usage of - X as opposed to Y is idiomatically correct.

Can anyone please clear this doubt :D ?
Booth Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Ruminant even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 03:32
Not necessarily.When like & unlike are used, then the main nouns of each segment are to be compared.Precisely what is happening in C...

Excuse me for the grammar lingo...
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 03:38
redskull1 wrote:
Not necessarily.When like & unlike are used, then the main nouns of each segment are to be compared.Precisely what is happening in C...

Excuse me for the grammar lingo...

Then option-C is better than the rest. The comparison is clear, just that the "comma" after "And" made me a little dubious about it.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 04:45
Abhishek009 wrote:
aragonn wrote:

source - CrackVerbal

Answer must be (C)

Odd-toed ungulates are relatively large grazers and, unlike the ruminant even-toed ungulates that digest food in their stomach chambers, they digest plant cellulose in their intestines.

The pink part refers to the ruminant even-toed ungulates & The Orange part clearly refers to the Odd-toed ungulates

Here, two independent clauses are not connected properly. comma after 'and' is just to separate the next entity. Could you please tell us why C is correct?
Thanks
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 05:56

Official Explanation:

Answer - C
Concepts tested: Comparisons

A - Compares ET (even toed) ungulates to plant cellulose.
B - Compares OT (odd toed) ungulates to stomach chambers.
C – Compares animals to animals and hence right.
D - Compares ETungulates to plant cellulose.
E - Compares plant cellulose with ETungulates.

satya2029 - let me know if this is not enough. Mind that you need to find the best choice and C is best of the lot.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 06:05
aragonn wrote:

Official Explanation:

Answer - C
Concepts tested: Comparisons

A - Compares ET (even toed) ungulates to plant cellulose.
B - Compares OT (odd toed) ungulates to stomach chambers.
C – Compares animals to animals and hence right.
D - Compares ETungulates to plant cellulose.
E - Compares plant cellulose with ETungulates.

satya2029 - let me know if this is not enough. Mind that you need to find the best choice and C is best of the lot.

yes. I agreed. Comparison is best presented by choice C only. My point was can we allow this kind of sentence structure in which two independent clauses are not connected properly. If I were facing this situation in the real GMAT, I would have gone for C.
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 06:36
What do you mean by not properly connected? there is 'and' in between, parallelism is followed for both clauses.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 07:06
aragonn wrote:
What do you mean by not properly connected? there is 'and' in between, parallelism is followed for both clauses.

Both are independent clauses. To join two IDC we need either comma+FANBOYS or ;(semicolon). Comma before 'and' is required here.

If we remove the entity which is encapsulated between commas, Sentence will still make sense.

"Odd-toed ungulates are relatively large grazers and they digest plant cellulose in their intestines." This construction is not correct. There should be comma before "and"
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 07:50
yes comma before 'and' is needed, usually such mistakes are not raised in GMAT, but yes it is good to know.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 05:47
A compares the ungulates to plant cellulose…so wrong.
B compares ungulates to stomach chambers.
D again compares ungulates to plant cellulose
E incorrectly contrasts the fact that odd-toed ungulates are relatively large grazers to the fact that even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers.

C is the right answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ruminant even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2019, 05:47

Ruminant even-toed ungulates digest food in their stomach chambers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics