Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:31 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Schools: UCLA MSBA "23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Re: UCLA Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Requesting a profile review

*Background*

Overview:
I’m looking to bring a strong sense of purpose in my career by transitioning fully to social impact. I’ve always wanted to go into social impact full-time, but I needed to build a niche and valuable skillset before doing so. Regarding marketable skills, I feel ready now, but I need an MBA to help me transition.

Work experience:
I'm currently a Product Manager in Internet Business in a Multinational Telecommunications company. I have 5.5 years of full-time experience, all in Telecommunications product management. The firm I work for is one of the top ones in my country, Bangladesh, and is a part of the 10th largest mobile network operator in the world. I've gotten regular, formal awards (Marketing Award for six quarters out of the twelve quarters of my employment till date + Employee of the month multiple times) at work and my portfolio has increased with time. I can back my achievements with solid numbers.

Some career highlights
- Successful completion of 1-month international assignment & placement in HQ
- Former Management Trainee with fast track progression to Managerial role, within only 2.5 years of my career
- Project Manager for the first telecom merger in Bangladesh
- Product Manager for Facebook's Freebasics program in Bangladesh, which focuses on giving internet connectivity to the bottom of the pyramid, launching it for the first time in my country

On the side, I'm a director at my family business which focuses on government and non-profit sector consulting. I do business advisory for non-profits, and one of these non-profits was founded by a Harvard Kennedy alum and an Oxford Said MBA alum. My area of expertise is "mobile tech & communications for development".

Extracurriculars:
During my undergrad, I won multiple international & national awards in social entrepreneurship competitions. One of that was GSEC organized by the University of Washington's Foster School of Business. My team had beat out MIT in that competition. I was also awarded by Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus, for winning Yunus Centre's social entrepreneurship idea competition. I've coordinated nationwide charity drives back in my undergrad, 100+ people reporting to me.

Other coursework:
I finished MBA Math and I scored 100% in all of the MBA Math courses.

Nationality: Bangladeshi

Sex: Male

*Stats*

GRE & TOEFL Score:
My GRE total is 328, with a breakdown of 169 in Verbal, 159 in Quant, 4.5 in AW. I'm also done with my TOEFL with a 113/120.
I plan to resit the GRE to raise my Quant, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the time for it.

Undergrad GPA:
I graduated from the best business school in my country. My alma mater has alums in top business schools all over the world, including the business schools that I plan to apply to.

My 3.13/4 CGPA (Major- Finance) is measly though. I dived into ECAs during my first two years, achieving great success at the expense of my academics. Reprioritized and did very well in academics during my third year. During my fourth year, I contracted Hepatitis E just before my final exams, and my CGPA took a nosedive. My last year’s GPA was 3/4 versus my third year’s GPA of 3.7/4. I had the choice of postponing my studies for a year or taking a bad hit to my CGPA, & I chose the latter due to financial reasons. Anyways, even after taking my horrible fourth year in account, my last two years' CGPA is 3.35/4, so there is an upward trend there.

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:
Working in social impact on the side has actually inspired me to enter social impact full-time post-MBA, perhaps joining my family's business on a full-time basis, and/or starting a sister organization to the family business focused on my area of expertise. My area of expertise, Telecommunications, is very important for social impact in my country, Bangladesh. Our internet connectivity is almost entirely mobile communications dependant.

Working in a large private organization has not given me the training I need to embark on an entrepreneurial venture or engage full-time in expanding a family business. I need an MBA to make me ready.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Re: UCLA Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Good Afternoon -

Welcome a profile review for the UCLA (Anderson) 2020 Application Season:

Background and nationality: Age 30, Caucasian Male

Undergrad Information: 3.4 GPA (Political Science and Philosophy)

GMAT: 680 (Q45, V38)

Work Experience and Leadership: Served three years as a military officer in the United States Army. Held various staff and leadership positions focusing on organizational strategy, budget, plans, and operations. Personal contributions and leadership led to increased organizational performance, elevating the unit into the top five percent of a command that included over 1000 personnel. Military service also included combat leadership in a warzone. I have since served as a U.S. diplomat from 2015 to present. My diplomatic service included two overseas assignments where I was responsible for conducting quantitative/qualitative analysis to support U.S. policy in South Asia. I also supported U.S. bilateral and multi-lateral relations abroad.

Post MBA goals:

Short Term: Obtain a role in management consulting or investment banking focused on the telecommunications sectors.
Long Term: Work in a corporate strategy/develop role within a telecommunications company that maintains global footprint. In particular, I am in interested in assessing opportunities for global market growth through mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures that align with the corporate strategy of the telecommunications company.

Additional:
Strong track record of volunteer service during undergraduate studies
Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (During undergrad) -Held leadership positions
Father of two (2-year old and newborn)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Socalsurfer2020,

First, congratulations for your newborn :). I think your profile is really great and diverse. Your undergrad stats are great but your GMAT is slightly lower than the average, though I feel it should not pose any problem considering your background and profile.

About your work ex, you are one tough guy. UCLA wants candidates in leadership positions, who have sought more responsibility, dealt with challenging situations, or attempted to make a change that aligns with their own personal values. And so, considering you have played a vital role in a warzone and led your unit to reach the top 5 percent, you are a great fit for UCLA’s values. Over that, you have played the role of a diplomat which requires an analytical and strategic mind and you have had international exposure by being involved in multilateral relations, so you provide a full package of the values and skills UCLA seeks. Also, I think you are eligible for an application fee waiver for UCLA, so do confirm that with the school.

But I could not connect the dots of your post-MBA goals with your prior career, so would like to know how come you reached telecommunication sector as a part of both your long term and short term goals. Alternatively, if you'd like we are happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your work experience, career goals, and chances to some good schools in detail. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
Socalsurfer2020 wrote:
Good Afternoon -

Welcome a profile review for the UCLA (Anderson) 2020 Application Season:

Background and nationality: Age 30, Caucasian Male

Undergrad Information: 3.4 GPA (Political Science and Philosophy)

GMAT: 680 (Q45, V38)

Work Experience and Leadership: Served three years as a military officer in the United States Army. Held various staff and leadership positions focusing on organizational strategy, budget, plans, and operations. Personal contributions and leadership led to increased organizational performance, elevating the unit into the top five percent of a command that included over 1000 personnel. Military service also included combat leadership in a warzone. I have since served as a U.S. diplomat from 2015 to present. My diplomatic service included two overseas assignments where I was responsible for conducting quantitative/qualitative analysis to support U.S. policy in South Asia. I also supported U.S. bilateral and multi-lateral relations abroad.

Post MBA goals:

Short Term: Obtain a role in management consulting or investment banking focused on the telecommunications sectors.
Long Term: Work in a corporate strategy/develop role within a telecommunications company that maintains global footprint. In particular, I am in interested in assessing opportunities for global market growth through mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures that align with the corporate strategy of the telecommunications company.

Additional:
Strong track record of volunteer service during undergraduate studies
Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (During undergrad) -Held leadership positions
Father of two (2-year old and newborn)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Background and nationality- Indian male, 24 year old, B.Tech

Undergrad Information- B.Tech from Delhi College Of Engineering, GPA- 3.81 (as per WES)

GMAT: 730 (Q50, V38, IR 6, AWA5)

Work experience and leadership: 26 months ( Currently at Paytm Mobiquest for past 4 months, earlier at Urban Company for 8 months as Category Manager (General Management role), and as Junior Research Analyst at McKinsey & Co. for 14 months)
In McKinsey, handled international clients, successfully piloted a new project for South East Asia,

Community and others - Entrepreneurship stint during College (funded by Government of India), Lead volunteer and OC member at Startup Jalsa (India's biggest startup conference) for 5 years, Working with a local NGO in Chandigarh during the times of COVID, Logistics manager for an event called 'The Largest Plantation' which made a world record of planting 300,000 trees in 2 hours near Delhi

Post MBA goals - Short term : PM at a tech-giant (Apple, Microsoft, Google), Long-term: moving back to India and starting my own venture

Anything else- National Level badminton level in school, several olympiads winner in school, Core OC member at college's literature festival
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shvmnrng wrote:

Undergrad Information- B.Tech from Delhi College Of Engineering, GPA- 3.81 (as per WES)

Work experience and leadership: 26 months ( Currently at Paytm Mobiquest for past 4 months, earlier at Urban Company for 8 months as Category Manager (General Management role), and as Junior Research Analyst at McKinsey & Co. for 14 months)
In McKinsey, handled international clients, successfully piloted a new project for South East Asia,

Community and others - Entrepreneurship stint during College (funded by Government of India), Lead volunteer and OC member at Startup Jalsa (India's biggest startup conference) for 5 years, Working with a local NGO in Chandigarh during the times of COVID, Logistics manager for an event called 'The Largest Plantation' which made a world record of planting 300,000 trees in 2 hours near Delhi

Post MBA goals - Short term : PM at a tech-giant (Apple, Microsoft, Google), Long-term: moving back to India and starting my own venture

Anything else- National Level badminton level in school, several olympiads winner in school, Core OC member at college's literature festival

Hi there,

You have a great academic profile- a solid GPA and GMAT score. Your ECAs are excellent too, both at the college and professional level. I'd like to know more about your work experience - I see you have changed 3 jobs in 26 months, which is a lot and I hope you don't have more moves coming your way in the near future. Any specific reasons for these moves? This can pose a problem when you need recommendations from your managers and there isn't one with who you have worked for a substantial period of time.
What is your plan - are you applying this year or are you planning to wait 1-2 years ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
Shvmnrng wrote:

Hi there,

You have a great academic profile- a solid GPA and GMAT score. Your ECAs are excellent too, both at the college and professional level. I'd like to know more about your work experience - I see you have changed 3 jobs in 26 months, which is a lot and I hope you don't have more moves coming your way in the near future. Any specific reasons for these moves? This can pose a problem when you need recommendations from your managers and there isn't one with who you have worked for a substantial period of time.
What is your plan - are you applying this year or are you planning to wait 1-2 years ?

Hey, thank you so much for your feedback.
I am not thinking of switching jobs anytime soon. I switched from McKinsey to Urban Company to explore the startup ecosystem and take a general management role with bits of operations as well, apart from strategy making. However, since Urban Company is a home services company, due to COVID, its business came to a standstill and due to the lack of clarity of company's future, i had to shift to a B2B role at Paytm Mobiquest.
Also, I am planning to apply this year, with ~3 years of work ex at the commencement of the program. Please let me know what you think of these issues now?
Thank you for your help once again :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47 (Online)
Send PM
I feel I have a pretty non-traditional background (at least when compared to most other profiles I see) and so I'm not exactly sure how to invest my time in the next 12 months to bolster my application and I would appreciate any feedback/advice.

Why I Want An MBA:

I know this is pretty unoriginal, but my goal is to get into consulting for 3-4 years because I really like how consultants work on a specific project for a few months and then switch assignments. This appeals to me because I don't see myself doing one thing for 20 years and I also would enjoy the travel component. I feel like I'm pretty analytical and so I'd like the challenge of digging into different problems. From there, I would like to found my own creative consulting firm.

Stats:

GMAT: 760 (Q48 V47 IR8) (I studied my @$$ off for this test because I wanted to show that I was ready for the academic rigour of the MBA program and that I really want to get into an MBA program)

CGPA: 9.5/12 (The last 2.5 years my CGPA is perfect and that's because that was when I figured out I wanted to go to bschool and that schools would look at my grades. In Canada, bschools only look at the last 2 years of undergrad, but I know in the US they look at all the years)

Education: Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy (Graduated with High Honours)

Work Experience:

Suiting: 2 years experience fitting men for suits and luxury brand clothing and providing styling consultation.

Visual Merchandiser: 2 years experience designing and creating visual displays in-house for a well established, very large, higher-end store. Present the brand messaging while taking into account sales, trends and promotions.

Professional Actor: 5 years part-time experience acting in educational settings for the 6 local universities/colleges and councils. Have also starred in various educational videos.

Extracurriculars:

Create art and have an art instagram page. Workout 4X/week (if that counts?). Play chess.

Nationality:

Canadian-born to two immigrant parents escaping war torn Sri Lanka. Both parents are extremely working class and grinders and so I come from humble but proud beginnings and I'm forever grateful to them.

Thoughts?

So yeah, that's my bio so far but I'm planning on applying in the Fall of 2021 so I have 12 months to invest (other than the time spent working full-time) and I'm not exactly sure what to lean into? Should I take hbx core or does my GMAT cover my analytical thinking portion? Should I keep creating art and try to grow my instagram? Should I volunteer somehow in this pandemic? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.94
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I'll give this a go. Applying in Round 2.

Nationality: American
Identity: White Transgender
Undergraduate education: University of Maryland GC
Undergraduate Degree: East Asian Studies
GMAT Score – 740 (Q 49, V 42, IR 8, AWA 5)

Work experience:
Currently working for a top defense contractor in Maryland since Feb 2019. I am the senior analyst of an 11-person team, and I oversee all US Army counterintelligence (CI) operations west of Chicago. I have been promoted and given raises twice. I was selected to lead the first on-site integration of our team directly with our customer and input real-time CI consult during an international conference, and also delivered a brief to 450+ attendees at a national defense conference.

Prior to my current position, I was enlisted Air Force. I was a Chinese linguist, learned the language at the Defense Language Institute, and worked primarily in Hawaii. I was promoted several times and attained a Mission Manager position where I oversaw a 50+ member team, leading operations support, training, feedback, and service-mission integration efforts.

Successes:
Reporting delivered during Presidential brief
Reporting directly to the SecDef
Coined by my commander
Honor graduate of basic military training and my Chinese course
Maintained Deans list every semester/magna cum laude
Letter of rec written by my current supervisor; received monetary bonus
Selected for Taiwan immersion course at Tamkang University during Chinese course

Recs include a retired Chief Warrant 5 who I work for now, who honestly will write me a glowing recommendation. The other is my previous supervisor from my enlisted stint, who I can confidently say will write the same type of rec.

Extra-curricular activities:
I have several real estate investments and manage a few properties in my off-time.
I am a drag performer across the Baltimore-DC area and have performed at notable venues.
I have coached high school wrestling in three different states.
I completed a Make A Wish business internship in Hawaii, managing 250+ volunteers and aiding two wishes.
I was selected for the National Air Force wrestling team and competed at the 2017 Armed Forces Wrestling competition.

Post-MBA Career Goals:
In the short term, I want to work in either strategic or government consulting. Based on my professional experience, this seems like both a natural progression and a career change.
Long term goals vary across two paths; I either want to continue rising in the consulting world/create a consulting firm among my network, or I want to increase my East Asian studies, utilize that knowledge and an MBA and perform in an ambassador/embassy role. (I don't usually include that in my apps)

I was admitted to Georgetown last year and ultimately deferred.
Round 1 applications only include USC, where I have already interviewed.
Round 2 apps include HBS, Yale, Booth, LBS, and UCLA.

Very interested in your thoughts as your perspective is much, much greater than mine in terms of competition. Thank you for your time!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Would request a brief evaluation of my profile.
Male - 27 years, Chartered Accountant
Education:
Xth - 95.4%
XIIth - 96.4%
B.Com (Hons) - 86.7% - CGPA – 4 (Shri Ram College of Commerce – No.1 Undergraduate Business College in India)
Chartered Accountant - All India Rank - 23 at Final level and Rank - 14 at Intermediate Level

CA Articleship experience (mandatory training period of 3 years for Indian Chartered Accountants):
PwC (one of the Big4) – Risk & Assurance Division
3 years with PwC in Assurance Division and having exposure to clients from multiple industries. Led a team of 4 members on an assignment in last 3 months of Articleship and also handled a client engagement independently. .
In terms of international exposure, worked with UK team on an assignment for 2 months for a client based in India.

Post Qualification experience: 3.5 years – Bharti Airtel (one of the biggest telecom companies in the world)
Got placed with Airtel as a part of its Young Leader’s Program (Rotational Leadership Program for MBA graduates from top B schools (IIM’s) in India) and was the only Chartered Accountant in the batch.
Year 1: Completed projects and multiple functional stints involving Sales & Marketing, Supply Chain, Finance etc. as part of the Leadership program and also did an international stint in Zambia (Africa) for 2 months. Had few monetary savings contribution during the year.
Year 2 : Became SME(Subject Matter expert) - Internal Controls and Governance for the organization in Corporate Financial Reporting Function. Major responsibilities included Risk Identification, Control Environment Maintenance and mitigation of gaps for Company’s Finance Processes. Also Worked as a part of team involved in a Merger integration project and contributed to a monetary savings of INR 70 Mn on the project.
Year 3 : Became Commercial Manager at the Organization’s regional office in Mumbai and is currently placed in this role. The role includes financial modelling and business analysis along with extensive stakeholder management. This role also involves commercial feasibility analysis of Capex Proposals and multiple offerings to Business Customers. Overseeing a market which contributes approx. INR 40000 Mn to the company’s revenue.

Extra-Curricular activities:
1. Co-Founded a society during graduation and successfully organized events with an average footfall of 200+
2. Sports Captain for the school during secondary school education and member of Football, Chess & Athletics Team
Social Work:
1. Served as a Teacher in the Company’s Foundation Schools for underprivileged children.
2. Regular Contributor to the UNICEF Fund
3. Participated in CSR events organized by PwC

GMAT Online - 710 (Q48 V38 IR6)

Post MBA goal:
Short Term: TMT Strategy/Consulting
Long term: Career in Sports Management/Entertainment/

Target admission - July 2021
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Stratus Admissions Counseling
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vikas213 wrote:

Education:
Xth - 95.4%
XIIth - 96.4%
B.Com (Hons) - 86.7% - CGPA – 4 (Shri Ram College of Commerce – No.1 Undergraduate Business College in India)
Chartered Accountant - All India Rank - 23 at Final level and Rank - 14 at Intermediate Level

CA Articleship experience (mandatory training period of 3 years for Indian Chartered Accountants):
3 years with PwC in Assurance Division and having exposure to clients from multiple industries. Led a team of 4 members on an assignment in last 3 months of Articleship and also handled a client engagement independently. .
In terms of international exposure, worked with UK team on an assignment for 2 months for a client based in India.

Post Qualification experience: 3.5 years – Bharti Airtel (one of the biggest telecom companies in the world)
Got placed with Airtel as a part of its Young Leader’s Program (Rotational Leadership Program for MBA graduates from top B schools (IIM’s) in India) and was the only Chartered Accountant in the batch.
Year 1: Completed projects and multiple functional stints involving Sales & Marketing, Supply Chain, Finance etc. as part of the Leadership program and also did an international stint in Zambia (Africa) for 2 months. Had few monetary savings contribution during the year.
Year 2 : Became SME(Subject Matter expert) - Internal Controls and Governance for the organization in Corporate Financial Reporting Function. Major responsibilities included Risk Identification, Control Environment Maintenance and mitigation of gaps for Company’s Finance Processes. Also Worked as a part of team involved in a Merger integration project and contributed to a monetary savings of INR 70 Mn on the project.
Year 3 : Became Commercial Manager at the Organization’s regional office in Mumbai and is currently placed in this role. The role includes financial modelling and business analysis along with extensive stakeholder management. This role also involves commercial feasibility analysis of Capex Proposals and multiple offerings to Business Customers. Overseeing a market which contributes approx. INR 40000 Mn to the company’s revenue.

1. Co-Founded a society during graduation and successfully organized events with an average footfall of 200+
2. Sports Captain for the school during secondary school education and member of Football, Chess & Athletics Team
Social Work:
1. Served as a Teacher in the Company’s Foundation Schools for underprivileged children.

Post MBA goal:

Hi Vikas213 - I'm happy to provide my feedback. I think overall you have a very competitive profile for Anderson. As I'm sure you realize, you are in an overrepresented demographic. But you have a very strong academic background from a top school, you work for a brand-name firm and can demonstrate both leadership/management experience as well as international exposure, you achieved your Chartered Accountant, and you have great extracurricular experience. Your GMAT is a little low for UCLA, but I do think your academics and other experience can overcome this. I think key for you will be your essays. Do you have a good story to tell about why you want to go into consulting before your longer term goal of sports management/entertainment, for example? Or have you considered moving directly into that longer term role out of business school? Definitely do your research so you can explain why this school in particular is such a great fit for you in terms of your goals and gaps. I would also suggest diving deeper into some of your extracurricular experience, particularly where you can show leadership and/or achievements. The society you co-founded looks particularly promising. Best of luck to you!!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Vikas213,

I must admit that your profile looks very impressive and accomplished. I would also like to highlight that SRCC is not just the best Commerce undergraduate college of India but of the whole Asia. Your acads are genuinely strong. Together with your CA title, they very well declare you as a high performing, analytical and intellectual individual. No doubt, your scores and academics are in a perfect setting.

Talking about UCLA Anderson’s class profile, the average GMAT score hovers at 706 with 4.5 years of average work-ex. It may be a perfect fit for you as 6% of the class ventures into Entertainment/Media post the completion of the course. If you are open to suggestions, you can also try NYU Stern too. Because it is also a preferred choice for TMT enthusiasts. Though the competition is a bit higher there, it is worth the try. And with your impactful work-ex, the outlooks looks a bit promising.

Talking specifically about your work-ex, it is indeed very stunning. Your involvement as a SME further brightens your intellectual and academic prowess. It makes a very strong point that your Finance and Risk background is very strong. You will have to bring forward career progression in your application as I see it is lacking here to some extent. Though your achievements are very remarkable. But what attracts adcoms more than an impressive career is a progressive and impressive career. You can bring out numbers which tell how you have been a better performer than your peers. Else, you can add more contributions to your organization like the monetary savings of INR 70 Mn.

Here, I’ll also suggest you bring forward leadership anecdotes and cases from your professional or personal life. This will call attention to the leadership abilities in you. Though your ECs tell that you’ve held leadership positions in the past, they slightly date back to your early years. Given the competition is high for UCLA, you’ll have to dig deeper and come up with recent leadership scenarios. For instance, it can be when you steered your organization through a tough time or a crisis.

Overall, I believe your application will look very strong.

Feel free to connect with us for any support or help. We can have a quick discussion around your application strategy and more schools which you can target. We will be more than happy to assist you in your MBA journey.

Regards,
Shantanu Sharma
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

Vikas213 wrote:
Education:
Xth - 95.4%
XIIth - 96.4%

Social Work:

Post MBA goal:

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,

Please help in evaluating my profile :

Education :
Chartered Accountant (India)
CFA (Level II cleared) (90th percentile)
Bachelor of Commerce from NM College, Mumbai (Grade A)
Std XII (87%)
Std X (92%)

Work Experience:

3 years of internship with Deloitte as an Internal Audit Consultant
6 months with Future Group as a Business Innovator
2 years of work ex with Kotak Investments as a Credit/ Monitoring Analyst (Current)

Extra Currics :

Associated with a Rotaract club for a year
Represented school and college in district level throwball championships,
Dance (as a hobby)

GMAT - yet to attempt (ongoing prep)

THANKS!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 310
Send PM
Kindly review my profile.

Background and nationality:
Indian 28 years old Female

Undergrad Information:
Bachelor of Technology in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering with 8.34/10 CGPA

GMAT: 710(Q50,V35,IR6,AWA5)
TOEFL Yet to appear

Work experience and leadership:
Currently in the role of Junior Executive and working as an Air Traffic Controller at Area Control Centre with a total of 5.5 years of experience at Airports Authority Of India. The day to day job is to provide Air Traffic Services in the continental and oceanic airspace, identify and resolve conflicts between aircrafts using separation standards, handle priority, emergency and medical aircrafts, and assist other organizations in Search and Rescue. Trained in Aerodrome and Approach Control as well at Civil Aviation Training College.

International Air Transport Association(IATA) certification in Introduction to Airport Operations.

Past Employer: Infosys Limited. For 2 years. Worked on business intelligence tools for building a consumer data hub, while in an EIM project for the client: Moneygram, USA

Leadership:
Served as the Class representative(CR) for two years in college. CR was the point of contact between the university staff and the students and facilitated the grievance redressal of students.
Was a part of the hostel mess committee for three years in college to look after the working of the mess management staff, keep a check on day to day mess facilities and act as a bridge between administration, hostel mess management on one side and the students on the other.

Post MBA goals:
I would like to join a top global management consulting firm because the diverse and fast learning atmosphere that a consultant is attuned to attracts me. I believe providing tailored and unique solutions to clients would be good fit for my career. I will work my way to becoming a partner and, in the long run, I will specialize in the field of aviation.

Others: Class X: 93.4%
Class XII: 85%
Bagged various prizes in Olympiads and art related events at school.
Represented the Eastern region at Organization level Table Tennis tournament.

A Query: I have another reportable GMAT score of 570 from my first attempt (3 months before the second attempt). How will that affect my profile?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing. What a cool job you have - it's not every day that I get to read the profile of an air traffic controller! I love to fly, and can't wait until our current situation improves so that I can travel more again. I think that your career path of doing consulting in the short term and specializing in aviation/transportation in the long-term makes sense - I worked with someone last year who worked in the airline industry and is now pursuing a similar path.

As you may be aware, competition is quite strong for Indian applicants - while a 710 is solid, I do encourage you to take the exam again to see if you can gain a few more points (730+ would be ideal). To answer your question - it's ok that you scored lower in a previous attempt, as schools consider only your highest score.

Also, are you involved in any post-college extracurriculars? While I know it is challenging in this virtual environment, if you are able to expand your efforts in this area, it would round out your profile as well (though college involvement certainly is taken into account as well). Hope that helps a bit - best of luck!

AkP1992 wrote:
Kindly review my profile.

Background and nationality:
Indian 28 years old Female

Undergrad Information:
Bachelor of Technology in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering with 8.34/10 CGPA

GMAT: 710(Q50,V35,IR6,AWA5)
TOEFL Yet to appear

Work experience and leadership:
Currently in the role of Junior Executive and working as an Air Traffic Controller at Area Control Centre with a total of 5.5 years of experience at Airports Authority Of India. The day to day job is to provide Air Traffic Services in the continental and oceanic airspace, identify and resolve conflicts between aircrafts using separation standards, handle priority, emergency and medical aircrafts, and assist other organizations in Search and Rescue. Trained in Aerodrome and Approach Control as well at Civil Aviation Training College.

International Air Transport Association(IATA) certification in Introduction to Airport Operations.

Past Employer: Infosys Limited. For 2 years. Worked on business intelligence tools for building a consumer data hub, while in an EIM project for the client: Moneygram, USA

Leadership:
Served as the Class representative(CR) for two years in college. CR was the point of contact between the university staff and the students and facilitated the grievance redressal of students.
Was a part of the hostel mess committee for three years in college to look after the working of the mess management staff, keep a check on day to day mess facilities and act as a bridge between administration, hostel mess management on one side and the students on the other.

Post MBA goals:
I would like to join a top global management consulting firm because the diverse and fast learning atmosphere that a consultant is attuned to attracts me. I believe providing tailored and unique solutions to clients would be good fit for my career. I will work my way to becoming a partner and, in the long run, I will specialize in the field of aviation.

Others: Class X: 93.4%
Class XII: 85%
Bagged various prizes in Olympiads and art related events at school.
Represented the Eastern region at Organization level Table Tennis tournament.

A Query: I have another reportable GMAT score of 570 from my first attempt (3 months before the second attempt). How will that affect my profile?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hey, There!
Background and nationality
My name is Vinay and I'm from Bangalore, India. I would be applying for my MBA request some input on my selection of universities. I've added the details of my profile as briefly as I could. My shortlist of colleges is given at the bottom of the comment. I'm also wondering if I should apply to universities, some advice from you.

GRE
- 330 (V-157; Q-170; AWA- 3)

Undergraduate

Completed my Bachelors of Business Administration from Alliance University, Bangalore in Finance with an aggregate of 81.5% ( First Class with Distinction) Top 5% of the class. With a GPA of 3.3/4.

Work Experience
4 of Years work-ex, with the deep domain of equity research and valuation.
-Equity Research Analyst at Sarthak Returns ( June 5th, 2017 – Date ) – Sarthak Returns is a Stock Market Advisory Company based in Bangalore. Responsibilities here include
- Technical Analysis, Fundamental Analysis, Equity Research, Proprietary trading, Handling clients accounts, Blog writing.Was Handling a team of 3 people directly reporting.
- I had 3 promotions in the last 4 years
- I Handle 4 people team where they report to me directly.
- I handle and manage clients directly.

Certifications

NSE Academy's Certified Investment Analyst Champion (NCIAC) & NCMP Level 3
NISM-Series-VIII: Equity Derivatives Certification Examination
NISM-Series-X-A: Investment Adviser (Level 1) Certification Examination
NISM-Series-X-B: Investment Adviser (Level 2) Certification Examination
NISM Series-XV: Research Analyst Certification Examination

Extra-Curricular Activities:

• Volunteer with Youth for Seva ( July 1st, 2016 – September 30th, 2016 ), a Non-Governmental Organisation. The work involved teaching Spoken English and Basic Computer Skills to Primary and Middle School children. This continues till date in a Part-time effect, with overall service time over **Five Hundred Hours**.
• Organised “Mock Stock”, a stock market simulator, in an inter-college event.
•Co-Founded a start-up in the college days - Started with the platform-based company for travel (Air and Bus) with Hotel booking. It was improved based on blind spots, Started renting out textbooks. That rented out students' old books and paid them a share of the earnings, thereby enabling students to make money off books they do not need.
•Co-Founded a niche-based stock research firm meanwhile I was working as an equity research analyst. The firm employs 15 people directly reporting. The firm name is Valuenomics Research
• Have pursued Young Leadership program from Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, the program was for the one-year duration with blend learning from both online and offline.

Post MBA goals
Short Term
Work for Asset Management Company

Long Term
Become Fund Manager in Asset Management Company

Hobbies
Reading Books, Playing badminton, Networking with people who aren't like me at all
Please evaluate my profile, I'd love to hear your thoughts about my profile?

**UNIVERSITY SHORTLIST**

**Ambitious**
- NYU – MBA
- Cornell -MBA
- Ross- MBA
- Duke -MBA
- ISB - MBA

**Conservative**
- Simon -MBA
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Stratus Admissions Counseling
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Expert Reply
vinaydwarakanath wrote:
Hey, There!
Background and nationality
My name is Vinay and I'm from Bangalore, India. I would be applying for my MBA request some input on my selection of universities. I've added the details of my profile as briefly as I could. My shortlist of colleges is given at the bottom of the comment. I'm also wondering if I should apply to universities, some advice from you.

GRE
- 330 (V-157; Q-170; AWA- 3)

Undergraduate

Completed my Bachelors of Business Administration from Alliance University, Bangalore in Finance with an aggregate of 81.5% ( First Class with Distinction) Top 5% of the class. With a GPA of 3.3/4.

Work Experience
4 of Years work-ex, with the deep domain of equity research and valuation.
-Equity Research Analyst at Sarthak Returns ( June 5th, 2017 – Date ) – Sarthak Returns is a Stock Market Advisory Company based in Bangalore. Responsibilities here include
- Technical Analysis, Fundamental Analysis, Equity Research, Proprietary trading, Handling clients accounts, Blog writing.Was Handling a team of 3 people directly reporting.
- I had 3 promotions in the last 4 years
- I Handle 4 people team where they report to me directly.
- I handle and manage clients directly.

Certifications

NSE Academy's Certified Investment Analyst Champion (NCIAC) & NCMP Level 3
NISM-Series-VIII: Equity Derivatives Certification Examination
NISM-Series-X-A: Investment Adviser (Level 1) Certification Examination
NISM-Series-X-B: Investment Adviser (Level 2) Certification Examination
NISM Series-XV: Research Analyst Certification Examination

Extra-Curricular Activities:

• Volunteer with Youth for Seva ( July 1st, 2016 – September 30th, 2016 ), a Non-Governmental Organisation. The work involved teaching Spoken English and Basic Computer Skills to Primary and Middle School children. This continues till date in a Part-time effect, with overall service time over **Five Hundred Hours**.
• Organised “Mock Stock”, a stock market simulator, in an inter-college event.
•Co-Founded a start-up in the college days - Started with the platform-based company for travel (Air and Bus) with Hotel booking. It was improved based on blind spots, Started renting out textbooks. That rented out students' old books and paid them a share of the earnings, thereby enabling students to make money off books they do not need.
•Co-Founded a niche-based stock research firm meanwhile I was working as an equity research analyst. The firm employs 15 people directly reporting. The firm name is Valuenomics Research
• Have pursued Young Leadership program from Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, the program was for the one-year duration with blend learning from both online and offline.

Post MBA goals
Short Term
Work for Asset Management Company

Long Term
Become Fund Manager in Asset Management Company

Hobbies
Reading Books, Playing badminton, Networking with people who aren't like me at all
Please evaluate my profile, I'd love to hear your thoughts about my profile?

**UNIVERSITY SHORTLIST**

**Ambitious**
- NYU – MBA
- Cornell -MBA
- Ross- MBA
- Duke -MBA
- ISB - MBA

**Conservative**
- Simon -MBA

Hi vinaydwarakanath - I'm happy to provide a bit of feedback to you. First off, I'm a little confused, since this is the UCLA forum, but it does not appear on our school list. Are you also interested in UCLA Anderson?

In any case, I think you do have some things working in your favor for your target schools. You had great undergrad grades, and your work experience seems strong, especially your three promotions in four years and that you are managing people. As I'm sure you know, you are in an overrepresented demographic applying to these schools, so will need to really differentiate yourself. I assume your promotions are much faster than your peer group, is that right? Do you have specific impact or accomplishments at work that you can demonstrate?

I like your EC experience, but are you currently doing any of these? Schools want to see a history of extracurricular involvement, and you show some great leadership, but they also will want to see current activities.

Your GRE is about average for many of your target schools - we usually recommend aiming for higher than the average if you're from an overrepresented demographic, if at all possible. Do you think you would be able to get a higher score if you took the test again? And have you taken any practice GMATs to get a sense for how you would score on it? Some people for whatever reason seem to do better on one test than the other.

Most important will be the stories that you tell through your essays. Why do you want to be a Fund Manager? Why do you need an MBA to reach your goals? Why is each of your target programs well suited to help you get there? If you can tell this story compellingly, and connect the dots between what you've done so far, where you're headed, and what you need to get there, you will help further differentiate yourself and increase your chances at any of these schools.

I hope this was helpful - best of luck to you!!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Hi I'm looking for a profile evaluation for the full-time 2 year MBA at Anderson starting next year (2022)
Below are details of my profile

Demographic
Indian | Male | Age 25

GMAT
710 (Q49 V39 | IR 6 | AWA 6)

Academics
Under-Graduation: 75.74% (First Division) | Bachelors in Commerce (Honours), Delhi University
12th Grade: 96.75% | Commerce Stream
10th Grade: 9.6 CGPA

Post MBA Goals
Short Term: Marketing & Communication Impact Consulting
Long Term: Set-up my own design and communication consulting organisation

Target Recruiters
IDEO, Dalberg, Bridgespan Group, Ogilvy, Dentsu, Unilever, Frog Design (other similar recruiters, open to your recommendations as well)

Work Experience
Function: Marketing
Tenure: 3.5 years
Industries: Hospitality, Consumer Products & Services, Social Impact
Specialisations: Advertising, Strategy | Additional Exposure: Business Development, General Management

Tenure Details:
July'21 | Tentative Engagement with Malaria No More, India (This is yet to be finalised, but in the pipeline; I'm in the last phase of recruitement and have received a somewhat positive response)
/ Digital Marketing and Communication on their Nation-wide Malaria prevention awareness, treatment, and management Social Behaviour Change Communciation Campaign

December'20-Present | Self-Employed
/ Co-founded social media and website based e-commerce fashion brand 'aurai by dt' (hair accessories) - engaged with an NGO building livelihood of impoverished women through skill building in stiching and tailoring
/ Freelance digital advertising, content strategy, and design solutions consultant to small scale consumer product & service brands

April'20-October'20 | Vihara Innovation Network
/ Marketing and Business Development Associate

June'19-March'20 | Vizara Technologies Pvt. Ltd
November'19-February'20 | Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi
/ Project Associate - International Heritage Symposium and Exhibition 2020

March'18-May'19 | Templatolio Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
/ Client Servicing Associate
/ Client Servicing Analyst

Co-curricular Development
Social Development:
June'20-Present | Rotary International
/ Member of Rotary Club of Delhi South Metropolitan. Taken active participation in monthly virtual meetings and assisted with operational and design solutions for those meetings

January'21-April'21 | Sofia Smart Centre
/ Engaged with this skill development NGO that enables impoverished women through skillbuilding to generate livelihood (for my hair accessories venture)

June'11 | Music Basti
/ Volunteered at the NGO focused on the holistic development of underprivileged children to bolster their personalities through the medium of music

Cultural Development:
September'14-May'17 | Music Society Member, Under-Graduation
/ Performed as member of the society at college annual fest

July'15 | Summer School, London School Of Economics (LSE)
/ Attended Summer School from London School of Economics (LSE) inManagerial Accounting and received 'A' Grade in the assessment examination

April'09-March'14 | Lead Guitarist-School Band, High-School
/ Participated in and won a few music competitions where I represented my school with my band
/ Performed on the opening day of the International PASH (Partners forthe future) German Leaders' youth camp; organised by the DPS Society in association with the Goethe Institute at Max Meuller Bhavan

February'09-January'12 | Rockschool Guitar Examinations
/ Cleared up till grade 4 guitar examinations with distinction; certified by Trinity School of Music, London

July'10-August'10 | Artek - The International Children's Festival, Ukraine
/ Represented India at this UN initiative, held in Ukraine. The festival encouraged cultural interaction and mutual dialogue betweenchildren from a vast variety of countries

Curricular Accomplishments
May'17 | Under-Graduation
/ Passed my undergraduate degree with First-Division

May'14 | Secondary Education
/ Ranked 10th in my high school, in a batch of approximately 1500 people, in the 12th grade CBSE Board Examination
/ Received a Gold Medal and Certificate of Merit for 7 consecutive years (2006–2014) of academic excellence - from my high school, D.P.S. R.K. Puram

Hobbies/Leisure
Watching sports-Cricket, F1, Tennis, Baseball / Electronic Music Production / YouTube Learning / Streaming Platforms / Traveling /Reading

Thanks for your help
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9