Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:26 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [54]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30816 [11]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32048 [6]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Two years ago Chapter Internet, the only internet provider in the coun [#permalink]
Kudos
Assuming this is a assumption question I am against the OA here...B is mentioned in the passage.E isnt.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 726 [3]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Two years ago Chapter Internet, the only internet provider in the coun [#permalink]
Kudos
nightblade354 GMATNinja gmat1393 chetan2u

Can you take a look at this question? It is pretty close between B and E

- If I negate option E, the arguments fails completely

- If I negate Option B
"The quality of a company’s customer service does not affect some of the voters for the Worst Business of the Year award."
The argument still stands, because customer service doesn't affect some voters but it does affect some voters. The word "Some" is key in option B.

Hence answer should be Option E.
Let me know your thoughts
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
The OA as I see has changed from B to E...

B I think is incorrect because
The quality of a company’s customer service affects some of the voters for the Worst Business of the Year award. is a paraphrase of the company did nothing to address its poor customer service, which explains why Chapter won the Worst Business of the Year award again last year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Two years ago Chapter Internet, the only internet provider in the country to offer high-speed internet access, handily won the Worst Business of the Year award, earning three times as many votes as the company that came in second. Last year Chapter made technological improvements which doubled the average speed of its customers’ internet service. However, the company did nothing to address its poor customer service, which explains why Chapter won the Worst Business of the Year award again last year.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A) In the voting for last year’s Worst Business of the Year award, Chapter earned at least three times as many votes as did the second-most hated company.

B) The quality of a company’s customer service affects some of the voters for the Worst Business of the Year award.

C) Internet providers are not the only businesses in the running for the Worst Business of the Year award.

D) If Chapter did not hold a monopoly in the high-speed internet industry, market forces would compel it to provide better customer service.

E) Voters for the Worst Business of the Year award are not influenced by previous years’ results.

Explanation: Let us assume that "Voters for the Worst Business of the Year award ARE influenced by previous years’ results". In that case their votes would be an outcome of previous year's results rather than poor customer service. While coming to the conclusion that the award was due to poor customer services, author would have assumed that "Voters for the Worst Business of the Year award ARE NOT influenced by previous years’ results". I prefer E.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32048 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Two years ago Chapter Internet, the only internet provider in the coun [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi, I think you will have to look into your logic of B.. you are absolutely correct with negation part but somehow have applied it erroneously.

Para argues.. poor customer service leads to the award ...
1) what you are assuming it as " the POOR quality of customer service effects some of the voters", that is these voters have suffered due to the quality.
2) But the poor word is not there. So the choice actually means that " the quality of service affects the voters decision in the way he votes.
So if the 2nd is the case, negation means " none of the voter get influenced by quality of service while they cast their votes. So if they are not influenced by the quality , the connection between customer service and voting is broken and argument falls flat..

If it meant the case 1, the wordings would have been a bit different.

Finally we may disagree but let the OA remain what the institute has to say because you are reading it wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I choose E
Here is my thought:
poor customer service → the only reason why Chapter won the worst company this year
If the voters are influenced by the previous year's result, they will be more likely to vote for Chapter. It is the stereotype makes the company worst company, not the customer service.
Am I thinking too much?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Kudos
danowe wrote:
I choose E
Here is my thought:
poor customer service → the only reason why Chapter won the worst company this year
If the voters are influenced by the previous year's result, they will be more likely to vote for Chapter. It is the stereotype makes the company worst company, not the customer service.
Am I thinking too much?

This information is from Ron's videos: If you have difficulty in negating the argument use IT IS NOT TRUE THAT BEFORE THE ARGUMENT

b. The quality of a company’s customer service affects some of the voters for the Worst Business of the Year award
nEGATION
it is not true that The quality of a company’s customer service affects some of the voters for the Worst Business of the Year award
means
The quality of a company’s customer service affects none of the voters for the Worst Business of the Year award- clearly destroys the conclusion

e.Voters for the Worst Business of the Year award are not influenced by previous years’ results.
negation - it is not true that Voters for the Worst Business of the Year award are not influenced by previous years’ results.
means Voters for the Worst Business of the Year award are influenced by previous years’ results- we don ot have information about many previous years but just about 1 year based on which the conclusion about second year is made. E is wrong

Hope it helps!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Two years ago Chapter Internet, the only internet provider in the country to offer high-speed internet access, handily won the Worst Business of the Year award, earning three times as many votes as the company that came in second. Last year Chapter made technological improvements which doubled the average speed of its customers’ internet service. However, the company did nothing to address its poor customer service, which explains why Chapter won the Worst Business of the Year award again last year.

Type-assumption
Conclusion- However, the company did nothing to address its poor customer service, which explains why Chapter won the Worst Business of the Year award again last year.
The company did nothing to address its poor customer service---> Chapter Internet won the Worst business of the year again last year

A) In the voting for last year’s Worst Business of the Year award, Chapter earned at least three times as many votes as did the second-most hated company.- incorrect- this even on negation has no effect on conclusion

B) The quality of a company’s customer service affects some of the voters for the Worst Business of the Year award.

C) Internet providers are not the only businesses in the running for the Worst Business of the Year award.- incorrect,

D) If Chapter did not hold a monopoly in the high-speed internet industry, market forces would compel it to provide better customer service.- incorrect,

E) Voters for the Worst Business of the Year award are not influenced by previous years’ results.

I was down to options B and E and later chose option E.
B on negation - The quality of a company’s customer service affects none of the voters for the Worst Business of the Year award.

E on negation - Voters for the Worst Business of the Year award are influenced by previous years’ results.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , other experts - please enlighten
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
E is too strong to be a necessary assumption. If we negate it, all it says is that voters ARE INFLUENCED. It doesn't say how they end up voting or why they make that choice. Something can be a factor without overruling another explanation. For instance, if I buy three new fancy cars and go bankrupt, someone might (reasonably) conclude that buying the cars led to my bankruptcies. They aren't assuming that I had no other new financial burdens, just that no other factors were significant enough to have triggered my bankruptcy. To be necessary, E would need to say something along the lines of "Most voters don't just vote for the same business as last year, regardless of its current practices."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
E is too strong to be a necessary assumption. If we negate it, all it says is that voters ARE INFLUENCED. It doesn't say how they end up voting or why they make that choice. Something can be a factor without overruling another explanation. For instance, if I buy three new fancy cars and go bankrupt, someone might (reasonably) conclude that buying the cars led to my bankruptcies. They aren't assuming that I had no other new financial burdens, just that no other factors were significant enough to have triggered my bankruptcy. To be necessary, E would need to say something along the lines of "Most voters don't just vote for the same business as last year, regardless of its current practices."

Hi Dmitry,
In case of B, how do we assume that customer service for 'some' of the voters was impactful or the reason for winning the Worst business of the year award? Doesn't 'some' bring in ambiguity with it?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Two years ago Chapter Internet, the only internet provider in the coun [#permalink]
Kudos