It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 15:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V07-21

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16297 [0], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
V07-21 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 12:05
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (00:41) correct 50% (01:09) wrong based on 92 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are community leaders, as well as ex-convicts, who are successful in business. All people who are successful in business are encouraged to join the Reynard Club. Which of the following can be concluded from the above?

A. All who are encouraged to join the Reynard Club are successful in business.
B. All who are encouraged to join the Reynard Club are community leaders or ex-convicts.
C. Some who are encouraged to join the Reynard Club are not community leaders or ex-convicts.
D. Some ex-convicts are encouraged to join the Reynard Club.
E. Some ex-convicts are not encouraged to join the Reynard Club.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Re V07-21 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 12:05
Official Solution:

There are community leaders, as well as ex-convicts, who are successful in business. All people who are successful in business are encouraged to join the Reynard Club. Which of the following can be concluded from the above?

B. All who are encouraged to join the Reynard Club are community leaders or ex-convicts.
C. Some who are encouraged to join the Reynard Club are not community leaders or ex-convicts.

Where does your mind want to go with this question? Presumably one would have to believe that a club with any exclusivity would find a way to bar at least some ex-convicts, right? Sure, it’s politically incorrect (and just wrong) to assume that all ex-convicts are unworthy of admission, but it’s quite likely that at least some will be repeat offenders or are otherwise undesirable. So answer choice E should look pretty tempting; it just about has to be true—but not necessarily.

All you truly know from this question is that some ex-convicts, those who are successful in business, are encouraged to join. But we do not know anything about those who are not successful in business, nor do we really know that any ex-convicts in this pool are not successful in business. Similarly, we do not know about anyone other than those we are told are successful (some community leaders and some ex-convicts), so although answer choice C seems like it has to be true, it’s not guaranteed here. If one were to diagram the logic, you’d find:

Some ex-convicts = Successful

Some community leaders = Successful

Successful = Invited to join

So:

Some ex-convicts = Successful = Invited to join (guaranteeing answer choice D)
Some community leaders = Successful = Invited to join
You do not know who else is invited to join; perhaps the Reynard Club is a lot like Sam’s Club or Amway as a club. (If you have money to spend, you’re invited! That includes leaders, ex-cons, and anyone else.) Remember that, above anything else, this is an Inference question. The correct answer must be true, and so any hypotheticals (such as Reynard Club is just like Sam’s Club) that would counter an answer choice like A or E means that the choice is not necessarily true.

The trick here? Your mind views community leaders and business successes positively, and ex-convicts negatively. Knowing that, the test can tempt you with answer choices A and E; knowing better, you can treat this as an Inference question only and make your determination based solely on the information given.

Answer: D

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 450 Q38 V12
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V07-21 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 19:20
Hi,
So the assumption in this question is that apart from convicts and leaders, no one is successful in business ??

Failures are stepping stones to success !!!

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 10:45
why is option c wrong????

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2015, 11:38
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:
There are community leaders, as well as ex-convicts, who are successful in business. All people who are successful in business are invited to join the Reynard Club.

Where is the TASK itself? What should I find? True, not true, must be true, may be true, or guess?

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GPA: 3.65
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 16:51
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. First, there is no task. Second, the Reynard Club isn't specifically encouraging ex-convicts to join, it's inviting successful business people.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 13:13
I think this is a poor-quality question. It is not indicated what one is supposed to do with the stem.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 13:14
I think this is a poor-quality question. It is not indicated what one is supposed to do with the stem.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2016, 09:21
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. The question is missing

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2016, 16:53
I think this is a poor-quality question and I agree with explanation. Hi Guys, I think there is a mistake in this question. There is "no question".

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3106 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 05:36
dumucci wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I agree with explanation. Hi Guys, I think there is a mistake in this question. There is "no question".

The question statement has been added. Thank you for pointing out.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.37

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 08:51
Why exactly is option (c) wrong?

The prompt states that there are community leaders and ex-convicts that are successful in the world. Fact 1.

Then, it introduces a new and unrelated fact that the Reynard club encourages ALL successful business people to join.

Clearly, "ALL successful business people" is a category that includes more than just community leaders or ex-convicts. So why is it incorrect to conclude that some successful business people besides community leaders or ex-convicts are also encouraged to join?

Thanks,

AF

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 04:10
alanflom wrote:
Why exactly is option (c) wrong?

The prompt states that there are community leaders and ex-convicts that are successful in the world. Fact 1.

Then, it introduces a new and unrelated fact that the Reynard club encourages ALL successful business people to join.

Clearly, "ALL successful business people" is a category that includes more than just community leaders or ex-convicts. So why is it incorrect to conclude that some successful business people besides community leaders or ex-convicts are also encouraged to join?

Thanks,

AF

Your statement (Clearly, "ALL successful business people" is a category that includes more than just community leaders or ex-convicts.) is not stated in the passage - this is your assumption; for inference type question only the facts stated in the passage can be used. No assumptions, even if it is practical and true, cannot be used.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re V07-21 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 05:21
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Dear Sir,

The answer choices are ambiguous.Both D and E should be correct.
Let the following example:
Some eggs are white(A).

It means both :
1) Some eggs are white.
2) Some eggs are not white.

The negation of (A) here should be
> No egg is white. From the given question :
Some ex-convicts are encouraged to join. means that at least one is encourage to join.Since , we cannot conclude that all are encouraged to join. In short , we can also conclude that some are not encouraged to join.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re V07-21   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2017, 05:21

V07-21

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap