GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 08:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. Simon($$) vs. Rotman

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 53% [7]
  • 0% [0]
  • 46% [6]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.3
WE: Marketing (Other)
UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. Simon($$) vs. Rotman  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 08:19
Hi everyone, I was lucky to get accepted to some great MBA programs, UNC Kenan-Flagler, Simon (with US$ 60k of scholarship) and Rotman. I am from Brazil and intend to make a career change from Marketing to Management Consulting after the MBA (recruiting both in the US and in Brazil). Product Management in the Tech sector would be my plan B. I am single and will live by myself during the MBA, so family isn't a concern. Could you please share your thoughts on these MBA programs? I have visited the schools' campus and really enjoyed them all, but I am leaning towards UNC, because I believe the school is stronger in Consulting (additionally, I consider Chapel Hill / Research Triangle region as a better place to live and recruit than Rochester - NY). Toronto is becoming an unfeasible option because of financing issues.

PS: I am waiting for responses from Duke, McCombs and Georgetown, so I would appreciate if you could comment on these schools as well.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. Simon($$) vs. Rotman  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 08:35
Congrats on your admits. If MC is your goal, I think KF would be a better. Moreover, its an internationally recognized school. Even if you got money from Simon, not sure its worth your time as you already have KF.
Of course, you should go to Duke if you are admitted. There is no second thought about it even without scholarship money.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 17:13
whymba909 wrote:
Congrats on your admits. If MC is your goal, I think KF would be a better. Moreover, its an internationally recognized school. Even if you got money from Simon, not sure its worth your time as you already have KF.
Of course, you should go to Duke if you are admitted. There is no second thought about it even without scholarship money.

Thank you for your coments, whymba909!!

bb, I saw that you just started a discussion on top 20 vs. top 40 with scholarship. I would really appreciate if you could share your thoughts in my case!

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. Simon($$) vs. Rotman  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 17:34
Sorry to hear about Rotman being not feasible due to financing - it is a top school in Canada and definitely very popular lately - all Canadian programs have taken off in the last year. Prodigy Finance can't help there?

UNC vs. Simon with $60K scholarship?
Technically UNC Is $130K for 2 years and Simon is $98K-60K for 2 years. Add about $60K more for living expenses over 2 years.
That's $190K vs. $98K. Savings of $90K - that's almost full tuition for Simon.

The question is whether UNC can help you get a job faster and better than what Simon will. (You will get additional benefits from attending UNC obviously, including a larger class size - almost 300). Simon has been falling for the last 10 or so years in rankings and is barely hanging on to the Top 40, being a #43 and #65 on GMAT Club's popularity ranking that includes international programs. Simon is/was a heavy finance school and quite remote - the key industry in the city was a Kodak plant and that went kaput a long time ago. Recruiting is going to be tough.

I don't know, I still feel UNC is a slightly better option with a large class size and your career goals. If it were a full ride, then it would be a much more attractive proposition. I hope you get in at McCombs next week or maybe Fuqua would be a much better trade off!

BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 05:21
bb wrote:
Sorry to hear about Rotman being not feasible due to financing - it is a top school in Canada and definitely very popular lately - all Canadian programs have taken off in the last year. Prodigy Finance can't help there?

UNC vs. Simon with $60K scholarship?
Technically UNC Is $130K for 2 years and Simon is $98K-60K for 2 years. Add about $60K more for living expenses over 2 years.
That's $190K vs. $98K. Savings of $90K - that's almost full tuition for Simon.

The question is whether UNC can help you get a job faster and better than what Simon will. (You will get additional benefits from attending UNC obviously, including a larger class size - almost 300). Simon has been falling for the last 10 or so years in rankings and is barely hanging on to the Top 40, being a #43 and #65 on GMAT Club's popularity ranking that includes international programs. Simon is/was a heavy finance school and quite remote - the key industry in the city was a Kodak plant and that went kaput a long time ago. Recruiting is going to be tough.

I don't know, I still feel UNC is a slightly better option with a large class size and your career goals. If it were a full ride, then it would be a much more attractive proposition. I hope you get in at McCombs next week or maybe Fuqua would be a much better trade off!

BB

Thanks a lot, bb!!! Great and very helpful analysis! Regarding your question on Rotman, Prodigy pre-approved only US$ 20k/year for me, and I was not able to get an Stand By Letter of Credit with Brazilian banks, in order to get a loan from BMO (through Rotman's partnership). I asked for a scholarship, but the maximum they would be able to offer me would be US$ 10k, which would still not be enough, considering my approved Progigy loan and my personal savings that I will use for the MBA. Therefore, since there is a financial gap for me to attend Rotman and I was accepted at some good schools in the US (to which I would have better financing options), I am probably going to prioritize US schools.

I am looking forward to receiving an update from Fuqua today! I was waitlisted in the Early Action, and sent some additional letters over the past two months. Just out of curiosity, since you mentioned McCombs, would you choose McCombs over UNC?

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 05:41
@mbaclass2020
Congratulations on those admits.
what is your GMAT score?

Cheers,
Kabir
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 19:46
roykabir772 wrote:
@mbaclass2020
Congratulations on those admits.
what is your GMAT score?

Cheers,
Kabir

Hi roykabir772, thanks!
I applied with 650 (Q42 V38) and 660 (Q47 V34)
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler vs. Simon($$) vs. Rotman &nbs [#permalink] 15 Dec 2017, 19:46

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap