GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 09:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

#Top150 CR: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 CR: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2015, 09:30
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:27) correct 58% (01:59) wrong based on 282 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.

The argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, carry other infections for which reliable screening tests are routinely performed.

B. Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, develop the disease themselves at any point.

C. The estimate of the number of donors who would be disqualified by tests for NANB hepatitis is an underestimate.

D. The incidence of NANB hepatitis is lower among the potential blood donors than it is in the population at large.

E. The donors who will still supply NANB-contaminated blood will donate blood at the average frequency for all donors
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 CR: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2015, 14:24
A it is.
Negate A: Donors carrying NANB hepatitis, in a large percentage of cases, carry other infections for which reliable screening tests are routinely performed.
So, now NANB donors have other other infections and we have reasons to believe that they will be caught by some other test(s). Definitely this will reduce the number, and thus, percentage of NANB donors.

Answer: A.
Manager
Manager
Re: #Top150 CR: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2015, 01:15
conclusion says 10% of overall sample still carrying NANB
why because tests miss 2/3 of NANB.

we can make conclusion false. What if these tests are rejecting donors based on some other diseases.
hence assumption will be tests are rejecting donors only on NANB results. A is the answer

Please correct me if i am missing something
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 08:24
Hi,
I couldn't relate the 10% of actual donors with the 66% of Prospective donors who were passed in the new screening test.
Can you kindly explain how A is correct
Director
Director
D

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 10:24
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.

A. Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, carry other infections for which reliable screening tests are routinely performed. -Correct. If these people have other diseases that are easily identifiable then they will be barred from blood donation.

B. Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, develop the disease themselves at any point. -Whether they develop the diseases is out of scope because having NANB virus will make them ineligible for blood donation, if caught in the test.

C. The estimate of the number of donors who would be disqualified by tests for NANB hepatitis is an underestimate. -Let it be an underestimation for we know 10% infected people will donate blood.

D. The incidence of NANB hepatitis is lower among the potential blood donors than it is in the population at large. -Out of scope

E. The donors who will still supply NANB-contaminated blood will donate blood at the average frequency for all donors -Still it doesn't clear whether 10% will donate or not.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Programming (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 13:02
"Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors,
they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis.
"

Isn't the correct answer choice attacking the given premise. we are given that 2/3rd will be missed. How can we attack the given fact in the argument.

A. Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, carry other infections for which reliable screening tests are routinely performed.

if this is true, our premise doesn't stand.

I was actually hoping to see the link between donors and actual donors.

If you like the post, please award me Kudos!! It motivates me

Expert Post
examPAL Representative
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 14:43
Leo8 wrote:
"Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors,
they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis.
"

Isn't the correct answer choice attacking the given premise. we are given that 2/3rd will be missed. How can we attack the given fact in the argument.

if this is true, our premise doesn't stand.

I was actually hoping to see the link between donors and actual donors.

Leo8 it doesn't contradict our premise. We are asked which answer strengthens the premise that 2/3 of NANB donors will not be disqualified. One thing that is necessary for this is that those 2/3 won't be disqualified for any other reason - which is exactly what A tells us.
Is this clear, or still confusing? Why do you think the premise doesn't stand?

Dave Green
Senior tutor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course
Image[/url]

Expert Post
examPAL Representative
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 15:01
souvik101990 wrote:

B. Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, develop the disease themselves at any point.

C. The estimate of the number of donors who would be disqualified by tests for NANB hepatitis is an underestimate.

D. The incidence of NANB hepatitis is lower among the potential blood donors than it is in the population at large.

E. The donors who will still supply NANB-contaminated blood will donate blood at the average frequency for all donors

Logically, we are given an assumption (the test will miss 2/3 of NANB donors) and a conclusion (2/3 of NANB donors, or 10% of all donors, will not be disqualified). But notice this assumes those infected won't be disqualified for any OTHER reason than NANB either - which is what A suggests.

By process of elimination:
A - Yes! this means if they aren't detected for NANb, they won't be detected for anything else.
B - irrelevant
C - this contradicts the argument, it doesn't underline it
D - not relevant: the stats we were given are about the potential donors, not the population at large
E - we don't know anything about the average frequency of donors, so this is just a distraction.

Dave Green
Senior tutor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course
Image[/url]

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.23
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 12:43
I couldnt understand the conclusion correctly. please explain
Intern
Intern
B
#Top150 CR: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 08:31
hi sahilsnpt,

the way i understood this argument is,
Considering sample size of 60 people who are donating blood.
among whom 5% disqualified because they have NAMB in their blood i.e. 3 are disqualified.
Further argument says, screening misses 2/3rd means it has caught 1/3rd of NAMB cases (1/3*x=3)
i.e. Total NAMB cases are 9 and 6 are missed cases.

6 are the people who have passed the screening despite having NAMB.
So conclusion correctly says 10% of 60(Total) i.e 6 will supply contaminated blood.

We want to break this conclusion by negating options.
option A on negation says- Donors carrying NANB hepatitis carry other infections for which reliable screening tests are routinely performed.
Means out of 6 who managed to get through new screening will fail some other screening like of other blood test criteria and that number 10% (say 6) will be reduced.
And few people despite having NAMB and having passed NAMB screening will go ahead with donation.
As this reasoning breaks conclusion. It must be the right choice.
#Top150 CR: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2018, 08:31

#Top150 CR: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap