Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [166]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [47]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [7]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [5]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: From 2000 to 2010, beverage containers accounted for a steadily decrea [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO A.

A. CORRECT. If plastic bottles are ditched in favor of some other material then less tonnage of plastic garbage will be available.
B. INCORRECT. If this is true then it should have been true in past also and hence doesn't explain why there is a sudden drop in plastic garbage.
C. IRRELEVANT. We are concerned with beverage cans.
D. INCORRECT. Same argument as B plus people buying more plastic doesn't automatically prove that they are recycling more.
E. INCORRECT. % increase in no of plastic < % increase in no of Al doesn't prove that % change weight of P < % change in weight of Al recycled.

Originally posted by deep14 on 30 May 2017, 22:53.
Last edited by deep14 on 31 May 2017, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: From 2000 to 2010, beverage containers accounted for a steadily decrea [#permalink]
Phew this one was a tough one .. My take on this one :

Premise :

1) % of beverage containers in domestic waste has been decreasing over a period from 2000 to 2010. Recycling was responsible for this trend.
2) Aluminum recycling was more widely practiced in this period than plastic recycling,

Conclusion :

The total weight of plastic bottles in Brazil’s domestic garbage declined by a greater percentage during this time than the total weight of aluminum cans in Brazil’s domestic garbage.

This is a paradox question.

Pre-think : We need to find out why the total weight of plastic bottles in garbage declined by a greater % than the decline in total weight of aluminum cans in spite of greater recycling of aluminum cans. Please note that the conclusion compares % decline with decline in total weight. The total decline in weight of aluminum cans has to be more than the total decline in weight of plastic bottles. But if the % of decline in plastic is more , the decline could be because the sample space of plastic cans is smaller and the qty hence recycled is a greater % of this smaller qty.

POE :

a) This options conveys that the sample space of plastic is small because of a higher qty of glass bottles - hold
b) Are we concerned about the weight of plastic vs aluminum cans ? - out
c) We are not concerned about the fraction of beverage cans among plastic or glass bottles - out
d) How does the frequency of purchase matter ? Moreover we still cannot deduce that the sample space of plastic is smaller - out
e) Are we concerned with the number or weight ? - Out

Only option A seems feasible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
If the plastic cans are heavier than the aluminium cans, doesn't that signify the fact that even when recycling of aluminium cans was more widely practiced that recycling of of plastic cans, the smaller percentage of plastic cans being recycled accounted for the greater reduction in the weight? How does the fact that everything in the question is in percentages lead to us eliminating option B as an option choice?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [1]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
PurviGupta1998 wrote:
If the plastic cans are heavier than the aluminium cans, doesn't that signify the fact that even when recycling of aluminium cans was more widely practiced that recycling of of plastic cans, the smaller percentage of plastic cans being recycled accounted for the greater reduction in the weight? How does the fact that everything in the question is in percentages lead to us eliminating option B as an option choice?

Yes,I too agree with option -B

Say for example,weight of one plastic bottle =2kg

Weight of one aluminum bottle/can =1 kg

Since aluminum recycling is more popular,let us assume more aluminum cans are reduced from garbage.

If 150 aluminum cans are reduced and 100 plastic cans are reduced from garbage then weight of aluminum reduced would be 150kg,whereas weight of plastic reduced would be 200kg (100*2)

Kindly help us out VeritasKarishma & GMATNinja

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Ashokshiva wrote:
PurviGupta1998 wrote:

Since aluminum recycling is more popular,let us assume more aluminum cans are reduced from garbage.

If 150 aluminum cans are reduced and 100 plastic cans are reduced from garbage then weight of aluminum reduced would be 150kg,whereas weight of plastic reduced would be 200kg (100*2)

Thanks

As I explained in my solution above, we do not know how popularity is measured. What do you mean when you say:
"Aluminium recycling was more widely practiced than plastic recycling."

Case 1: Does it mean that for every 10 Alu cans sold, 6 come back for recycling while for every 10 plastic bottles, only 4 come back?
Case 2: Or does it mean for every 10 kg of Alu sold, 6 kg comes back while for every 10 kg of plastic sold, only 4 kg comes back?

In any case, more Alu is getting recycled so less is going into the garbage.

But we do know that in 1000 kg of garbage, where we used to have 50 kg of Alu before, we now have only 40 kg but 50 kg of plastic has come down to 20 kg of plastic.

How come, in the garbage, the percentage of plastic is has reduced even more than the percentage of Alu? Perhaps because less plastic is being used nowadays. So though people are not very keen on recycling it (not as much as recycling alu), they are anyway using very less of it so little is going to find its way in the trash. Hence (A) is correct.

In (B), we do not know how we measure "Aluminium recycling was more widely practiced than plastic recycling."
If it is case 1, then it is possible that difference in weight of every unit accounts for the greater reduction in plastic weight. If it is case 2, then the greater reduction in plastic weight is not explained. Hence, this is not a good explanation of the discrepancy.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ashokshiva wrote:
PurviGupta1998 wrote:

Thanks

Karishma covered this nicely as always, but I'll toss in my two cents again in case it helps somebody to hear the same ideas in a different voice.

We are not concerned with the TOTAL reduction (kg) of plastic or aluminum. We are concerned with percent decrease within each group (aluminum and plastic).

Let's say we start with 1000 aluminum cans and 1000 plastic bottles. Using the numbers in your example, we decrease by 150 aluminum cans and 100 plastic bottles. So aluminum goes from 1000kg to 850kg (15% reduction in weight). Plastic goes from 2000kg to 1800kg (10% reduction in weight). So the weight of the aluminum declines by a greater percentage in that case.

Remember, we are trying to explain why, "the total weight of plastic bottles in Brazil’s domestic garbage declined by a greater percentage during this time than the total weight of aluminum cans in Brazil’s domestic garbage."

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
From 2000 to 2010, beverage containers accounted for a steadily decrea [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
At first glance, this might seem to be out of scope, since the passage doesn't mention glass at all. But (A) is basically telling us that recycling might not be the only factor reducing the amount of aluminum in Brazil's garbage. If consumers increasingly favored glass beverage containers over plastic ones, that would reduce the number of plastic beverage bottles used by Brazilians and thus reduce the weight of plastic in Brazil's garbage.

In other words, plastic recycling may not have significantly reduced the weight of plastic in Brazil's garbage, but the change in Brazilians' preferences may have significantly reduced the weight of plastic in Brazil's garbage. This potentially explains why the percent decrease in weight was higher for plastic bottles than for aluminum cans, so let's hang on to choice (A).

I'm not very convinced with the explanation of GMATNinja. The explanation uses the assumption that the number of the plastic beverage bottles used by Brazilians are equivalent with the weight of plastic in garbage "that would reduce the number of plastic beverage bottles used by Brazilians and thus reduce the weight of plastic in Brazil's garbage"

This assumption is the same with the assumption that is implied in the answer choice E which mention about the number of plastic bottles. E implies that since the number of bottles is lower for plastics than for aluminium, the weight of plastic bottles is also lower. Hence, it's might happen that % of decrease of plastics is higher but the absolute decrease of weight of plastics is lower than aluminium.

If both use the same assumption, why would A be correct and E would be incorrect?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NeoNguyen1989 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
At first glance, this might seem to be out of scope, since the passage doesn't mention glass at all. But (A) is basically telling us that recycling might not be the only factor reducing the amount of aluminum in Brazil's garbage. If consumers increasingly favored glass beverage containers over plastic ones, that would reduce the number of plastic beverage bottles used by Brazilians and thus reduce the weight of plastic in Brazil's garbage.

In other words, plastic recycling may not have significantly reduced the weight of plastic in Brazil's garbage, but the change in Brazilians' preferences may have significantly reduced the weight of plastic in Brazil's garbage. This potentially explains why the percent decrease in weight was higher for plastic bottles than for aluminum cans, so let's hang on to choice (A).

I'm not very convinced with the explanation of GMATNinja. The explanation uses the assumption that the number of the plastic beverage bottles used by Brazilians are equivalent with the weight of plastic in garbage "that would reduce the number of plastic beverage bottles used by Brazilians and thus reduce the weight of plastic in Brazil's garbage"

This assumption is the same with the assumption that is implied in the answer choice E which mention about the number of plastic bottles. E implies that since the number of bottles is lower for plastics than for aluminum, the weight of plastic bottles is also lower. Hence, it's might happen that % of decrease of plastics is higher but the absolute decrease of weight of plastics is lower than aluminum.

If both use the same assumption, why would A be correct and E would be incorrect?

It’s important to remember the “apparent discrepancy” that we’re trying to explain. As we said in our previous post, the discrepancy is that while aluminum recycling was more widely practiced than plastic recycling from 2000-2010, “the total weight of plastic bottles in Brazil’s domestic garbage declined by a greater percentage during this time than the total weight of aluminum cans in Brazil’s domestic garbage."

So, the discrepancy is NOT related to the absolute weight of either plastic or aluminum. In fact, the passage gives us no information on the absolute weight of these two materials. Rather, the discrepancy is concerned with why the total weight of plastic recycled declines by a greater percentage than the total weight of aluminum recycled.

(E) gives us no information to explain that discrepancy, nor does it give any information regarding how things changed over the course of the decade. Therefore, we can eliminate it.

On the other hand, (A) simply requires that we assume that the number of plastic bottles recycled roughly correlates with the weight of plastic bottles recycled. In the absence of information to the contrary, this is a totally reasonable assumption. For that reason, (A) is correct.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Understood the answers provided by GMATNinja and VeritasKarishma
my query is more conceptual. As mentioned in the explanation by GMATNinja, At first glance, this might seem to be out of scope, since the passage doesn't mention glass at all, i rejected Option A citing it's out of scope of the passage. So my query here is for all such CR questions should we not restrict the thoughts to what is clearly mentioned in the passage or anything under the Sun can be considered as a reason?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SuyashSri wrote:
my query is more conceptual. As mentioned in the explanation by GMATNinja, At first glance, this might seem to be out of scope, since the passage doesn't mention glass at all, i rejected Option A citing it's out of scope of the passage. So my query here is for all such CR questions should we not restrict the thoughts to what is clearly mentioned in the passage or anything under the Sun can be considered as a reason?

Yes, option (A) mentions 'glass' but note that it mentions 'plastic' too and that is relevant. It tells you that plastic is increasingly being replaced by glass. This implies that consumption of plastic is reducing. What exactly it is being replaced by, whether glass or wood or something else is of course irrelevant to our argument.
Also, strengthen/weaken/explain the paradox questions need new information from the correct option. So the correct option may have things that are not mentioned in the passage but are relevant to some aspect that is mentioned.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
SuyashSri wrote:

During my practice with GMAT OG CRs, I realized that as far as option has some impact with the conclusion, irrespective of whether it is given in the argument or anything under the sun, we need to give thought to accept or reject the option.
When I read A.
(A) Consumers increasingly favored glass beverage containers over plastic ones.

I didn't focus on glass beverage containers but my eyes focused on plastic ones. I asked a question can there be some relation with the conclusion. I was not clear in 1st reading but I got one point that somehow plastic is getting reduced because of external factor. I kept on hold.
Another doubt came in mind: Is this information between the said period or could it be before 2000 ? Then I noticed the word " increasingly" . It seems recently something is reducing plastic.
I kept on hold in my first reading . I was not sure of this answer. But after reading other options and rejecting other shortlist options , I could not argue more to reject A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Ashokshiva wrote:
PurviGupta1998 wrote:

Thanks

Karishma covered this nicely as always, but I'll toss in my two cents again in case it helps somebody to hear the same ideas in a different voice.

We are not concerned with the TOTAL reduction (kg) of plastic or aluminum. We are concerned with percent decrease within each group (aluminum and plastic).

Let's say we start with 1000 aluminum cans and 1000 plastic bottles. Using the numbers in your example, we decrease by 150 aluminum cans and 100 plastic bottles. So aluminum goes from 1000kg to 850kg (15% reduction in weight). Plastic goes from 2000kg to 1800kg (10% reduction in weight). So the weight of the aluminum declines by a greater percentage in that case.

Remember, we are trying to explain why, "the total weight of plastic bottles in Brazil’s domestic garbage declined by a greater percentage during this time than the total weight of aluminum cans in Brazil’s domestic garbage."

I hope that helps!

HI, In your example, if we take weight of aluminium cans garbage and plastic cans garbage before recycling as 1000kgs each. Now suppose aluminium cans weigh 1kg and plastic cans weigh 50kgs. Now after recycling, we were able to reduce 100 cans , so total weight of aluminium cans garbage will become 900kgs (10% reduction). For plastic cans, the number reduced by 10 cans, so total weight of plastic cans will now become 500kg (50% reduction in weight). Hence, it helps explain the discrepancy. Can you tell me where I am going wrong? I know this is an unofficial question and I took this question with a grain of salt.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Ashokshiva wrote:

Thanks

I hope that helps!

HI, In your example, if we take weight of aluminium cans garbage and plastic cans garbage before recycling as 1000kgs each. Now suppose aluminium cans weigh 1kg and plastic cans weigh 50kgs. Now after recycling, we were able to reduce 100 cans , so total weight of aluminium cans garbage will become 900kgs (10% reduction). For plastic cans, the number reduced by 10 cans, so total weight of plastic cans will now become 500kg (50% reduction in weight). Hence, it helps explain the discrepancy. Can you tell me where I am going wrong? I know this is an unofficial question and I took this question with a grain of salt.

As you point out in your example, there are instances in which (B) could help explain the discrepancy. But as we point out in our example, there are instances in which (B) would not help explain the discrepancy.

Each of these cases are equally likely, so (B) really does little to explain the discrepancy. For that reason, we can eliminate it.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
In above question, OA is option A. I had marked B while solving. I understand that it is possible that the weight of B won't be sufficiently higher than A to offset the impact of the reduction in the quantity of waste generated. i.e % diff in weight of aluminium and plastic is 10% but reduction in waste generated is 20% then it is possible that % reduction in aluminum waste is higher than plastic even though weight is higher. Is this understanding correct

However, won't the same kind of logic be applied to option AEarlier weight of aluminum is 100kg, recycled 20 kgs thus reduction is 20%Earlier weight of plastic is 100 kg, recycled is 5 kgs and replaced with glass is 8kgs thus left is 87kg which is 13% reduction, thus A does not account for discrepany.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts