GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2016, 17:03
Only in E, there is a comparison between Javelin and discus, other options compare Javelin's sharp point and discus, which is not correct.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 08:40
Bluelagoon wrote:
Marcab wrote:
The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover, the discus is actually more likely to injure bystanders because, especially when wet, it can slip out of the thrower's hand and fly in a random trajectory.
javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover,
javelin has a sharp point and is obviously more dangerous than the discus; however,
javelin's sharp point is obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
javelin's sharp point makes it obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however,

We can actually look at other things in the sentence apart from more obviously or obviously more. A is incorrect because it makes a wrong comparison: the sharp point and the javillion . B uses a parallel marker 'and' , which is not correct. Only e remains as it properly uses semi colon to separate the two independent sentences , plus solves the problem by using a modifier for javelin. E wins.

Please can you explain the boldened bit, didn't quite get that?
Thanks
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 15:48
blueseas wrote:
Marcab wrote:
The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover, the discus is actually more likely to injure bystanders because, especially when wet, it can slip out of the thrower's hand and fly in a random trajectory.
javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover,
javelin has a sharp point and is obviously more dangerous than the discus; however,
javelin's sharp point makes it obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however,

there are two independent clauses before and after the semicolon.According to the meaning of the sentence we need a contrast with both these ICs.therefore the use of MOREOVER is wrong .THATS WHY A is wrong.

in C and D we are comparing sharp point with DISCUSS ==>this is wrong comparison.

option B is wrong because IS => linking verb AND SHOULD NEVER BE FOLLOWED BY ADVERBS.
In option B IS is followed by OBVIOUSLY this is wrong.

HENCE E

From where do you got that rule that a linking verb should never be followed by an adverb ?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 10:11
asdfghjklasdfghj wrote:
From where do you got that rule that a linking verb should never be followed by an adverb ?

I agree with your point. I am also not aware of any such rule.

B is incorrect because it changes the original meaning of the sentence.

As per the original meaning, sharp point makes javelin more dangerous, but in B this meaning is distorted. Hence wrong.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 08:37
IMO E .
E removes ambiguity from the subject and clearly uses proper sentence structure.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 21:07

(A) javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover,
(B) javelin has a sharp point and is obviously more dangerous than the discus; however,
(C) javelin's sharp point is obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
(D) javelin's sharp point makes it obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
(E) javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however,

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 01:29
blueseas wrote:
Marcab wrote:

there are two independent clauses before and after the semicolon.According to the meaning of the sentence we need a contrast with both these ICs.therefore the use of MOREOVER is wrong .THATS WHY A is wrong.

in C and D we are comparing sharp point with DISCUSS ==>this is wrong comparison.

option B is wrong because IS => linking verb AND SHOULD NEVER BE FOLLOWED BY ADVERBS.
In option B IS is followed by OBVIOUSLY this is wrong.

HENCE E

C is comparing the sharp point with discuss .
D is comparing javelin with sharp point -This might need revisiting .

D can also b mean answer ?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 12:25
Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs. But I am still not totally convinced.

"More obviously dangerous" is used to show that the danger posed by the javelin is more obvious than that posed by the discus. So, it means that "more" is modifying "obviously" and not "dangerous". So then if I remove "more obviously" from the sentence, the sentence would read as - Javelin, with its sharp point, is dangerous than the discus. This sentence is incorrect as there is no comparison. So the word "more" is required and it should be used for "dangerous".

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jul 2018, 12:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 49 posts ] 

The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap