It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The extremely high cost of running a world class zoo is limiting what

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
V

Kudos [?]: 350 [1], given: 31

WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
The extremely high cost of running a world class zoo is limiting what [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (01:50) correct 75% (01:54) wrong based on 358 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The extremely high cost of running a world class zoo is limiting what animals are seen by the public. A few, very wealthy families now determine what animals can be acquired and seen. Zoo administrators should choose what animals are displayed. If we reduce the budget so that the zoo is supported only by ticket sales and gift shop receipts, the public will see less exotic animals.

Which statement below, if true, would weaken the argument?

(A) The combination of ticket sales and gift shop receipts cannot match the amount of money donated by wealthy families.
(B) Wealthy families will stop supporting the zoo if they are denied all control over how their money is used.
(C) Without the support of wealthy families, the zoo cannot afford to produce any new exhibits and will have to sell some animals.
(D) Some zoos have active breeding programs and literally “grow their own” animals.
(E) Some people go to the zoo regularly—not to see specific animals or new exhibits.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 350 [1], given: 31

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 21

The extremely high cost of running a world class zoo is limiting what [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 21:39
Can't understand why C is the right answer
Experts please help :)

Last edited by yoavyes on 12 May 2017, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 18

Concentration: International Business, Nonprofit
Re: The extremely high cost of running a world class zoo is limiting what [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 23:27
D there is nothing about breeding in passage so out of scope
same goes for E

A i assumed that they need to reduce budget as they cannot match wealth donated by families so in some or other way we can infer tht from passage so i ignored A
B same goes for B if they stop giving oney they can offset it by ticket sales

While C says that they cannot stand alone they need to sell some animals which will hit zoo the most compared to all other options thatis reason i chose C

Kudos for glory of Satan or Jesus or Allah or Krishna or Shiva or Brahma or Buddha or Vishnu or Abraham or Flying spaghetti monster :P

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 18

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

Premium Member
Re: The extremely high cost of running a world class zoo is limiting what [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 21:39
rohan2345 wrote:
The extremely high cost of running a world class zoo is limiting what animals are seen by the public. A few, very wealthy families now determine what animals can be acquired and seen. Zoo administrators should choose what animals are displayed. If we reduce the budget so that the zoo is supported only by ticket sales and gift shop receipts, the public will see less exotic animals.

(A) The combination of ticket sales and gift shop receipts cannot match the amount of money donated by wealthy families.
(B) Wealthy families will stop supporting the zoo if they are denied all control over how their money is used.
(C) Without the support of wealthy families, the zoo cannot afford to produce any new exhibits and will have to sell some animals.
(D) Some zoos have active breeding programs and literally “grow their own” animals.
(E) Some people go to the zoo regularly—not to see specific animals or new exhibits.

Isn't C strengthening rather than weakening the argument.
C says wealthy people are in fact deciding what animals people should see.
C could still be weakening by showing that the fact that the wealthy people are deciding what to see is not such a bad thing after all.

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 22:11
yoavyes wrote:
Can't understand why C is the right answer
Experts please help :)

As without the support of wealthy families, zoo cannot afford exhibits; option C implies that budget of Zoo is irrelevant as it is a meager amount in the whole revenue & would not probably affect much of their operational expense.
Any cut in funding from wealthy families would result in public viewing fewer exhibits.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 01:49
This post received
KUDOS
C is correct because the question accuses the wealth people of displaying less exotic animal, but C states that thanks to wealth people, exotic animals are not sold, assuming that "exotic" are not sold

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 216 [1], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 03:26
This post received
KUDOS
Below is my reasoning for C:

As per argument: Ticket sales and gift shop receipts are enough for zoo to produce any new exhibits, but the public will see less exotic animals.

As per option C: Without the support of wealthy families, the zoo cannot afford to produce any new exhibits. If zoo cannot even afford to produce any new exhibits, the consideration for showing less/more exotic animals is far fetched.

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 216 [1], given: 197

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 106

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 04:08
Here is my reasoning for the question. Should you guys have any comment, I'm glad to know!

Conclusion: Zoo administrators should choose what animals are displayed
This is a weaken question, so we should prove that the above suggestion should not be implemented because it is not a wise decision.
-> Pre-thinking assumptions: Remember that when zoo admin is the one deciding what animals to be seen, it means that wealthy families lose this right! Not sure exactly what will happen then, but almost certainly, the consequence will be LESS ANIMALS TO BE WATCHED by public.

Looking at all answer choices, we can see that except for (C), 4 other options did not clearly point out the negative consequence it will lead to after giving zoo admin the right of decision.

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 80

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 13:04
Cannot understand why C has to be the answer.They will eventually sell some of the animals, preferably the exotic ones to get more money, and hence the conclusion of the argument that public will get to see less exotic animals is reinforced.

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 80

Manager
Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 23:20
Supermaverick wrote:
Cannot understand why C has to be the answer.They will eventually sell some of the animals, preferably the exotic ones to get more money, and hence the conclusion of the argument that public will get to see less exotic animals is reinforced.

I think that you may assume that conclusion is [if zoo admin determines what animal to display, then public will see less exotic animals]. But in my opinion, it should be reversed. The conclusion should be: [zoo admin should take the right of decision, otherwise, if wealthy families have this right, fewer exotic animals will be seen]. In other words, because zoo admin will help maintain the number of exotic animals, zoo admin should determine what is displayed.

And answer (C) points out that without wealthy family's help, zoo admin will make negative impacts. => This is a weakener => Correct option.

What do you think about this?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 170

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 23:36
This post received
KUDOS
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Supermaverick wrote:

I think that you may assume that conclusion is [if zoo admin determines what animal to display, then public will see less exotic animals]. But in my opinion, it should be reversed. The conclusion should be: [zoo admin should take the right of decision, otherwise, if wealthy families have this right, fewer exotic animals will be seen]. In other words, because zoo admin will help maintain the number of exotic animals, zoo admin should determine what is displayed.

And answer (C) points out that without wealthy family's help, zoo admin will make negative impacts. => This is a weakener => Correct option.

I did the same reasoning, but after some answers here, I think this might have been a logical guess instead of a correct (find conclusion-then weaken conclusion) answer

Utilize your 'today' to build up your tomorrow'!

.... Looking for some kudos here...

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 170

Manager
Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 01:32
tanvi9 wrote:
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Supermaverick wrote:

I did the same reasoning, but after some answers here, I think this might have been a logical guess instead of a correct (find conclusion-then weaken conclusion) answer

In my first attempt on this question, I chose option C (You can scroll up to see my first post detailing my reasoning).

I just express my thought on the reason why the above guy didn't understand why (C) is correct. I think knowing the root cause of his/her confuse is necessary.
Besides, if you guys need evaluation of each option, just scroll up and take a look at the above posts. We may not need to repeat it. :)

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 10:09
@GMATNinja Please throw some light on this question. Option "C" seems to be strengthening the argument. While other options don't seem to be logically correct. Waiting for a reply eagerly. :)

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 138

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 199

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 04:49
sayantanc2k , chetan2u

My take on this one is:
Conclusion : if the budget is reduced so that the zoo is supported by ticket sales and gift shop certificates the public will see less exotic animals.
To weaken we need to weaken the claim that the public will see less exotic animals.
going by this logic i chose D which seems to be wrong. Please explain this one.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 199

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
S

Kudos [?]: 2040 [1], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 05:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I don't think this question makes any sense, so I'd suggest test takers just ignore it. It's clearly not an official question.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2040 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 08:49
rohan2345 wrote:

C is the right answer.. below is my reasoning.
The argument states that Rich families are responsible for the public to see less exotic animals as they choose their own liking and the zoo admin has no authority as such.
Option C says that Without these families support , not only will there be no new exhibits but the zoo will be forced to sell existing animals. Meaning the public actually sees more exhibits in the current scenario wherein the zoo is being supported by rich families.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The extremely high cost of running a world class zoo is limiting what   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 08:49

The extremely high cost of running a world class zoo is limiting what

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap