GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 14:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Some say that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
P
Some say that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 04:22
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:12) correct 53% (01:27) wrong based on 327 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Some say that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state. Yet, students at our state’s Tunbridge College pay less, enjoy newer buildings and smaller class sizes, and earn larger incomes after graduation.

The information above, if true, most strongly supports which of the following judgments?

(A) Tunbridge College provides the best value in our state.
(B) Tunbridge College has more stringent entrance requirements than Saddlebook College, and thus attracts students of a higher caliber.
(C) It is not true that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state.
(D) Student income after graduation is a valid means of judging the value of a college education.
(E) Students at Tunbridge College report higher rates of satisfaction than students at Saddlebrook College.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Re: Some say that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 05:20
carcass wrote:
Some say that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state. Yet, students at our state’s Tunbridge College pay less, enjoy newer buildings and smaller class sizes, and earn larger incomes after graduation.

Conclusion :
Saddlebrook College does not provide the best value in our state, rather Tunbridge College does.

(C) It is not true that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state. --> Correct, as per the reasoning

Hence, C.

The few, the fearless !

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Some say that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 06:46

The information above, if true, most strongly supports which of the following judgments?

Note that the conclusion is not present in the premise. This is a must be true Qs and hence should not include new information.

(A) Tunbridge College provides the best value in our state. Can not be inferred
(B) Tunbridge College has more stringent entrance requirements than Saddlebook College, and thus attracts students of a higher caliber. new information
(C) It is not true that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state. Correct
(D) Student income after graduation is a valid means of judging the value of a college education. Can not be inferred
(E) Students at Tunbridge College report higher rates of satisfaction than students at Saddlebrook College. Can not be inferred

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Re: Some say that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 09:35
C & D are equally good.How can you say C is good and not D..?

Posted from my mobile device
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 09:50
redskull1 wrote:
C & D are equally good.How can you say C is good and not D..?

The question stem asks us to find a strengthener, or a must be true and not a could be true.

In our case :
(C) It is not true that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state. --> This option can be read between the latter part of argument
(D) Student income after graduation is a valid means of judging the value of a college education. --> Whereas this option is more like an assumption, there is clear gap between the claim given and this statement with no filler, and to infer that would be bit extreme

Hope it helped :thumbup:

The few, the fearless !

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 09:57
C jumped out to me, but I could understand how people might acccidentally pick D

feel free to reach out ⁓

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 22:29
Had the question been to identify the assumption, would Option D be correct?
Please someone clarify.

carcass wrote:

(B) Tunbridge College has more stringent entrance requirements than Saddlebook College, and thus attracts students of a higher caliber.
(C) It is not true that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state.
(D) Student income after graduation is a valid means of judging the value of a college education.
(E) Students at Tunbridge College report higher rates of satisfaction than students at Saddlebrook College.

Stuck in the 600-700 score bracket? I welcome you to read my four-step course of action to a modest score.
I also invite you to critique and help me find flaws in my modus operandi. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 04:41
abhinav770 wrote:
Please someone clarify.

carcass wrote:

I think everything but the correct answer, C, could be construed as an assumption.

feel free to reach out ⁓

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 11:00
Top Contributor
abhinav770 wrote:
Please someone clarify.

carcass wrote:

No, because the conclusion talks about students pay less. D says how to evaluate the college. D cannot be interpreted as a possible assumption.

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 04:03
carcass wrote:

This one is pretty tricky if you ask me. I think the key here is to really focus on what the question is asking.

"The information above, if true, most strongly supports which of the following judgments?"

The stem is not asking which will strengthen your assumption. It is basically asking: The Premises above strengthen which of the following conclusions?

(C) It is not true that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state. This is a conclusion (aka judgement), and the premises clearly give you this conclusion..
(D) Student income after graduation is a valid means of judging the value of a college education. This is not a conclusion or judgment. This is just validating that the premise is helpful information.

I incorrectly chose D and have now come to this reasoning. Hope this helps someone else!

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 04:38
There can be no other answer except 'C'.
Of course the author here assumes that 'best value' is measured based on these these parameters:
pay less, enjoy newer buildings and smaller class sizes, and earn larger incomes after graduation.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 04:55
sudarshan22 wrote:
carcass wrote:

Conclusion :
Saddlebrook College does not provide the best value in our state, rather Tunbridge College does.

(C) It is not true that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state. --> Correct, as per the reasoning

Hence, C.

Well, we don’t know from the argument if Tunbridge is the best in state. We just know that Saddlebrook is not the best because Tunbridge has better experience/outcomes

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Some say that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state &nbs [#permalink] 11 Sep 2018, 04:55

Some say that Saddlebrook College provides the best value in our state

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap