It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"So that" usage

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
"So that" usage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 12:00
Dear mikemcgarry & RonPurewal

I have a big confusion about using the construction 'clause + so that + clause'. As far as I know from Magoosh and English grammar books, it follow the:

Action + so that + Purpose

Effect + so that + cause

Is there any exceptions of the rule above for cited construction? I do not focus on "so + adj/adv + that". I tried to understand the following sentences from topic about "Desertification" but I can't see that they follow the rule above:

The gradual drying of the soil caused by its diminished ability to absorb water results in the further loss of vegetation, so that a cycle of progressive surface deterioration is established.

The gradual drying of the soil caused by its diminished ability to absorb water results in the further loss of vegetation, so that a cycle of progressive surface deterioration is established.

The increased pressures of expanding populations have led to the removal of woody plants so that many cities and towns are surrounded by large areas completely lacking in trees and shrubs.

In last sentence specially, is it logic to say that the cause of ' lack of trees in cities' results in 'pressure to remove woody plants' ? I feel it is vice versed. It is that removal of woody plants led to the effect of lacking tress in cities?

Thanks for help

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Magoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8940 [1], given: 111

"So that" usage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Mo2men wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry & RonPurewal

I have a big confusion about using the construction 'clause + so that + clause'. As far as I know from Magoosh and English grammar books, it follow the:

Effect + so that + cause

Is there any exceptions of the rule above for cited construction? I do not focus on "so + adj/adv + that". I tried to understand the following sentences from topic about "Desertification" but I can't see that they follow the rule above:

The increased pressures of expanding populations have led to the removal of woody plants so that many cities and towns are surrounded by large areas completely lacking in trees and shrubs.

In last sentence specially, is it logic to say that the cause of ' lack of trees in cities' results in 'pressure to remove woody plants' ? I feel it is vice versed. It is that removal of woody plants led to the effect of lacking tress in cities?

Thanks for help

Dear Mo2men,

My friend, I'm happy to respond. :-)

First, I'll recommend this blog:
GMAT Idioms: Cause and Consequence

I agree with your first formulation (Action + so that + Purpose) but something doesn't feel right at all about the second formulation (Effect + so that + cause)--I would say it's something more along the lines of Cause + so that + effect.

I call the so that and so [adjective] that idioms "clause of consequence," because what follows the "that" is typically the consequence of an action or decision. Often, at least with human actors, these clause carry the connotation that the consequence was an intended one--that's why a consequence, a result, can also be a purpose.

In these sentences about desertification, there's no human actor, no conscious intention, so what follows the "so that" is purely a consequence.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8940 [1], given: 111

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 173 [3], given: 0

Re: "So that" usage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 03:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi —

Quote:

^^ This is fundamentally accurate.

Quote:
Effect + so that + cause

^^ This is exactly backward. If you reverse "cause" and "effect", this will also be a fundamentally accurate representation.
(Remember, one meaning of the word "so" is, essentially, equivalent to "therefore".)

MORE IMPORTANTLY, though —
Remember that it's ALWAYS better to memorize EXAMPLES, NOT RULES!

This is just the way the human mind works. For instance, consider your understanding of what it means to be "rude".
If I were to ask you, "What constitutes rude behavior in your culture/country/social circle?" ... then you DEFINITELY WOULDN'T give me "rules" (and you almost certainly wouldn't be able to formulate such rules, even if you were asked to!).
Instead, you would just throw a bunch of EXAMPLES at me ... until I'd gathered a sufficient conceptual understanding from the aggregate of those examples, together.

You should absorb SC concepts in the same way.
•••IF NECESSARY••• you can START with a "rule" — but you should replace any "rules" with EXAMPLES as soon as you can.

Please visit my corners of the web:
http://www.RonPurewal.com
http://www.facebook.com/RonPurewalGMAT
__

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete fare domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi
__

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
—Yves Saint-Laurent

Kudos [?]: 173 [3], given: 0

Re: "So that" usage   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2017, 03:29

"So that" usage

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap