It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 09:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some scientists suggest the moon had been formed out of part

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 218 [1], given: 20

Some scientists suggest the moon had been formed out of part [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 18:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:38) correct 33% (00:37) wrong based on 476 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Some scientists suggest the moon had been formed out of part of the Earth, which was dislodged perhaps by a meteor.

A the moon had been formed out of part of the Earth, which was dislodged perhaps
B that the moon was formed from part of the Earth that had perhaps been dislodged
C that part of the Earth formed the moon, which was dislodged perhaps
D the moon was formed out of part of the Earth, having perhaps been dislodged
E that the moon had been formed from part of the Earth, which perhaps had been dislodged
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Divyadisha on 26 Jul 2016, 15:08, edited 2 times in total.
OA Added

Kudos [?]: 218 [1], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Some scientists suggest the moon had been formed out of part [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2011, 00:04
My pick B
that needs to follow a reporting verb her suggest
Right usage of tense in B
dislodge happened before the moon formed

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8168 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2011, 07:58
The correct answer is C because of the need to use that and the relative pronoun touch-rule. Only in C, the relative pronoun which refers correctly to moon.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8168 [0], given: 364

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2011, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
B

Idiom: "suggest that"
C changes the meaning.
In E, there are not two events in different points in the time line of the past to use past perfect.

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 62

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2011, 18:32
This post received
KUDOS
abhicoolmax wrote:
Hi fluke, thanks a lot for your explanation. Could you please explain why "having been ..." modifies moon? I want to learn the abstract concept you used to present your explanation. Thanks.

Some scientists suggest the moon was formed out of part of the Earth, having perhaps been dislodged by a meteor.

-ING form ALWAYS modifies the subject of the sentence touching it with COMMA unlike WHICH and other modifiers

Subject of "Some scientists suggest the moon was formed out of part of the Earth" - moon
so the sentence tells - Moon was dislodged by a meteor - does not make sense because moon did not even exist when meteor hit - So nonsense

the other errors: suggest that not there

Labor cost for typing this post >= Labor cost for pushing the Kudos Button
http://gmatclub.com/forum/kudos-what-are-they-and-why-we-have-them-94812.html

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 62

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 34

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2011, 21:07
abhicoolmax wrote:
fluke wrote:
agdimple333 wrote:
Some scientists suggest the moon had been formed out of part of the Earth, which was dislodged perhaps by a meteor.
D) the moon was formed out of part of the Earth, having perhaps been dislodged
having been dislodged again indicates that the moon was dislodged.

Hi fluke, thanks a lot for your explanation. Could you please explain why "having been ..." modifies moon? I want to learn the abstract concept you used to present your explanation. Thanks.

Hi Abhicoolmax,
"Having + past participle" is special usage of participle and known as Perfect participle.
The perfect participle indicates completed action.

Here sentence mean that "When moon was formed out of part of Earth, the moon was already dislodged by meteor" which is wrong.

Giving kudos is a decent way to say "Thanks". If my post helps you please give me kudos.
All the best for your exam.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 34

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 865 [2], given: 724

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
goodyear2013 wrote:

A) the moon had been formed out of part of the Earth, which was dislodged perhaps
B) that the moon was formed from part of the Earth that had perhaps been dislodged
C) that part of the Earth formed the moon, which was dislodged perhaps
E) that the moon had been formed from part of the Earth, which perhaps had been dislodged

OE:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
"suggest that"-> E, C and E left
(B) CORRECT. This choice begins with “some scientists suggest that the moon was formed…” clearing up the confusion from the original sentence about what the scientists are suggesting. Second, this choice uses the preferred idiom “formed from.” The modifying phrase “that had perhaps been dislodged” correctly refers to “part of the Earth.”

Hi, can anyone explain about clearing up the confusion... from OE, please.

Guys,

Need to have more discussion on this Question.

I think this question is not good....

2 issues I have with this question....

The use of suggest (subjunctive verb) needs that +sub+ plural verb construction where as the correct ans B has a verb "was formed" which is Singular....hence cannot be correct. Option C does correct this error but then in C we have other issues

that part of the Earth formed the moon, which was dislodged perhaps....here which refers to moon and the sentence means that part of the earth formed the moon and the moon was dislodged perhaps by meteor....now which should ideally refer to part of the earth and not the moon....

What do you think let me know.....

Experts,please chip in

More discussion on this question some-scientists-suggest-the-moon-had-been-formed-out-of-part-116058.html#p938854

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

2 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9285 [2], given: 1168

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 05:45
This post received
KUDOS
well.

First of all let me say that the question for me is good: at the first time it seems easy but indeed you need some brain power to disentagle.

A) the moon had been formed out of part of the Earth, which was dislodged perhaps

X suggest ---> as soon as you see this, the question is : what ?? what they say. I immediatly think to THAT: we need a restrictive modifier because a priori the meaning of the sentence is: a part of something drifted away from this, going to form another corpus (the moon). That say, we need a resticted modifier to convey the scope of a general noun to a relevant subset. Basically, the other options also communicate that the entire earth took part in this process. And this is wrong: we have ONLY one part comes into the picture.

B) that the moon was formed from part of the Earth that had perhaps been dislodged

here we have the use of THAT correctly used. The sentence is parallel and the events, in their unfolding, are pretty much clear. CORRECT

her we have THAT + WHICH: thi is the worst scenario we could have. really far from home

same as A does + having (remember in general the use of having is really really bad on the gmat)

E) that the moon had been formed from part of the Earth, which perhaps had been dislodged

sama as C

This could comes in handy http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/

Hope this helps

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9285 [2], given: 1168

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
carcass wrote:
well.

First of all let me say that the question for me is good: at the first time it seems easy but indeed you need some brain power to disentagle.

X suggest ---> as soon as you see this, the question is : what ?? what they say. I immediatly think to THAT: we need a restrictive modifier because a priori the meaning of the sentence is: a part of something drifted away from this, going to form another corpus (the moon). That say, we need a resticted modifier to convey the scope of a general noun to a relevant subset. Basically, the other options also communicate that the entire earth took part in this process. And this is wrong: we have ONLY one part comes into the picture.

here we have the use of THAT correctly used. The sentence is parallel and the events, in their unfolding, are pretty much clear. CORRECT

her we have THAT + WHICH: thi is the worst scenario we could have. really far from home

same as A does + having (remember in general the use of having is really really bad on the gmat)

sama as C

This could comes in handy http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/

Hope this helps

The question was driving me crazy on my way back home and I got hold of Manhattan SC to understand the Subjunctive mood and I do like to change my views on this question...

Pg 112, Manhattan SC says that Command Subjunctive is used with certain Bossy verbs such as require or propose(can be used with to as well). BOSSY VERBS TELL PEOPLE TO DO THINGS

For Subjunctive verb the sentence structure is

Trigger word (Demand/Dictate/Insist/Mandate/Recommend/Request/Stipulate/Suggest)+ THAT+ Sub+ Plural verb (irrespective of the sub before the verb).

Now I had problem with option C precisely because of the verb used "was formed" which is Singular...hang on it should have been plural...

On Pg 115, MGMAT SC says that few Bossy verbs can be used in NON-BOSSY ways: Eg Her presence suggests that she is happy...In this context, suggests means "PROBABLY MEANS"....It is not acting bossy....

AS ALWAYS PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE MEANING...

Option C is out because which refers to moon and thus incorrect....

I am at peace now :sleep

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Design (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 07:35
daagh wrote:
The correct answer is C because of the need to use that and the relative pronoun touch-rule. Only in C, the relative pronoun which refers correctly to moon.

Daagh, dont you think the sentence is trying to say, that moon was formed from a part of the earth, not from earth. It is like apart of earth say X was hit by a meteor and this action created several heavenly bodies including moon & we can say that the moon had been dislodged.
Please let me understand where I am thinking wrong?
I agree with your logic in C but I want to make sure my understanding is correct.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 205

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 14:00
What's the source of this question? Here, OE says that the use of which in A is wrong: the relative pronoun “which” must
refer to the immediately preceding noun, suggesting illogically in this case that “the Earth” was dislodged by a meteor.
I was under impression that the use of which is not so strict and that which can also refer to a group of words. Concretely, I thought that which could correctly refer to 'part of the Earth' in A and that A is wrong for other reasons.
Can which refer to part of the Earth in A? sayantanc2k can you please help?

Manager
Manager
S

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 01:32
OE says that the use of which in A is wrong: the relative pronoun ???which??? must
refer to the immediately preceding noun, suggesting illogically in this case that ???the Earth??? was dislodged by a meteor.
I was under impression that the use of which is not so strict and that which can also refer to a group of words. Concretely, I thought that which could correctly refer to 'part of the Earth' in A and that A is wrong for other reasons.
Can which refer to part of the Earth in A?

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3506 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 07:41
kivalo wrote:
OE says that the use of which in A is wrong: the relative pronoun ???which??? must
refer to the immediately preceding noun, suggesting illogically in this case that ???the Earth??? was dislodged by a meteor.
Can which refer to part of the Earth in A?

The use of "which" in A is alright - it refers to "part of the earth". Similarly the use of "that" in B is also alright. These are examples of one particular type of exception of the modifier touch rule - the following excerpt from Manhattan SC guide explains this exception:

In general, noun modifiers must touch their nouns. However, there are a few exceptions to the Touch Rule.
1. A “mission-critical” modifier falls between. This modifier is often an Of phrase that defines the noun. The less important modifier refers to the noun plus the first modifier.
Right: He had a wav OF DODGING OPPONENTS that impressed the scouts.
Here, the “mission-critical” modifier of dodging opponents defines the noun way.

SC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1172 [0], given: 890

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 21:02
How to apply the mission critical modifier rule?

In this case, 'that' or 'which' can refer to 'part of the earth'. But consider the below MGMAT wrong answer choice:

'The defeat of the Spanish Armada, which stymied the Armada's plans to meet up with the Duke of Parma's army off the coast of Flanders in the Spanish Netherlands, was not only due to gale winds that favored the British but also due to the sacrificing of eight war ships as fireships, vessels filled with pitch, brimstone, gunpowder, and tar and sent downwind toward the closely-anchored Spanish fleet.'

Why does 'which' refer here to 'Spanish Armada' alone and not to 'Defeat of the Spanish Armada'. I am not able to understand under what circumstances must one apply the mission critical modifier rule.

Kudos [?]: 1172 [0], given: 890

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 02:14
Vyshak wrote:

In this case, 'that' or 'which' can refer to 'part of the earth'. But consider the below MGMAT wrong answer choice:

'The defeat of the Spanish Armada, which stymied the Armada's plans to meet up with the Duke of Parma's army off the coast of Flanders in the Spanish Netherlands, was not only due to gale winds that favored the British but also due to the sacrificing of eight war ships as fireships, vessels filled with pitch, brimstone, gunpowder, and tar and sent downwind toward the closely-anchored Spanish fleet.'

Why does 'which' refer here to 'Spanish Armada' alone and not to 'Defeat of the Spanish Armada'. I am not able to understand under what circumstances must one apply the mission critical modifier rule.

Hi Vyshak,

Please consider the discussion at this link: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/stymieing-the-armadaa-s-plans-to-meet-up-with-the-duke-t30250.html

Ron Purewal, in his reply to a question posed by a user on the thread, has indeed said that the use of "which" is fine in such constructions. I agree that the original question on the Manhattan thread is a little different in that it has fewer details in the sentence (for example : your sentence reads Flanders in the Spanish Netherlands, whereas the question there just has Flanders), but the essence of the construction wrt to the use of "which" is the same.

Cheers! :)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 03:04
Vyshak wrote:

In my opinion, "which" is not the reason that this option is wrong - here "which" correctly refers to "The defeat of the Spanish Armada", not "Spanish Armada".

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 08:31
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 182

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 18:50
carcass wrote:
well.

sama as C

Hope this helps

Hi Carcass,

I used the following as decision points :

dislodged perhaps vs perhaps been dislodged

Dislodges perhaps - made more sense to me, as we are not questioning the fact that the moon got dislodged but how it got dislodged "by a meteor"

Vs

Perhaps been dislodged- made me think that we are questioning whether it got dislodged or not

Please suggest, where am I going wrong

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 182

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 20:04
The correct answer is C because of the need to use that and past perfect. Only in C, the relative pronoun which refers correctly to moon.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

Re: Some scientists suggest the moon had been formed out of part   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2017, 20:04

Some scientists suggest the moon had been formed out of part

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap