Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [24]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [4]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.4
Send PM
Re: Using a seismic survey, hydrocarbons can be located even though they a [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey everyone, I've been using GMAT Club for ages now and decided to finally start posting and helping others out.

I was stuck for a bit on D and E as well, but there is a clear reason to eliminate D that has not been mentioned.

D says, "hydrocarbons can be detected using a seismic survey," and if you read into it the phrase is a bit ambiguous and illogical.

Hydrocarbons can't use a seismic survey...

Consider this
My friend can often be found eating a donut.

Sent from my SM-G928T using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [2]
Send PM
Re: Using a seismic survey, hydrocarbons can be located even though they a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
LXVE wrote:
Hey everyone, I've been using GMAT Club for ages now and decided to finally start posting and helping others out.

I was stuck for a bit on D and E as well, but there is a clear reason to eliminate D that has not been mentioned.

D says, "hydrocarbons can be detected using a seismic survey," and if you read into it the phrase is a bit ambiguous and illogical.

Hydrocarbons can't use a seismic survey...

Consider this
My friend can often be found eating a donut.

You're right, it does sound a tad bit ambiguous and less logical than (E) on looking at it from that perspective. Thanks for the clarification!
Another thing I later noticed is, (E) captures the essence of the original sentence more effectively than (D) - since the original sentence attempts to convey a bit of a contrast / 'surprise factor' with the "even though" phrase.

But yeah certainly, the significance of your point about logic is even more important.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 424
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
(A) Using a seismic survey, hydrocarbons can be located even though they are buried far beneath Earth’s surface. - modifier issue, 'who is using a seismic survey?' cant be hydrocarbons
(B) Hydrocarbons can be located even though they are buried far beneath Earth’s surface, using a seismic survey. - again doesn't specific who is using a seismic survey, incomplete modifier
(C) Locating hydrocarbons that are buried far beneath Earth’s surface, a geophysicist can use a seismic survey. - this has some meaning issue
(D) Buried far beneath Earth’s surface, hydrocarbons can be detected using a seismic survey. - this also loses some of the meaning in compared to the answer choice E, there is no mention of who can detect a seismic survey to make it more accurate.
(E) Using a seismic survey, a geophysicist can locate hydrocarbons even though they are buried far beneath Earth’s surface. - correct modifier, logically makes sense.

Please let me know if I incorrect in my thinking.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
alpham wrote:
(A) Using a seismic survey, hydrocarbons can be located even though they are buried far beneath Earth’s surface. - modifier issue, 'who is using a seismic survey?' cant be hydrocarbons
(B) Hydrocarbons can be located even though they are buried far beneath Earth’s surface, using a seismic survey. - again doesn't specific who is using a seismic survey, incomplete modifier
(C) Locating hydrocarbons that are buried far beneath Earth’s surface, a geophysicist can use a seismic survey. - this has some meaning issue
(D) Buried far beneath Earth’s surface, hydrocarbons can be detected using a seismic survey. - this also loses some of the meaning in compared to the answer choice E, there is no mention of who can detect a seismic survey to make it more accurate.
(E) Using a seismic survey, a geophysicist can locate hydrocarbons even though they are buried far beneath Earth’s surface. - correct modifier, logically makes sense.

Please let me know if I incorrect in my thinking.

Eliminating A and B is not an issue, like you have mentioned...Important thing, like someone else posted above, to notice here is the contrast marker - "even though". Only E gets both the modifier and the contrast correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [3]
Send PM
Sentence Correction: Using Modifiers Question 1 [#permalink]
Kudos
Friends,

I would like to discuss about a question that I came across. Its an SC question, using modifiers.

Q1. Using a seismic survey, hydrocarbons can be located even though they are buried far beneath Earth's surface.

a) Using a seismic survey, hydrocarbons can be located even though they are buried far beneath Earth's surface
b) Hydrocarbons can be located even though they are buried far beneath Earth's surface, using a seismic survey
c) Locating hydrocarbons that are buried far beneath Earth's surface, a geophysicist can use a seismic survey
d) Buried far beneath Earth's surface, hydrocarbons can be detected using a seismic survey
e) Using a seismic survey, a geophysicist can locate hydrocarbons even though they are buried far beneath Earth's surface

Ans: Clearly the statement is missing the subject that the modifier "Using a seismic survey" is modifying. So a) is incorrect. e) is the best option here.
However, in passive forms of sentences, the subject is optional. So the below two forms, if given, would also have been correct:

1. Hydrocarbons can be located using a seismic survey even though they are buried far beneath Earth's surface (re-shuffled option b)
2. Hydrocarbons, buried far beneath Earth's surface, can be detected using a seismic survey (re-shuffled option d)

Do you agree?

Thanks,
Saurabh
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Sentence Correction: Using Modifiers Question 1 [#permalink]
Top Contributor
chaudhurysr wrote:
Friends,

I would like to discuss about a question that I came across. Its an SC question, using modifiers.

Q1. Using a seismic survey, hydrocarbons can be located even though they are buried far beneath Earth's surface.

a) Using a seismic survey, hydrocarbons can be located even though they are buried far beneath Earth's surface
b) Hydrocarbons can be located even though they are buried far beneath Earth's surface, using a seismic survey
c) Locating hydrocarbons that are buried far beneath Earth's surface, a geophysicist can use a seismic survey
d) Buried far beneath Earth's surface, hydrocarbons can be detected using a seismic survey
e) Using a seismic survey, a geophysicist can locate hydrocarbons even though they are buried far beneath Earth's surface

Ans: Clearly the statement is missing the subject that the modifier "Using a seismic survey" is modifying. So a) is incorrect. e) is the best option here.
However, in passive forms of sentences, the subject is optional. So the below two forms, if given, would also have been correct:

1. Hydrocarbons can be located using a seismic survey even though they are buried far beneath Earth's surface (re-shuffled option b)
2. Hydrocarbons, buried far beneath Earth's surface, can be detected using a seismic survey (re-shuffled option d)

Do you agree?

Thanks,
Saurabh

Hello chaudhurysr

Welcome to the gmatclub. :)

Please go through follow links before posting on gmatclub.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-v ... 19866.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-to-pos ... 08733.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-po ... 33935.html

Please post the question in respective department with all the information regarding source, difficulty and others.
Also do not follow letter format like
friends......I would discuss...........thanks etc
Please modify all your posts accordingly. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Using a seismic survey, hydrocarbons can be located even though they a [#permalink]
Kudos
Using a seismic survey, hydrocarbons can be located even though they are buried far beneath Earth's surface.

Do you agree?

Originally posted by chaudhurysr on 15 Feb 2017, 22:54.
Last edited by Kurtosis on 16 Feb 2017, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Merged
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos