GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Apr 2020, 11:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stuck GMAT at 570 using MGMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Stuck GMAT at 570 using MGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2020, 19:43
Hi All,

I have been using Manhattan GMAT preparation since December 2019 (including the books and CAT Simulation). I have tried the CAT 5 times and my score stuck at 570. Below are the result:

CAT EXAM #5Completed 02/15/2020Score: 570 (40Q 29V)
CAT EXAM #4Completed 02/08/2020Score: 570 (39Q 30V)
CAT EXAM #3Completed 02/02/2020Score: 570 (41Q 28V)
CAT EXAM #2Completed 01/26/2020Score: 580 (40Q 31V)
CAT EXAM #1 (FREE)Completed 01/16/2020Score: 570 (39Q 30V)

It's kinda frustrating. I am planning to take the actual exam on March 18, 2020 and targeting to have at least 700 on the score. Does anyone have some advice on how to deal with this?

My Background:
- Accounting Degree, work in a private equity company
- Non-native English speaker, but work in English speaking environment

How did I study:
- Finish reading and practice the MGMAT book (Finished around end of December 2019)
- Weekend: (Usually Saturday) do the CAT exam
- Weekdays: Review the CAT and re-do the question

Any advice will be highly appreciated!!
Thank you
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge
Re: Stuck GMAT at 570 using MGMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 06:43
Gmatnewbie16 - Welcome to GMAT Club.

At a below 570 score level, you should go for a more structured online GMAT course or a tutor for you may need to work on both concept and strategies, and books/self-study may not be the best option. Please take a few moments to check the review of some of the most trusted GMAT courses in the below link.

GMAT Course Reviews: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/gmat_courses/

New to GMAT Club? Start with the study plan!
Should I retake GMAT? Retaking GMAT Strategies!

What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 07:25
Hi, Gmatnewbie16,

MGMAT books are better source to solidify the foundation to ace GMAT. So, try to identify the weak areas of quant and verbal section based on analysis of mocks. Relearn the concept and practice more questions of such weak areas. Still if you could not find a way then you can try for the on-demand courses like EmpowerGMAT or TTP or private tutoring. However, i'd suggest to identify your weak areas and seek help from experts in the forum.
Tutor
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 08:00
Hello, Gmatnewbie16, and welcome to the forum. I agree with what has been written above. Your consistency is remarkable across a two-month prep period, so I think you could expect a 570, give or take 20-30 points (for test-day factors), were you to sit for the exam as is. I doubt rereading your Manhattan Prep material will unveil any secrets you had missed the first time around, and building momentum over the next four weeks will be vital to your success, whether you reach 700 or, as is more likely, make gains into 600 territory. The benefit of online, module-based learning is its structure and relatively low cost, compared to working with a private tutor. (And yes, I say this as a private tutor who does not offer online module access.) You can study the material any time, and you will be forced to obtain a certain level of proficiency to graduate to other modules. Such foundational knowledge can make quite a difference on test day, and I would say your Quant could really use it. It is not that a 40 is poor, but keep in mind, a 50 is only in the mid-80s, in terms of a percentile score, and you want to show that your numerical knowledge, as it may apply to business, is in well-above-average shape. For a non-native English speaker, a matching 40 in Verbal would be quite a feat. As others have said, you might want to check out the marketplace for highly rated Verbal modules. If you had more time, I might recommend checking out more material on your own, but four weeks can go by in a flash, and I think if you are stalled with self-preparation, then it is time to seek other avenues for learning. A tutor can be an asset, but you do not want to spend a lot of money covering basics that you should have mastered already. Tutoring is best, in my opinion, as a first or last resort, one that either opens your eyes to everything (in the beginning) or helps refine your approach when you have maxed out what you can achieve on your own. You can check out free resources online--GMAT Club articles such as GMATNinja's Beginners' Guides to GMAT Verbal, perusing community responses to questions, or seeing what you can find on YouTube--but again, time is working against you, so you will want to make a big change soon and shift from self-study into a more guided path. Based on what I have seen in the profession, online, module-based learning produces quicker gains than self-study through books.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. If you have any questions, by all means, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stuck GMAT at 570 using MGMAT   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2020, 08:00

Stuck GMAT at 570 using MGMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics