Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 602 [27]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 602 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Until the rise of powerful commodity computers, and perhaps more impor [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi @gmatninja, @gmatninja2, @mikemcgarry, Experts,

Please help me understand the following line inorder to answer the 1st Question.

Often called mnemonic ciphers, they distinguished themselves *by requiring little, if any, in the way of material* that would arouse suspicion

I was unable to comprehend the meaning of the sentence. Is it a normal to use such a construction as "in the way of material".

My doubt is a bit specific but i just want to know if this sentence is a bit convoluted or my understanding is lacking.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Until the rise of powerful commodity computers, and perhaps more impor [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,
I have troubles marking option A in Q1 as the correct answer. I see that this "Often called mnemonic ciphers, they distinguished themselves by requiring little, if any, in the way of material that would arouse suspicion" is a relevant part of the passage for evaluating option A BUT it says if any and the answer choice uses MUST. To me answer choice A is too extreme given that there is a scenario in which suspicious tools are not needed...
Any feedback on this?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
KGump wrote:
Hi @gmatninja, @gmatninja2, @mikemcgarry, Experts,

Please help me understand the following line inorder to answer the 1st Question.

Often called mnemonic ciphers, they distinguished themselves *by requiring little, if any, in the way of material* that would arouse suspicion

I was unable to comprehend the meaning of the sentence. Is it a normal to use such a construction as "in the way of material".

My doubt is a bit specific but i just want to know if this sentence is a bit convoluted or my understanding is lacking.

Hi,

I can help.
The particular lines you have mentioned are written in a complex manner. If we are not paying attention to the meaning then we might not understand those lines.
It essentially means that few such materials are to be used in mnemonic ciphers that arouse little suspicion. In that way mnemonic is secured and the agent is free :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Send PM
Q1:
The question ask about "Effective ...", but the passage mentioned a feature of "mnemonic ciphers", it doesn't mentioned effective or not?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
can any one explain why A is the right answer for question 1?
And i was not able to infer the meaning of the sentence to which option A points.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Aravindrk1111 wrote:
can any one explain why A is the right answer for question 1?
And i was not able to infer the meaning of the sentence to which option A points.

Hi Aravind

I draw your attention to the last sentence of the first paragraph:

"...they distinguished themselves by requiring little, if any, in the way of material that would arouse suspicion, and offered extremely high levels of security..."

This tells us that the requirement of very little or no material which arouses suspicion is a distinguishing feature of mnemonic ciphers. Admittedly, the question asks us about the ciphers being "effective" and not "distinguished". However, both are positive connotation descriptions of mnemonic ciphers in this context, and all the other choices presented in the question are directly contradicted by various parts of the passage (as explained in an earlier post).

Therefore, in this specific question, it is not a stretch to take "distinguished" to indicate a "good" or an "effective" cipher.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quote:
1. According to the passage, which of the following was a requirement of an effective mnemonic cipher?

(A) It must require few tools or files that could give away a spy's secret operations
(B) It should include written records to ensure no data is lost
(C) It must require an extensive and complex process for the agent to follow
(D) It should disguise the secret nature of the message as commonplace communications
(E) It need not offer extremely high levels of security

I am unable to eliminate option C and D.
Refer below lines
"The ingeniously complex keying system with its chain addition and advanced arithmetic fed a complex pair of transposition tables that provided the real security of the cipher".
It clearly direct the answer towards option C.

MentorTutoring svasan05
Can you explain ?

SajjadAhmad, Can you share official explanation of Q1 and Q3.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harsh2111s wrote:
Quote:
1. According to the passage, which of the following was a requirement of an effective mnemonic cipher?

(A) It must require few tools or files that could give away a spy's secret operations
(D) It should disguise the secret nature of the message as commonplace communications

Refer below lines
"The ingeniously complex keying system with its chain addition and advanced arithmetic fed a complex pair of transposition tables that provided the real security of the cipher".

MentorTutoring svasan05
Can you explain ?

Hello, Harsh2111s. I think the analysis offered above by AVRonaldo best explains how the other answers, including (C), are incorrect. All that I will draw your attention to is that this is an according to the passage question, a detail question whose answer can be found directly in the passage (leaving little to no room for interpretation). Notice the keyword requirement in the question stem. This perfectly echoes requiring in the last line of the first paragraph. I find keyword matching to be an extremely useful approach for RC in general, but no more so than in this type of question.

Thank you for tagging me, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Harsh2111s wrote:
Quote:

Refer below lines

MentorTutoring svasan05

Can you explain ?

Hi Harsh

Hope the above clarification by AVRonaldo and MentorTutoring helped you rule out other options. Thanks for tagging me and do let me know if you have any further queries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Until the rise of powerful commodity computers, and perhaps more impor [#permalink]
In Question 1 I agree with the quoted line but it says" little or any while" the answer choice in question 1 says " It must require few " and the passage clearly says it might so how is answer A correct for question 1. Kindly clarify CrackverbalGMAT VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Schools: ISB '21
Send PM
Shree9975 wrote:
shriramvelamuri

Can you please explain me how you got Answers for Question 1 and Question 2 correct.
I am not getting enough information to mark these answers correct.
And for Question 3 i was confused between answers 2 and 3.On what basis did u mark Option 3.

It would be helpful if u help.

Thanks

I GOT ONLY ONE WRONG. DM ME FOR HELP
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rahul123456789 wrote:
In Question 1 I agree with the quoted line but it says" little or any while" the answer choice in question 1 says " It must require few " and the passage clearly says it might so how is answer A correct for question 1. Kindly clarify CrackverbalGMAT VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

few = little or none

Check: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2017/0 ... uite-gmat/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Until the rise of powerful commodity computers, and perhaps more impor [#permalink]
few = little or none

Thank u for ur prompt reply VeritasKarishma. Checked in the dictionary and online too but nowhere it is mentioned few= none so is this specific rule for GMAT. I mean a strategy kind of thing to remember.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rahul123456789 wrote:
few = little or none

Thank u for ur prompt reply VeritasKarishma. Checked in the dictionary and online too but nowhere it is mentioned few= none so is this specific rule for GMAT. I mean a strategy kind of thing to remember.

No, nothing GMAT specific about it. It is how the word "few" without "a" is used in English language.

"There are few people who like him" means there aren't many people who like him. How many exactly you can't say. It is used to show that there may be very few or may be not even that. It gives the degree of how little.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts