GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 16:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unlike the steam locomotive, which required an hour or two

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Unlike the steam locomotive, which required an hour or two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2013, 02:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (00:45) correct 19% (00:59) wrong based on 437 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike the steam locomotive, which required an hour or two of firing up before it was possible to move under its own power, nearly full power could be summoned almost instantly from the cold engine of a diesel locomotive.

(A) it was possible to move under its own power, nearly full power could be summoned almost instantly from the cold engine of a diesel locomotive
(B) it was possible to move under its own power, the diesel locomotive's engine, when cold, could produce nearly full power almost instantly
(C) it could move under its own power, the diesel locomotive could summon nearly full power from a cold engine almost instantly
(D) moving under its own power, the cold engine of the diesel locomotive could produce nearly full power almost instantly
(E) moving under its own power, almost instantly a diesel locomotive could summon nearly full power from a cold engine

Practice Makes a Man Perfect. Practice. Practice. Practice......Perfectly

Critical Reasoning: http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-critical-reasoning-shortcuts-notes-tips-91280.html

Collections of MGMAT CAT: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-mgmat-cat-math-152750.html

MGMAT SC SUMMARY: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mgmat-sc-summary-of-fourth-edition-152753.html

Sentence Correction: http://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-correction-strategies-and-notes-91218.html

Arithmatic & Algebra: http://gmatclub.com/forum/arithmatic-algebra-93678.html

Helpful Geometry formula sheet: http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-geometry-93676.html

I hope these will help to understand the basic concepts & strategies. Please Click ON KUDOS Button.

Intern
Intern
Re: Unlike the steam locomotive, which required an hour or two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2014, 20:29
Hi,
Is there anyone know why D is wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 10:37
jessiezhai wrote:
Hi,
Is there anyone know why D is wrong?

The comparison is not correct. 'Steam locomotive' is compared with 'engine'.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 13:36
Hi Experts / sayantanc2k / @e-gmat / GMATNinja,

Can you tell me what's wrong with choice E? My understanding is that adverb/adjectives can come before a Noun in 'Like/Unlike + comma' construction. Is the adverb almost instantly wrong here? I even remember seeing an official question similar to this (can't seem to find now). Please advise.

Thanks!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
CAT Tests
Unlike the steam locomotive, which required an hour or two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 15:31
sdlife wrote:

Can you tell me what's wrong with choice E? My understanding is that adverb/adjectives can come before a Noun in 'Like/Unlike + comma' construction. Is the adverb almost instantly wrong here? I even remember seeing an official question similar to this (can't seem to find now). Please advise.

Thanks!

I had the same issue of choosing between C and E. The deal-breaker was the split "the locomotive" in C, and "a/the locomotive" in E. So I have decided that in both parts of the sentence it has to be the same the/the or a/a, which is the case of option C.

I'm looking for a study buddy in NY, who is aiming at 700+. PM me.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2018, 02:55
Hero8888 wrote:
sdlife wrote:

Thanks!

I had the same issue of choosing between C and E. The deal-breaker was the split "the locomotive" in C, and "a/the locomotive" in E. So I have decided that in both parts of the sentence it has to be the same the/the or a/a, which is the case of option C.

great explanation.
this is a lession that minor grammartical error come when two choices are left. at first, we can eliminate 3 choices, using meaning logic. latter, grammartical error come into play. this grammatical error is subtle and minor. only when two choices are left, we can see the error.

look for grammartical minor error when two choices are left.
so order of looking for error is MEANING GRAMMAR APPROACH.
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2018, 08:38
monirjewel wrote:
Unlike the steam locomotive, which required an hour or two of firing up before it was possible to move under its own power, nearly full power could be summoned almost instantly from the cold engine of a diesel locomotive.

(A) it was possible to move under its own power, nearly full power could be summoned almost instantly from the cold engine of a diesel locomotive
(B) it was possible to move under its own power, the diesel locomotive's engine, when cold, could produce nearly full power almost instantly
(C) it could move under its own power, the diesel locomotive could summon nearly full power from a cold engine almost instantly
(D) moving under its own power, the cold engine of the diesel locomotive could produce nearly full power almost instantly
(E) moving under its own power, almost instantly a diesel locomotive could summon nearly full power from a cold engine

Correct Idiomatic Usage : Unlike X, Y

Unlike the steam locomotive, which required an hour or two of firing up before it could move under its own power, the diesel locomotive could summon nearly full power from a cold engine almost instantly.

Thus, Answer must be (C)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '19
GPA: 2.7

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2018, 11:17
monirjewel wrote:

We are comparing Steam locomotive with diesel locomotive. When we use like/unlike, it must be followed by only a "noun" or "noun phrase".

Straight option C.
Re: Unlike the steam locomotive, which required an hour or two &nbs [#permalink] 28 May 2018, 11:17

Unlike the steam locomotive, which required an hour or two

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap