GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 06:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

The percentage of the labor force that is unemployed has dropped sharp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
The percentage of the labor force that is unemployed has dropped sharp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 08:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (00:56) correct 44% (01:08) wrong based on 257 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 21: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The percentage of the labor force that is unemployed has dropped sharply this month, even though it may be only temporarily.

(A) even though it may be only temporarily

(B) but it may be temporary only

(C) but the drop may be only temporary

(D) even though the drop may only be temporary

(E) but such a drop may only be a temporary one

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

The few, the fearless !

Director
Director
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The percentage of the labor force that is unemployed has dropped sharp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 08:24
sudarshan22 wrote:

The percentage of the labor force that is unemployed has dropped sharply this month, even though it may be only temporarily.

(A) even though it may be only temporarily -Redundancy

(B) but it may be temporary only - What is the antecedent for pronoun "it"?

(C) but the drop may be only temporary - Correct - Concise and conveys the meaning clearly.

(D) even though the drop may only be temporary -Redundancy

(E) but such a drop may only be a temporary one - Wordy

IMO - C

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.87
The percentage of the labor force that is unemployed has dropped sharp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 03:40

(A) even though it may be only temporarily - ' it ' must refer to percentage drop of labor , but refers only to percentage of labor

(B) but it may be temporary only - same problem , it - does not refer to percentage drop of labor

(C) but the drop may be only temporary - 'the drop ' refers to percentage drop we were taking before in the sentence, so keep it

(D) even though the drop may only be temporary - "even though" is not appropriate in this case

(E) but such a drop may only be a temporary one - but Such a drop is specific and talking about the percentage with drop ,and when compared to may be only vs may only be , may be only sounds awkward .

Even though VS But :
Even though is used to show a paradox which is not the current circumstance
But can be used to express a simple contrast or a paradox
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Operations (Consulting)
Re: The percentage of the labor force that is unemployed has dropped sharp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 05:55
IMO C.
No clear reason to eliminate C
A, B have it, which refers nothing so eliminate it.
D, E are wordy and awkward
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 09:37
Official Explanation :

In choices A and B, the pronoun it has no noun referent and must be replaced by a noun such as drop. That noun should be modified by an adjective (temporary), not an adverb (temporarily) .

In choices A and D, even though misstates the relationship between ideas by suggesting that unemployment dropped sharply despite the possibility that the drop is temporary:, but suggests nothing more than a contrast between a recent drop and possible future reversal.

In choices B, D, and E, only is separated from the adjective it modifies; in the correct answer only should (or must) immediately precede temporary. The phrase such a drop in E wrongly implies that this drop is but one example of a whole class of similar events being discussed.

Choice C is the best answer.

The few, the fearless !

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.87

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2018, 21:29
GMATNinja

Can you let me know Why option E is wrong . I still want to go with Option E for this Question.

Please correct me .

Regards,
Bharathi
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 08:38
baru wrote:
GMATNinja

Can you let me know Why option E is wrong . I still want to go with Option E for this Question.

Please correct me .

Regards,
Bharathi

Hello Bharathi,

Allow me to add some insight here and see if it makes sense.

It is needless to say "Such a drop" as mentioned in option E, because we are not really comparing different types of drops in percentage.

For example, if the percentage dropped sharply this month as compared to mildly in the last 2 months (an info. that we aren't really provided with), then I believe it would be alright to say "such a drop".

Another, possibly more convincing and general explanation, would be that we always use "SO + Adverb/Adjective" and "SUCH + Noun".
E.g. 1) She baked the cake so carefully.
2) She baked such a delicious cake.

In our case, option E only mentions "such a drop" - your choice would make a stronger case if it was "such a sharp drop". However, it would still be better to go for concision over wordiness. :)

Another reason to reject E is "redundancy": Notice that it mentions "such a drop" and then "temporary one". You don't need "one" when you are already mentioning "the drop" earlier.

I hope this makes sense.

We learn permanently when we teach,
We grow infinitely when we share.

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 22:40
daagh AjiteshArun
Can you please brief why D and E is wrong ?
I rejected because may be only sounded more correct than may only be
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 04:30
teaserbae wrote:
daagh AjiteshArun
Can you please brief why D and E is wrong ?
I rejected because may be only sounded more correct than may only be
You're right: may only be is a problem. We need the only to more clearly modify temporary. A similar example:

He may only be the one who can solve the department's problems.
vs.
He may be the only one who can solve the department's problems.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 06:01
Top Contributor
I think in D and E, the meaning is subtly changing due to the incongruous placement of the limiting adverb 'only'. When we say only temporary, the focus is solely on temporariness. On the contrary, by shifting the adverb 'only' before 'be' the focus now tilts on 'being' and suggests that the drop can only 'be temporary' and not any another possibility such as extended, long-term etc.

Even though this shift of focus is too fine to gauze, we have to respect it because GMT has chosen to test it.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The percentage of the labor force that is unemployed has dropped sharp &nbs [#permalink] 08 Dec 2018, 06:01

The percentage of the labor force that is unemployed has dropped sharp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap