Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618804 [14]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [5]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Under current federal law, employers are allowed to offer their employ [#permalink]
Kudos
Prashantsharma wrote:
Why no option E

Posted from my mobile device

Because in argument everything revolves around cost aspects and nothing else. So, straightforward its D.
E, on the other hand, is something of an ideal condition in real life but that is not an assumption for the argument here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 415
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
Send PM
Re: Under current federal law, employers are allowed to offer their employ [#permalink]
Under current federal law, employers are allowed to offer their employees free parking spaces as a tax-free benefit, but they can offer employees only up to $180 per year as a tax-free benefit for using mass transit. The government could significantly increase mass transit ridership by raising the limit of this benefit to meet commuters??? transportation costs.

The proposal above to increase mass transit ridership assumes that

(A) current mass transit systems are subject to unexpected route closings and delays

(B) using mass transit creates less air pollution per person than using a private automobile

(C) the parking spaces offered by employers as tax-free benefits can be worth as much as $2,500 per year

(D) many employees are deterred by financial considerations from using mass transit to commute to their places of employment

(E) because of traffic congestion on major commuter routes, it is often faster to travel to one???s place of employment by means of mass transit than by private automobile

I can't explain myself why D is the answer!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tafannum wrote:
I can't explain myself why D is the answer!

Hello, Tafannum. This is a standard assumption question, so we need to find a necessary condition that would tie into the logic of the proposal. What does the passage lay out for us?

Bunuel wrote:
Under current federal law, employers are allowed to offer their employees free parking spaces as a tax-free benefit, but they can offer employees only up to $180 per year as a tax-free benefit for using mass transit. The government could significantly increase mass transit ridership by raising the limit of this benefit to meet commuters’ transportation costs.

Sentence 1 broaches the topic at the heart of the matter. We see that there are two possibilities for employers to offer employees something related to transportation as a tax-free benefit to the employer. The first option is free parking spaces; the second is up to $180 per year... for using mass transit.

Sentence 2 gives us a projection that more employees would use mass transit if the government would raise the $180-per-year mass transit credit, since, presumably, commuters' transportation costs exceed that amount.

The assumption must have a firm grounding in the passage, so let us see what the answers have in store.

Bunuel wrote:
(A) current mass transit systems are subject to unexpected route closings and delays

We have to assume such problems for the proposal to make sense? Why would anyone want to take mass transit if it were so unreliable? Remember, the passage tells us that the government could significantly increase mass transit ridership. This answer choice provides a reason why people might not want to use it. There is no logic to connect this choice to anything presented in the passage.

Bunuel wrote:
(B) using mass transit creates less air pollution per person than using a private automobile

Be that as it may, air pollution is not a concern for us. Remember, we have to find a missing piece of information that would necessarily allow the proposal to seem reasonable. The passage does not indicate anything about pollution, so it does not need to draw a comparison about pollution between different modes of transportation.

Bunuel wrote:
(C) the parking spaces offered by employers as tax-free benefits can be worth as much as $2,500 per year

Wow, really? The proposal has to assume that these parking spaces could be worth up to that exact figure? If that makes sense to you, then you must be clairvoyant. Although the information here is loosely tied to the passage, it is in no way required for us to see how the proposal about increasing mass transit ridership could be sensible.

Bunuel wrote:
(D) many employees are deterred by financial considerations from using mass transit to commute to their places of employment

This makes perfect sense. I know it may seem like a small thing, but notice the many. Since the rationale is that, again, the government could significantly increase mass transit ridership by..., there have to be many employees hanging in the balance, or, in other words, the decision has to affect a lot of people. If many workers currently drive because they feel it is too expensive to use mass transit, then the proposal would indeed have firm grounding: a lot of people would stand to gain if their employers could cover the cost of using mass transit, since the government would have increased the amount of tax-free benefits it provided such employers. This is our answer.

Bunuel wrote:
(E) because of traffic congestion on major commuter routes, it is often faster to travel to one’s place of employment by means of mass transit than by private automobile

This is a nice distraction, but nothing more. You might reason that more people would ride mass transit if the government were to provide increased benefits to employers to pass on to employees, but there is a piece missing. This answer choice has nothing to do with money, but with speed instead. Since the passage does not concern itself with commute times one way or the other, this cannot be the necessary assumption we seek.

I hope that helps answer your question. If not, I would be happy to discuss the matter further. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 1121
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.51
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
after reading the question ,we can predict assumption must be related to money.
only option d matches
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts