GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2019, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Study Plans Help Please?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Study Plans Help Please?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 18:08
So I took a full length mock test and came out with a very very sad 310. The score was to be expected. I didn't run out of time at all but also didn't really rush either. I think half-way through Quant I already realized my biggest weakness was being maybe 5-6 years removed from algebra/geometry/other math shown on the tests.
This probably started to sink in by the time I realized I forgot how to use exponents with fractions and I didn't know the circumference of a circle :dazed :roll:

...Which is fine. I'm glad I could figure out my biggest weakness before the mock test even finished. I'm not under any time constraint as I have yet to schedule. I am not in a HUGE rush to go to grad school, but was really aiming for Spring or at least Fall of 2020. I work full time and, especially towards month ends, I come home and just flop on my bed.

So given my low score, I already downloaded some resources to briefly look over (a math foundations PDF from this site) while I wait for my books (OG and Manhattan series)to arrive sometime this week (June 24th?). I know I should start with foundations, but after that I really don't know what to study, how long to study, or what to do first. I'm willing to set aside 1-2 hours an evening on weekdays and probably 6-10 hours on weekends to study.

If someone can point me in a direction, that would be greatly appreciated.
I'm new to this site and there are so many resources here that I don't really know where to look first.
Many thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
P
Premium Member
Re: Study Plans Help Please?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 00:57
TeaclubEst2019 wrote:
So I took a full length mock test and came out with a very very sad 310. The score was to be expected. I didn't run out of time at all but also didn't really rush either. I think half-way through Quant I already realized my biggest weakness was being maybe 5-6 years removed from algebra/geometry/other math shown on the tests.
This probably started to sink in by the time I realized I forgot how to use exponents with fractions and I didn't know the circumference of a circle :dazed :roll:

...Which is fine. I'm glad I could figure out my biggest weakness before the mock test even finished. I'm not under any time constraint as I have yet to schedule. I am not in a HUGE rush to go to grad school, but was really aiming for Spring or at least Fall of 2020. I work full time and, especially towards month ends, I come home and just flop on my bed.

So given my low score, I already downloaded some resources to briefly look over (a math foundations PDF from this site) while I wait for my books (OG and Manhattan series)to arrive sometime this week (June 24th?). I know I should start with foundations, but after that I really don't know what to study, how long to study, or what to do first. I'm willing to set aside 1-2 hours an evening on weekdays and probably 6-10 hours on weekends to study.

I'm new to this site and there are so many resources here that I don't really know where to look first.
Many thanks in advance!

Hi TeaclubEst2019 and welcome to Gmat Club,

The most important part of successful GMAT strategy is to figure out weaknesses, so you have done that already. As you pinpointed, you lack basic understanding of concepts tested on the GMAT, thus it would be wise to start working on your fundamentals. Do you think you are stronger in quant or verbal sections? What was your splits? If you feel like you are better at quant, start with it. Try, MGMAT series on Quant, they got everything you need. First, make sure you know basic concepts, then learn to apply them on easy problems, if successful then increasing difficulty of questions attempted. Once you feel comfortable, then proceed with OG questions (do not waste them at the beginning of your studies). While you wait for your books, try this link, it has everything you may need https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html . If you want to study online, try Target Test Prep, but again, you really have all the information you need in the link above, so no need to spend $$.
As per verbal, this section is hardest for many GMAT aspirants, including me. Here, you need to build very strong fundamentals to succeed in harder questions. Again, I would recommend MGMAT SC book, it is gem. You may want to read 3-4 times until you are comfortable with all concepts thought there. For CR, try Powerscore CR Bible, and for RC just practice loads of passages here on gmat club.
I think, this all should guide you at least for the beginning of your journey. Should you have any questions, you are welcome to reach me back.
If you found this helpful, please press kudos.
Happy studying
G
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q168 V167
GPA: 3.85
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 02:25
TeaclubEst2019 wrote:

Many thanks in advance!

Welcome to Gmat Club,

I agree with nigina93 regarding the basics you should first master. At least you should know what concepts are being tested. Your language background may also play a huge role in your preparation. However, even if you live in English speaking country and already have a tuned ear for what might sound correct in SC, this may get you through questions with only average difficulty. For most tough questions you still need enough mechanical knowledge. In the beginning of your preparation I want to draw your attention to RC, since this section needs to be developed over comparatively longer time period. On GMAT you deal with 4 passages and the faster you crack them the longer time you will have for more time consuming SC and CR. Scientific topics in RC are pretty hard to follow and you need some background knowledge for them. For example, I really struggled with passages in anatomy, biology, and chemistry in the beginning. However, now I am doing pretty well on such passages. What I did was to translate all the details of such passages and visualize the hormonal processes described in them. I googled hormones, enzymes, genes, chemical messengers, etc. and spent some time studying how they work. Pictures and videos about cells and their parts are easy to follow and memorize. Yes, all this took some time but it was both interesting and worth all the effort. Just translating and understanding are not enough. I also wanted to be able to visualize all the process described because thus I could easily memorize all new terms with their interrelation. As soon as I learnt a few passages this way, I became really comfortable with such passages. GMAT mostly uses the same terminology for such passages even if processes describes in them are different.

Actually, this tactic works well with passages in every topic. I read about feminism and especially about cosmos. Writings of Stephen Hopkins were really helpful. Vocabulary of his works seemed to be tough but I had to learn the terminology because I meet these words in RC a lot. On top, learning all new words I meet in RC is hugely helpful because thus I understand the passage fast, don’t have to read it twice, and memorize it easily so that I can answer questions without going back to it.

I hope I wrote at least something useful for you. Have a good day.
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 02:34
TeaclubEst2019 wrote:

Many thanks in advance!

Hi TeaclubEst2019,

Welcome to GMATCLUB. It's a good thing you have taken Mock once. You now know your weaknesses and can work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I think you need to solidify you base and adopt a proper technique to answer the questions. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. You try out free access to EmpowerGMAT, Magoosh and TTP as they have great reviews on GMATCLUB.

If you are looking for a good course in verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice.

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Re: Study Plans Help Please?   [#permalink] 20 May 2019, 02:34

Study Plans Help Please?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics