It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The materials used to make older model cars (those built before 1980)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [1], given: 48

Concentration: Strategy
Premium Member
The materials used to make older model cars (those built before 1980) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2016, 23:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:30) correct 39% (01:27) wrong based on 347 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Editor of an automobile magazine: The materials used to make older model cars (those built before 1980) are clearly superior to those used to make late model cars (those built since 1980). For instance, all the 1960’s and 1970’s cars that I routinely inspect are in surprisingly good condition: they run well, all components work perfectly, and they have very little rust, even though many are over 50 years old. However, almost all of the late model cars I inspect that are over 10 years old run poorly, have lots of rust, and are barely fit to be on the road.

Which of the following is an assumption required by the argument above?

A) The quality of materials used in older model cars is not superior to those used to make other types of vehicles produced in the same time period.
B) Cars built before 1980 are not used for shorter trips than cars built since then.
C) Manufacturing techniques used in modern automobile plants are not superior to those used in plants before 1980.
D) Well maintained and seldom used older model vehicles are not the only ones still on the road.
E) Owners of older model vehicles take particularly good care of those vehicles

Could anyone shed more light please on this please.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 27 [1], given: 48

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 826

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The materials used to make older model cars (those built before 1980) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2016, 23:57
Hi there! Can you please tell me the source of the question? I think the question is poorly constructed, as the answer choice has new information that older cars are seldom used, and this has not been anywhere mentioned in the stimulus.

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Concentration: Strategy
Premium Member
Re: The materials used to make older model cars (those built before 1980) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 00:20
ShashankDave wrote:
Hi there! Can you please tell me the source of the question? I think the question is poorly constructed, as the answer choice has new information that older cars are seldom used, and this has not been anywhere mentioned in the stimulus.

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2015/07/gmat-tip-of-the-week-kanye-wests-everything-i-am-teaches-critical-reasoning/

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager
S

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 01:12
Have read the post..it isn't convincing..my advice..don't bother yourself with this question..there are many very clearly explained ones out there..

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 03:15
None seems to be correct! If at all anything made sense to me it was option C (but that too is very weak).

And D, the given OA, I thought was out of scope. Where in the argument is it told that the cars being tested are "still on the road"??

I dunno whether im confused or this question is :?

Experts??

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 142

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 72

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
The materials used to make older model cars (those built before 1980) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
Actually do bother yourselves with this question as it is a copy of an OG question on hotels.

Check it out: http://gmatclub.com/forum/guidebook-writer-have-visited-hotels-throughout-the-country-80358.html

try to negate answer D: If only the well maintained (survivor) old cars are still on the road then we can not assert that older cars are better.

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 72

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 210

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 01:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
arhumsid wrote:
None seems to be correct! If at all anything made sense to me it was option C (but that too is very weak).

And D, the given OA, I thought was out of scope. Where in the argument is it told that the cars being tested are "still on the road"??

Experts??

Lets go through the answer choices :

A : The quality of materials used in older model cars is not superior to those used to make other types of vehicles produced in the same time period.

No comparison between the older and newer models, so out of context.

B : Cars built before 1980 are not used for shorter trips than cars built since then.

Short trips or long trips? This really is not out concern, and even if we consider that the older cars are used on longer trips then there are more chances of having rust,wear and tear etc, as it is being run on longer routes. Thus it cannot be considered as an Assumption.

C: Manufacturing techniques used in modern automobile plants are not superior to those used in plants before 1980.

We are concerned about the material being used,talking about Manufacturing techniques is out of Scope.

E : Owners of older model vehicles take particularly good care of those vehicles

Same as C, we are again concerned about the material being used as the main comparison point and not about the way owners are maintaining their cars.

D : Well maintained and seldom used older model vehicles are not the only ones still on the road.

The best answer choice.

Now as the Editor says : For instance, all the 1960’s and 1970’s cars that I routinely inspect are in surprisingly good condition: they run well, all components work perfectly, and they have very little rust,

Lets take an example : There are 100 Older cars, but only 10 are being used and they are the well maintained ones, and the rest 90 are not taken out.

Whereas the new cars, lets again say there are 100 such cars, all 100 are on road, but only say 80 of them are well maintained, thus whenever the editor inspects the vehicle there is a probability of 0.2 that he may encounter not so well maintained cars, whereas while inspecting the older cars, the probability will be 0 of finding such cars, as they are never being taken out on road.

Thus D fixes this by stating : Well maintained and seldom used older model vehicles are not the only ones still on the road..

All the older make cars are on the road, and thus a fair comparison is being done.

Without D, it could not have been properly concluded and thus this argument depends on the assumption that is put in answer choice D.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 210

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 69

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 01:41
believer700 wrote:
arhumsid wrote:

Experts??

A : The quality of materials used in older model cars is not superior to those used to make other types of vehicles produced in the same time period.

B : Cars built before 1980 are not used for shorter trips than cars built since then.

Short trips or long trips? This really is not out concern, and even if we consider that the older cars are used on longer trips then there are more chances of having rust,wear and tear etc, as it is being run on longer routes. Thus it cannot be considered as an Assumption.

C: Manufacturing techniques used in modern automobile plants are not superior to those used in plants before 1980.

We are concerned about the material being used,talking about Manufacturing techniques is out of Scope.

E : Owners of older model vehicles take particularly good care of those vehicles

Same as C, we are again concerned about the material being used as the main comparison point and not about the way owners are maintaining their cars.

D : Well maintained and seldom used older model vehicles are not the only ones still on the road.

The best answer choice.

Now as the Editor says : For instance, all the 1960’s and 1970’s cars that I routinely inspect are in surprisingly good condition: they run well, all components work perfectly, and they have very little rust,

Lets take an example : There are 100 Older cars, but only 10 are being used and they are the well maintained ones, and the rest 90 are not taken out.

Whereas the new cars, lets again say there are 100 such cars, all 100 are on road, but only say 80 of them are well maintained, thus whenever the editor inspects the vehicle there is a probability of 0.2 that he may encounter not so well maintained cars, whereas while inspecting the older cars, the probability will be 0 of finding such cars, as they are never being taken out on road.

Thus D fixes this by stating : Well maintained and seldom used older model vehicles are not the only ones still on the road..

All the older make cars are on the road, and thus a fair comparison is being done.

Without D, it could not have been properly concluded and thus this argument depends on the assumption that is put in answer choice D.

Its still not clear.
The Option D says that these are not the only ones still on the road. Doesn't that mean the un-maintained older cars are also on the road. Very frequently used older cars are also on the road.

Also if we are assuming that the 10 well maintained cars are the only ones being used. and other 90 are not. aren't we using outside information (our common sense) and not the information on the passage

- Saurabh Prabhakar
MBA@ IE business school. GMAT 690/Q49/V35
Providing guidance for MBA aspirants here: https://www.fiverr.com/sauprabhakar/help-you-navigate-the-mba-application-journey

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 22:13
prabhakar09 wrote:
believer700 wrote:
arhumsid wrote:

Experts??

The best answer choice.

Its still not clear.
The Option D says that these are not the only ones still on the road. Doesn't that mean the un-maintained older cars are also on the road. Very frequently used older cars are also on the road.

Also if we are assuming that the 10 well maintained cars are the only ones being used. and other 90 are not. aren't we using outside information (our common sense) and not the information on the passage

Prabhakar

You are almost there,you just need to read the question onece again to pick answer choice D.
You are right that "Option D says that these are not the only ones still on the road. Doesn't that mean the un-maintained older cars are also on the road. Very frequently used older cars are also on the road. ".

Now read the following part from the question,which says:

For instance, all the 1960’s and 1970’s cars that I routinely inspect are in surprisingly good condition: they run well, all components work perfectly, and they have very little rust, even though many are over 50 years old.

the editor says all the car that means the cars built before 1970 and on the roads are not only the car well maintained but the car that was roughly used also.That is the hidden assumption and that is exactly what D has said.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 101

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 00:55
techiesam wrote:
Prabhakar

You are almost there,you just need to read the question onece again to pick answer choice D.
You are right that "Option D says that these are not the only ones still on the road. Doesn't that mean the un-maintained older cars are also on the road. Very frequently used older cars are also on the road. ".

Now read the following part from the question,which says:

For instance, all the 1960’s and 1970’s cars that I routinely inspect are in surprisingly good condition: they run well, all components work perfectly, and they have very little rust, even though many are over 50 years old.

the editor says all the car that means the cars built before 1970 and on the roads are not only the car well maintained but the car that was roughly used also.That is the hidden assumption and that is exactly what D has said.

Thanks techie. this was quite confusing. but i think i got it now...

- Saurabh Prabhakar
MBA@ IE business school. GMAT 690/Q49/V35
Providing guidance for MBA aspirants here: https://www.fiverr.com/sauprabhakar/help-you-navigate-the-mba-application-journey

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 20:26
atturhari wrote:
Editor of an automobile magazine: The materials used to make older model cars (those built before 1980) are clearly superior to those used to make late model cars (those built since 1980). For instance, all the 1960’s and 1970’s cars that I routinely inspect are in surprisingly good condition: they run well, all components work perfectly, and they have very little rust, even though many are over 50 years old. However, almost all of the late model cars I inspect that are over 10 years old run poorly, have lots of rust, and are barely fit to be on the road.

A) The quality of materials used in older model cars is not superior to those used to make other types of vehicles produced in the same time period.
B) Cars built before 1980 are not used for shorter trips than cars built since then.
C) Manufacturing techniques used in modern automobile plants are not superior to those used in plants before 1980.
D) Well maintained and seldom used older model vehicles are not the only ones still on the road.

my pre-thinked assumption -> the only inspected cars from 60-70 are not only those that were well maintained.
it perfectly fits with D.
if we negate D, then the argument breaks down, and the editor's opinion is no longer credible.

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 159

saurav: suman
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 02:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
atturhari wrote:

is the correct ans
negate option D Well maintained and seldom used older model vehicles are the only ones still on the road.
negated option D makes the conclusion less believable

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 159

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.1
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 09:24
Guys this is a perfectly okay question ad a matter of fact i have seen almost similar construction(Old Homes Question) from GMAT Prep and OG...

In this question he is saying that all the cars i see from old age are good and in well working condition, however when i see cars from the new age they are bad and rusted. He concludes by saying the materials must be better in those early cars.

Now do we know the cars he is inspecting represent the entire car population of 60s and 70s? I guess not It is assumed...

Hence lets attack the answer that says that :- All the cars are still on road and none have gone out of use...

D says the best (collectors item) are not the only ones, each and every car that was made in 60s and 70s are there...

Negate it only the collectors cars are there, hence falls the argument, the author is only inspecting the best...

I hope it helps.....

All Test Prep Companies try to do their best and non will try to make an in appropriate questions... After all these guys are 700 in excess....

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 367 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 05:23
atturhari wrote:

D
OPTION D IS THE CLEAR WINNER
(well may be not so clear !! but none the less the right one !)

Explaination:-
Assumption is an unstated premise. It's an evidence that is not mentioned in words in an argument. But Assumption is used freely to reach a conclusion. So it cannot be wrong. It's a correct hidden invisible premise. If the argument is valid and cogent and strong and if the argument makes use of an assumption, THEN the assumption have to be accepted as true.
For example:- If you are lost in a jungle at night but you know that your home is in the east direction you will say to yourself. Let me wait until morning and then at sunrise i will go wherever direction the sun comes from. (why :- because the unstated premise or assumption is "SUN ALWAYS RISES IN THE EAST"). you don't have to tell that to yourself. You assume that since sun rises in the east , hence that is the direction you should walk to reach your home.

Similarly personalise the argument. How would you react to the editors argument. You will say "Older car are in better condition because they are maintained very well by their owner or such older cars are seldom driven. So they don't have as much wear and tear and looks beautiful." If you stop thinking at this point, then you will pick the attractive wrong answer E. But if you take argument to its logical conclusion. The editor will say to you:- "I thought so too, but the truth is that not all well maintained cars are on the roads, even badly maintained older cars (that have been neglected and abused in most horrific ways while driving) still looks and drive better than the new ones.
CAN YOU REFUTE THE ARGUMENT AFTER THAT. PROBABLY NO.
YOU WILL END UP SAYING:- ahhh.. in that case older cars are really better than new ones.
What line made you changed your mind and give up further arguing with the editor. THAT LINE IS THE ANSWER. THE UNDER STATED PREMISE.THE ASSUMPTION

OPTION E IS A HIGHLY ATTRACTIVE WRONG ANSWER THAT ACTUALLY WEAKENS THE ARGUMENT. DONT PICK E

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 367 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 28

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 13:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
prabhakar09 wrote:
believer700 wrote:
arhumsid wrote:

Experts??

The best answer choice.

Its still not clear.

Some leap of faith is required! if we see only the well maintained old cars now then we cannot compare the whole set of cars to another. Hence D is perfect

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 28

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 19:59
The argument clear concludes that the materials are responsible for the good condition of the cars. But option D is the correct answer because it removes or refutes other reasons for the good condition and hence is the best answer. Is my reasoning correct?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 05:30
longhaul123 wrote:
The argument clear concludes that the materials are responsible for the good condition of the cars. But option D is the correct answer because it removes or refutes other reasons for the good condition and hence is the best answer. Is my reasoning correct?

Hi longhaul123,

The best way to approach assumption questions is to negate each answer. Negating is when you make the answer the opposite of what it says. If the argument falls apart, you have your answer. Let's see below:

A) The quality of materials used in older model cars is not superior to those used to make other types of vehicles produced in the same time period. -- The quality of older models IS superior to those used to make other types of vehicles......... -- Does the argument fall apart? No, because other types of vehicles are out of scope.
B) Cars built before 1980 are not used for shorter trips than cars built since then. -- Cars built before 1980 ARE used for shorter trips -- Not bad. Hold it. Further assumption needed: less ware and tear = better looking = nothing to do with car's material being better. The middle part is our further assumption.
C) Manufacturing techniques used in modern automobile plants are not superior to those used in plants before 1980. -- Manufacturing techniques used in modern automobile plants ARE superior -- This would strengthen the argument. Also, out of scope as we do not care about technique. We care just about the materials
D) Well maintained and seldom used older model vehicles are not the only ones still on the road. -- Welll maintained and seldom used older vehicles ARE the only ones on the road -- If all he inspects are nice cars from this era, how do we know the materials are better? WINNER! This is better than B because it talks about the entire population of cars and directly attacks the argument. The conclusion falls apart with this one, but B makes us assume.
E) Owners of older model vehicles take particularly good care of those vehicles -- Owners of older models vehicles DO NOT take particularly good care of those vehicles This would strengthen the initial argument, hence incorrect

Does this help?

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 56

The materials used to make older model cars (those built before 1980)   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2017, 05:30

The materials used to make older model cars (those built before 1980)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap