It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 07:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scored Lower than Expected - Need Study Plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Scored Lower than Expected - Need Study Plan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 21:42
I just took the GMAT today and was shocked to see that I score a 560(Q39, V28, IR 4). I got what I expected on the verbal section but I tanked quant somehow. I am determined to retake and score 720+ on my next attempt. I was hoping to apply for b school in the 1st round but that may not be possible with a 720+ goal. Long story short, I am either taking the exam early October or as late as November to apply in 2nd round.

Anyways, I am leaning towards taking it again in 2-3 weeks before R1 applications because I was really dead set on going to school next year. I purchased the enhanced score report to get a good idea of what exactly happened on the exam. I started off poorly in the first part verbal(68%), got 86% correct in the second/third parts, and then ended 68% correct in the second. I included a couple of images from the breakdown of my verbal section. For quant, I only got ~2 questions incorrect in the first half and then ended only 14% correct on the second half. So what would be the best way to proceed in the next 2-3 weeks? I was thinking of taking a ton of timed OG practice questions for Quant to increase accuracy and speed(especially on higher difficulty questions). But for verbal, after going through all of Veritas Prep, my scores are still over the place. I feel as though I didn't practice enough maybe? I took 9 exams in a 6 week time frame. I've included my scores down below for reference! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Note - I realize I took a lot of exams in a short amount of time. I realize that this was a mistake but I enjoy taking exams to try and see immediate progress(I won't be doing the same again)

Veritas 8/13 - 450 Q35 V18
Veritas 8/20 - 580 Q40 V30
Veritas 8/21 - 590 Q39 V33
Veritas 8/25 - 640 Q46 V32
Veritas 8/26 - 640 Q43 V35
Veritas 09/1 - 660 Q47 V32
GMAT Prep 09/7 - 620 Q45 V30
MGMAT - 09/11 - 650 Q45 V34
GMAT Prep 09/13 - 600 Q45 V28(Sad part I scored just as high as actual exam when I guessed on last half because I got tired)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Re: Scored Lower than Expected - Need Study Plan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 02:52
First of all, the Gmat score is not based as much on the percentage of questions that you answer correctly as it is based more on the difficulty of questions that you answer correctly. You should just keep practicing until you get better at consistently answering harder questions correctly in order to improve your score.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3523 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Scored Lower than Expected - Need Study Plan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 11:21
Hi togepy123,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day.

To start though, in a prior post:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/final-two-da ... l#p1924313

You described what you were planning to do during the last 2 days before your GMAT. Did you follow that plan? I also have a few questions about how you took your practice CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3523 [0], given: 173

Re: Scored Lower than Expected - Need Study Plan   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2017, 11:21

Scored Lower than Expected - Need Study Plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap