GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 19:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Thirty years ago, the town of Flatsburg had one of the highest crime..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
V
Thirty years ago, the town of Flatsburg had one of the highest crime..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 22:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:34) correct 46% (01:25) wrong based on 179 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Thirty years ago, the town of Flatsburg had one of the highest crime rates in the county. Since then, the crime rate has dropped dramatically, and Flatsburg now has one of the lowest crime rates in the county. Economists argue that this precipitous decline is the result of new factories that opened about thirty years ago in Flatsburg. These factories hired many local citizens and helped reduce the unemployment rate in Flatsburg by over 65 percent.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the economists' explanation?

A) Many other towns in the county with low crime rates also have low unemployment rates.

B) The size of the police department in Flatsburg and the responsibility of its officers has remained relatively constant for the past thirty years.

C) Most of the jobs offered by the new factories pay significantly more than the minimum wage.

D) Most of the crimes committed by citizens of Flatsburg occur in the evening.

E) Over the past thirty years, the crime rate increased in most other towns in the county.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Thirty years ago, the town of Flatsburg had one of the highest crime..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 22:57
The answer should be A. It directly links higher crime rate to higher unemployment rate and strengthens the economist's conclusion.

B and C are irrelevant
D weakens it
E is out of scope

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Thirty years ago, the town of Flatsburg had one of the highest crime..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 23:28
The only doubt I have is that is it safe to confirm by analogy that because it happened in other towns it will happen in Town F.(option A)
I have found some weakener questions where this logic turns out to be wrong

Manager
Manager
B
GRE 1: Q158 V143
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 23:41
saswatd wrote:
The answer should be A. It directly links higher crime rate to higher unemployment rate and strengthens the economist's conclusion.

B and C are irrelevant
D weakens it
E is out of scope

Hi ,

B is not irrelevant. Think in this way if the size or change in Police department is made then it might be possible that crime rate is reduced because of the change.B says it's constant so it strengthen the argument by saying that it because of factories crime rates is brought down
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 07:51
Answer is A.

If population will have job..they will gate wage(money) . They can full fill his/her requirements . No need to make crime for money.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 01:19
The correct answer should be B.

This is a causality-strengthen type.

In this type the correct answer will do:
1) Show when the cause occurs, the effect occur
2) Show when the cause does not occur, the effect doesnot occur
3) Eliminate the possibility that the stated relationship is reversed
4) Show that the data used to make the causal statement are accurate
5) Eliminate any alternate causes for the stated effect.

In B, this option eliminate the cause that the crime rate decline because there are more police officer. (5)
As my own research, a majority of hard questions about causality will test (5) and (3).
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 22:58
IMO
B seems more like an assumption than an explanation.
The argument relies on the assumption that the police force remained constant, but it does not explain the result as much as an evidence supporting the correlation (between low crime rate & low unemployment rate) does.
Please suggest.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 01:09
I am not satisfied with the option B it only tells that police force remained constant all time ( this is just another factor that could have been possible for the change , there are many other factors as well, institution of strict punishment for crimes ,, and the main point is that it does not strengthen the fact that it is related to unemployment or unemployment is the main cause of crimes ..
Again - in summary, it just states that out of all other factors that could be possible for decline in crime rates X( police force increased vigilance ) is not the reason...so it must be the y(unemployment decline in the town) but what about other factors P (STRICT LAWS) Q ( CAMERAS INSTITUTED AT EVERY STREET OPERATED 24/7) just giving the idea please explain if somehow my reasoning is wrong.@GMATNinja@nightblade354
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 16:04
Seems like the tie breaker is A and B.

Structure:
Premise 1: F has lower crime rate than 30 years ago.
Premise 2: F opened a new factory that lowers the unemployment rate.
Conclusion: Low employment rate causes lower crime rate.
Prephrase: other factors may have caused the crime rate to drop - say increased police force? -> Answer B is correct.

Answer A: it is wrong because "Many other towns in the county with low crime rates also have low unemployment rates" indicates low crime rate is a given premise in these towns and low unemployment rate is the result. This is reversed logic, or at least unclear in which is the cause and which is the effect.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Thirty years ago, the town of Flatsburg had one of the highest crime..   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2019, 16:04

Thirty years ago, the town of Flatsburg had one of the highest crime..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics