Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [50]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [18]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [10]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Such orb-weaving spiders like the argiope build webs in an essentially [#permalink]
boeinz wrote:
A. Such orb-weaving spiders like the argiope build webs in an essentially wheel-like structure - OUT; 'as' not 'like'

B. Such orb-weaving spiders as the argiope builds webs with what is essentially a wheel-like structure - OUT; 'with' is wrongly used here.

C. The argiope spider, in the same way as other orb-weaving spiders, build webs in a structure that is essentially wheel-like - OUT; 'builds' not 'build'

D. Orb-weaving spiders such as the argiope build webs that are essentially wheel-like - Looks ok.

E. Like other orb-weaving spiders do, the argiope builds webs as essentially wheel-like - OUT; 'as' is wrong used here.

Hence D.

"with an outer rim and a number of spokes emanating from the hub" I think it is a prepositional phrase...what it is modifying?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Such orb-weaving spiders like the argiope build webs in an essentially [#permalink]
D appears to be the best choice but I don't believe the the option D is completly correct.

The prepositional phrase "with an outer rim and a number of spokes emanating from the hub" should be modifying "spider web" not "spider"

I am eager to see OE
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6043 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Can someone explain the correct usage of "with" Option B is very wordy D is best...
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
age wrote:
Such orb-weaving spiders like the argiope build webs in an essentially wheel-like structure, with an outer rim and a number of spokes emanating from the hub.
A. Such orb-weaving spiders like the argiope build webs in an essentially wheel-like structure
B. Such orb-weaving spiders as the argiope builds webs with what is essentially a wheel-like structure
C. The argiope spider, in the same way as other orb-weaving spiders, build webs in a structure that is essentially wheel-like
D. Orb-weaving spiders such as the argiope build webs that are essentially wheel-like
E. Like other orb-weaving spiders do, the argiope builds webs as essentially wheel-like

A s a little too idiomatic, B and C try to right it, instead ending up longwinded , D corrects it in Direct and E falls everywhere, leaving it one of the fastest in this question type. The Answer is D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
A. Such orb-weaving spiders like the argiope build webs in an essentially wheel-like structure
Like is incorrect as it cannot be used for examples
B. Such orb-weaving spiders as the argiope builds webs with what is essentially a wheel-like structure
What is essentially seems awkward..
C. The argiope spider, in the same way as other orb-weaving spiders, build webs in a structure that is essentially wheel-like
Wheel like is modifer for Structure..
D. Orb-weaving spiders such as the argiope build webs that are essentially wheel-like
Correct
E. Like other orb-weaving spiders do, the argiope builds webs as essentially wheel-like
Like is used for example...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
age wrote:
Such orb-weaving spiders like the argiope build webs in an essentially wheel-like structure, with an outer rim and a number of spokes emanating from the hub.

Such as is used to introduce examples.

'Such like' is wrong idiom.

D is the correct option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
age wrote:

(A) Such orb-weaving spiders like the argiope build webs in an essentially wheel-like structure

(B) Such orb-weaving spiders as the argiope builds webs with what is essentially a wheel-like structure

(C) The argiope spider, in the same way as other orb-weaving spiders, build webs in a structure that is essentially wheel-like

(D) Orb-weaving spiders such as the argiope build webs that are essentially wheel-like

(E) Like other orb-weaving spiders do, the argiope builds webs as essentially wheel-like

Source : GMATPREP Default Exam Pack

(A) Such orb-weaving spiders like the argiope build webs in an essentially wheel-like structure- incorrect idiom

(B) Such orb-weaving spiders as the argiope builds webs with what is essentially a wheel-like structure- incorrect subject verb agreement

(C) The argiope spider, in the same way as other orb-weaving spiders, build webs in a structure that is essentially wheel-like-subject verb agreement

(D) Orb-weaving spiders such as the argiope build webs that are essentially wheel-like- correct idiom, subject verb agreement

(E) Like other orb-weaving spiders do, the argiope builds webs as essentially wheel-like- as is used incorrectly, like is used incorrectly as well
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone explain the correct usage of "with" Option B is very wordy D is best...

The word "with" is very versatile.

The final clause (COMMA + WITH) "with an outer rim and a number of spokes emanating from the hub." will modify the preceding one.

A quick analysis of the question first: A uses "Such like" => incorrect idiom. C has a subject-verb agreement problem; E uses "like" to present an example, but we know that "such as" is the correct idiom for the job.

B is out for a subject verb agreement as well but I would add that:
The noun "orb-weaving spiders" seems misplaced in B, you don't normally say "Such mammals as the dolphin"... you say "mammals such as the dolphin"; but I do think this is actually a mistake, but it's a bit awkward.
In option D "that are essentially wheel-like" modifies the webs correctly.
In option B "with what is essentially a wheel-like structure" does not modify the webs anymore, but it seems to say that "the webs were build WITH a wheel-structure" (used as tool or something).

"with+noun" can both refer to subject and refer to preceding clause. choice D prove this point. "with rim......."clearly must refer to "that" which is "web". if not, "with rim..." is not logic. but "with rim..." also refer to/modify the preceding clause, " that is wheel like".

I call this modification "double modification".
similar example is
learning gmat hard, I like the culture of English speaking persons.
learning..." must refer to "I" and at the same time , modifies the following clause. this is double modification.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
"with+noun" can modify the preceding clause but normally we do not see it refer to subject of the preceding clause. in our problem, however, "with+noun" refers to the subject of the preceding clause

the takeaway is that "with+noun" modifying the preceding clause can refer to subject of the preceding clause though normally we normally see that "with phrase" do not refer to the subject.

with many persons going out for change, I stay at home to study gmat.

in this example, "with many..." do not refer to the subject " I".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
age wrote:

(A) Such orb-weaving spiders like the argiope build webs in an essentially wheel-like structure

(B) Such orb-weaving spiders as the argiope builds webs with what is essentially a wheel-like structure

(C) The argiope spider, in the same way as other orb-weaving spiders, build webs in a structure that is essentially wheel-like

(D) Orb-weaving spiders such as the argiope build webs that are essentially wheel-like

(E) Like other orb-weaving spiders do, the argiope builds webs as essentially wheel-like

This question is based on Modifiers, Idiomatic Usage, and Construction.

The ‘argiope’ is an example of orb-weaving spiders. To convey an example, the phrase ‘such as’ is used. The phrase ‘such like’ is idiomatically inappropriate. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option B contains the appropriate idiomatic usage. However, the structure of this option changes the intended meaning of the sentence, which is that the webs have a wheel-like structure. We can identify the intended meaning from the modifier at the end of the sentence that describes a wheel. This option conveys the meaning that the argiope builds webs using a wheel-like structure. Since the meaning is distorted, Option B can be eliminated.

Option C is wordy. Furthermore, this option also changes the meaning. The phrase “in the same way” conveys a comparison between other orb-weaving spiders and the argiope. This option also has a subject-verb disagreement. The plural verb ‘build’ does not agree with the singular subject ‘the argiope spider’. So, Option C can also be eliminated.

To compare two actions, the conjunction ‘as’ is used. The conjunction ‘like’ is used to draw a comparison between two nouns or pronouns. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

Option D contains the appropriate idiomatic phrase ‘such as’ to convey an example. The structure of this option also ensures that the modifier at the end of the sentence properly modifies the subject “webs that are essentially wheel-like”. Therefore, D is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Hi,

Can anyone help me with understanding what is the subject in this sentence?

I thought that "the argiope" is the subject, and a singular subject should have a singular verb and hence I choose option (B), since the option pairs "The argiope" with "builds".

What am I missing, is the subject "Spiders", and if spiders is the subject, do examples introduced with lists (such as) cannot be the subject of the sentence?

Thanks in advance!
Shivam
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts