GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 May 2019, 19:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2019, 22:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (01:45) correct 69% (01:52) wrong based on 244 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which grows outward to search for its food sources by retracting from everything but the most efficient route, in an effort to better understand how to optimize traffic patterns.

(A) grows outward to search for its food sources by retracting

(B) grows outward to search for its food sources, and the slime mold retracts

(C) grows outward, searching for its food sources and retracting

(D) searches for its food sources by growing outward and retracts

(E) searches for its food sources and grows outward, retracting

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 09:29
neha283 wrote:
MikeScarn wrote:
Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which grows outward to search for its food sources by retracting from everything but the most efficient route, in an effort to better understand how to optimize traffic patterns.

Hi,
Can anyone tell why option D is correct and not C?

Option D says that it does 2 things (2 verbs joined with and) - searches and retracts.
From what i understand from the question - it searched by
1. growing outwards while
2. retracting from everything but the most efficient route

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks!

Hi neha283 santorasantu , this is a tough one. I'll try to attack this question from a couple angles. Hopefully one of them will suffice.

Meaning:
Let's read the sentence without the modifier that is surrounded by comma's.

"Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold in an effort to better understand how to optimize traffic patterns."

Okay, so scientists are trying to improve their understanding of how to optimize traffic patterns. Cool. How do they plan on bettering their understanding? They're going to look at slime mold.

Why look at slime mold? Well, slime mold finds food by growing outwards. Once the mold finds some food, it then retracts from everything except the most efficient route to the food.

Let's check out some answer choices.

MikeScarn wrote:
(A) Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which grows outward to search for its food sources by retracting from everything but the most efficient route, in an effort to better understand how to optimize traffic patterns.

The mold grows outward by retracting? That's impossible. Is it growing outward or retracting? Meaning error.

MikeScarn wrote:
(C) Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which grows outward, searching for its food sources and retracting from everything but the most efficient route, in an effort to better understand how to optimize traffic patterns.

This once is icky. We added another comma here, so we can't remove the whole modifier to have that nice and clean sentence that I wrote at the beginning of this post.

"which grows outward" is clearly modifying "slime mold." Cool. I'm good with that.

What is "searching for its food sources and retracting from everything but the most efficient route" modifying? Is it modifying "slime mold"? It is modifying "Scientists?"

Further, The slime mold grows outward and then retracts, but growing outward does not cause it to retract.

MikeScarn wrote:
(D) Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which searches for its food sources by growing outward and retracts from everything but the most efficient route, in an effort to better understand how to optimize traffic patterns.

This one doesn't sound good to me either, but who cares? GMAC sure doesn't. It doesn't sound good because of the verb forms "searches for X by growing outward and retracts from Y." If we remove that Prepositional phrase: "for its food sources by growing outward," then it will sound a lot better.

We're looking great from a parallelism point of view. "searches for X and retracts from Y"

This works great from a meaning perspective because it shows that the slime mold searches by growing outward and retracts from everything except the best route. These are two independent actions. They do not grow outward and retract at the same time.

I hope this helps someone.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 03:52
MikeScarn wrote:

Hi,

Option D says that it does 2 things (2 verbs joined with and) - searches and retracts.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 07:03
neha283 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

According to me, the problem with option C is that it breaks the continuity of Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold,...,in an effort to better understand how to optimize traffic patterns
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 07:13
Gmatninja can you please help with this sentence.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 21:28
Slime mold -- retracts from everything

this should help you eliminate choices A, C, and E.

Then, choice B is just redundant in its use of slime mold again. Hence, choice D.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 05:38
On a separate note, kinda confused by the "but", can anyone explain the use of "but" here?
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 06:49
but is used to depict except here.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 11:37
reneew1024 wrote:
On a separate note, kinda confused by the "but", can anyone explain the use of "but" here?
To add to EducationAisle 's reply, this but is actually a preposition and not a conjunction. We can also use apart from in addition to except to see what this but means. For example:

The dictator's demands were anything but simple. ← This is another way of saying that the demands were not simple ("they were anything except/apart from simple").
B
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 06:14
please explain how to eliminate options and isn't there any pronoun error in D; shouldn't "which " follow 'and'.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which   [#permalink] 08 May 2019, 06:14

Scientists are analyzing the movement patterns of slime mold, which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap