Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that [#permalink]
Top Contributor
iDisappear wrote:
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide on a strategy.

(A) conditions, and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, can decide

(B) conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding

(C) conditions and, in using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, deciding

(D) conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide

(E) conditions and, in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, they decide

This question is based on Parallelism and Construction.

In Option A, the phrase “in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses” conveys the meaning that using the set of objective criteria is dependent on the decision about the strategy. The intended meaning is that the executives use the set of objective criteria to decide on a strategy. So, Option A can be ruled out.

The sentence conveys the idea that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions and decide on a strategy. However, in Option B, the two actions done by the executives are “examine a firm’s…” and “use the set of…”. The usage of the participle “deciding” is inappropriate after the verb ‘use’. This verb is usually followed by the infinitive ‘to use’. So, Option B can also be ruled out.

In Option C, the participle ‘deciding’ cannot be parallel to the verb ‘examine’. They should both be in the verb form as they convey the two actions done by the executives. So, Option C can also be ruled out.

Option D has the appropriate construction and idiomatic usage. By putting a modifier - using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses – in the middle, the intended meaning that executives decide upon a strategy using the set of objective criteria is conveyed. Parallelism in the form of the verbs ‘examine’ and ‘decide’ is also maintained in this option. So, D is the best of all the options.

Option E has the modifier “in their use of the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses”, which changes the meaning just as the modifier in Option A does. It is also a wordy option. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

Jayanthi Kumar.
mikemcgarry wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
mikemcgarry: Dear Mike, can you please throw in some expertise why option B is wrong. I understand that option D is correct, and it is an easy pick. But, I am not able to find a strong reason to eliminate B. I knocked it off because it uses the phrase "use X in deciding Y", which means that X plays an indirect part in the process of Y AND if you use the phrase" use X to decide y", which means that X plays a direct role to decide about Y.

2. Another problem with B is that it makes the 2 clauses independent, while the two clauses have a connection between them. (clearly evident in D)

Are these reasons correct? Can you let me know please? Thanks always

Dear bkpolymers1617,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Choice (B) is grammatically and idiomatically correct, but it is not the best answer. The phrase "use X in deciding" and "use X to decide" are virtually identical in meaning: I disagree with your analysis of that difference.

Choice (B) is not the best answer because it's rhetorically inferior. It's clunky. The two independent clauses are grammatically correct, but why have two clauses with the extra pronoun subject? Choice (D) presents a much more elegant construction.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

GMATNinja AjiteshArun GMATGuruNY MartyTargetTestPrep
Hello sir,
it seems that the explanation in highlighted part does not make sense! The highlighted part confused me. Using 'they' after the 'and' is perfectly fine. Can you clarify a bit here, please?
Thanks__
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Using 'they' after the 'and' is perfectly fine. Can you clarify a bit here, please?
Thanks__

The normative model suggests that executives examine
Here, the blue verb is a suggested action and thus is HYPOTHETICAL
examine = an action that MIGHT NOT HAPPEN

COMMA + and + SUBJECT + VERB = independent clause
...conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses
Here, the red verb in the independent clause is in the simple present tense and thus is a GENERAL TRUTH.
use = an action that DEFINITELY HAPPENS

This combination is illogical, implying that a HYPOTHETICAL action (examine) leads to an action that DEFINITELY happens (use).
Eliminate B.

OA: The normative model suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and decide on a strategy.
Here, the actions in green are both SUGGESTED.
As a result, both actions are HYPOTHETICAL.
This meaning is logical, conveying that one hypothetical action (examine) can result in a second hypothetical action (decide).

Originally posted by GMATGuruNY on 13 Jan 2021, 05:49.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on 14 Jan 2021, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
EducationAisle please could you comment on (B)

According to me, we have two ICs out here: "executives examine" & "they decide". These two ICs are rightly connected with ",and". So a few who have mentioned that "examine" is not parallel to "they decide" I don't agree with them.

So what is the issue with (B)? Is it the use of "in deciding"? If so, why?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
EducationAisle please could you comment on (B)

According to me, we have two ICs out here: "executives examine" & "they decide".

Hi Hoozan, I am assuming you mean that the two ICs are: "executives examine" & "they use".

Quote:
These two ICs are rightly connected with ",and".

I would agree; there is no staggering grammatical error in B.

Quote:
So what is the issue with (B)? Is it the use of "in deciding"? If so, why?

There is a larger meaning issue with B: executives examine <something> with the intent to decide <something-else>.

So, parallelism between examine and decide makes most sense; in B however, parallelism is between examine and use.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Much discussion on this one. And Im still not convinced. I see some different explanations from experts. And Im surprised it has 70 % correct answers when most questions with only 30-40 % correct answers have been easier and more straightforward.

To me, A can make perfectly sense.

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that
executives [first] examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions,
and in using the set of objective criteria they derive from these analyses, [they] can [finally] decide on a strategy.

Ive added a couple of adverbs to make my interpretation clear.

Redundancy of the implied pronoun [they] is the only thing I can find for ruling out A. According to Google, both "in using" and "can decide" seem to be idiomatic.

Please?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
egmat, GMATNinja - What is the error analysis for option B ?

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding on a strategy.

-- X suggests that Y examine Z, and Y use something in deciding on a strategy - I do not understand the error here?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
enigma1504 wrote:

The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that executives examine a firm’s external environment and internal conditions, and they use the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses in deciding on a strategy.

-- X suggests that Y examine Z, and Y use something in deciding on a strategy - I do not understand the error here?

My 2 cents on this issue:->
I rejected B because D is present. In other words, I rejected B because B is not elegant as D

Example: Enigma went to school and studied very hard.
Would you say? --> Enigma went to school, and he studied very hard.

I hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
enigma1504 wrote:

HI enigma1504

Refer to previous posts, Experts have already confirmed that 'They' is redundant and a more concise structure wouldn't repeat the same.
In addition, please also take a note that from a meaning point of view, these independent clauses (IC)

IC1: X suggests that Y examine Z
IC2: Y use something in deciding on a strategy

are stand-alone now, and not linked in this structure, that is, IC2 is no more a suggestion of X now.
So in order to maintain the meaning, it is imperative either to use a compound verb or to repeat 'that'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V36
Send PM
Is "comma + and" similar to "and + comma" when it connects two ICs as in this case?
EducationAisle mikemcgarry GMATNinja
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
linuschoudhury wrote:
Is "comma + and" similar to "and + comma" when it connects two ICs as in this case?
EducationAisle mikemcgarry GMATNinja

Hello linuschoudhury,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can help resolve your doubt.

The "comma + conjunction ("and" in this sentence)" construction is used to join independent clauses. However, the "conjunction + comma" construction has no such use. In this sentence, "and" is used to list together the two actions - "examine" and "decide" - that "the normative model of strategic decision-making" suggests for "executives"; the comma following "and" is simply used to set off the modifying phrase "using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses", which modifies the verb "decide".

To understand the usage of the comma on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 327
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V21
Send PM
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
CristianJuarez wrote:

Hi mikemcgarry

Could you please explain me the modifier in choice D? conditions and, using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, decide

Why can we say with certainty that it modifies executives? In this case, the ING modifier is not showing a result of a previous clause and is not touching executives (as when we say something like: "using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses, executives blah blah blah").

Regards,
Cristián

Hello Cristián CristianJuarez,

I will be glad to help you out with this this one. :-)

The modifier using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses actually modifies the action decide that appears after this modifier.

How do the executives decide on a strategy? They do so by using the set of objective criteria derived from these analyses.

The modifier using the set... also makes sense with the doer of the modified action decide - executives.

The context and the structure of the sentence are such that the meaning conveyed by Choice D is clear.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi egmat, mikemcgarry, AjiteshArun ,

Can you please help me to clear few doubts?

1. According to choice D, executives do two things
a. they examine. b. they decide.

However , as per my understanding of the sentence, the executives examine and then use that info to decide.
That is verb 'examine' and 'decide' cannot run parallel rather examination leads to decision.
and that's why D doesn't seem the best choice to me as per meaning.

2. Can we use additional info to show sequencing and make verbs parallel?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
The normative model of strategic decision-making suggests that [#permalink]
Kudos