GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 19:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V08-05

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V08-05  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 11:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (00:53) correct 58% (01:00) wrong based on 121 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A cricketer trying to predict the outcome of the one day world cup match in 1996 between the experienced Pakistan and the upstart Bangladesh, probably, would have chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and being quite wrong

A. have chosen then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and being quite wrong
B. have chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong
C. choose the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong
D. choose the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and be quite wrong
E. choose in favor of the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V08-05  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 11:58
Official Solution:

A cricketer trying to predict the outcome of the one day world cup match in 1996 between the experienced Pakistan and the upstart Bangladesh, probably, would have chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and being quite wrong

A. have chosen then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and being quite wrong
B. have chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong
E. choose in favor of the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong

Let us see the intricacies of sentence building through this thread. The helping verb “Would” / "would have" is common for both the verbs in the first part and the second part; So the subject and the verbs should fit in grammatically in both places;

A. (would) have chosen then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and (would / would have) being quite wrong’ --- wrong wording

B. (would have) chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and (would have) been quite wrong--- correct choice with some room for assumption

C. (would) choose the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and (would) been quite wrong; same as in A

D. (would) choose the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and (would) be quite wrong – The categorical nature of “would choose” misses the speculative core of the topic.

E. (would) choose in favor of the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and (would) been quite wrong -- same as in A;

Now between B and D; when we say ’would choose’ the element of speculation is missing in D; to that extent meaning is a subtle casualty; B is the best choice using an element of assumption.

Answer: B

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: V08-05  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 00:33
Hello Souvik
THanks for the explanation.

Just to clarify some parallelism mistake I can make.

Why is it not “Would have” the common factor for both the verbs ?

thanks
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 11:11
Barnal wrote:
Hello Souvik

thanks

Yes, I too chose variant A because of the same way of thinking. And can't get why A is wrong.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 09:45
Same here, I choose 'A' because I found 'B' more wordy that the ideal Answer should have been. Still not very clear the reason why it should be 'B' over 'A'.

Harley1980 wrote:
Barnal wrote:
Hello Souvik

thanks

Yes, I too chose variant A because of the same way of thinking. And can't get why A is wrong.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 07:33
+1 for A (and the same reasoning), waiting for a convincing clarification on A vs B.

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 18:37
B makes no sense!

B. have chosen that it would be the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and be quite wrong

it would be the then invincible Pakistan WHAT?
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2016, 04:52
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I disagree on this answer.. I've selected A
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.67
WE: Business Development (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 11:02
Can anyone provide any color on why A is wrong?

I'm of the persuasion that 'would have' should be a common parallelism factor: probably would have A and B. If it cannot be, I would like to know why so I can 're-calibrate' my brain.

...probably would have chosen ... and (would have) been ....
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 14:55
This is an awful question and the answer barely makes sense. Can it be taken out of circulation?
Current Student
Schools: IIMB EPGP"18 (A)
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 08:19
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

A cricketer trying to predict the outcome of the one day world cup match in 1996 between the experienced Pakistan and the upstart Bangladesh, probably would have chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong

A. have chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and been quite wrong
B. have chosen that it would be the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and be quite wrong

Let us see the intricacies of sentence building through this thread. “Would” is a common factor for both the verbs in the first part and the second part; So the subject and the verbs should fit in grammatically in both places;

A. (would) have chosen the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and (would) been quite wrong’ --- wrong wording

B. (would) have chosen that it would be the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and(would) be quite wrong--- correct choice with some room for assumption

C. (would) choose the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and (would) been quite wrong; same as in A

D. (would) choose the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and (would) be quite wrong – The categorical nature of “would choose” misses the speculative core of the topic.

E. (would) choose in favor of the then invincible Pakistan by an odds of 10/1 and (would) been quite wrong -- same as in A;

Now between B and D; when we say ’would choose’ the element of speculation is missing in D; to that extent meaning is a subtle casualty; B is the best choice using an element of assumption.

Answer: B

I too have selected A. Can someone please explain what is wrong with the wording for A?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 11:52
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Hi,
Why can't we consider 'would have' a common factor in the first choice that would then read as - would have chosen..........and (would have) been quite wrong?
Why only 'would' have been consider a common factor in the explanation?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Goizueta '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V32
GMAT 2: 620 Q45 V31
GMAT 3: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.97

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 16:07
I suppose answer choice B is incorrect. A cricketer in the past can't be wrong today?! no?
I answered A although it gave me an odd sensation while I was clicking on the answer choice.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 15:05
Saurav Arora wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Hi,
Why can't we consider 'would have' a common factor in the first choice that would then read as - would have chosen..........and (would have) been quite wrong?
Why only 'would' have been consider a common factor in the explanation?

Avigano wrote:
I suppose answer choice B is incorrect. A cricketer in the past can't be wrong today?! no?
I answered A although it gave me an odd sensation while I was clicking on the answer choice.

Thank you both of you.....valid point indeed. Options A and B have been modified taking into account your argument.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIMA (D)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 03:37
Hi, I understood the question and explanation. just a small point, "the"in answer choices should precede invincible Pakistan and not then invincible Pakistan.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 08:08
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:
Hi, I understood the question and explanation. just a small point, "the"in answer choices should precede invincible Pakistan and not then invincible Pakistan.

The: definite article
Then invincible: adjective
Pakistan: noun

Hence the structure "the then invincible Pakistan" is alright. (similar to "the red flower")
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 13:10
The difference between "then invincible" and "the then invincible" is the key difference between A and B.

For ex:
I challenged Brock Lesnar , the then Heavy Weight Champion, to beat me. -> Correct
I challenged Brock Lesnar , then Heavy Weight Champion, to beat me. -> Incorrect.

BTW action performed above is fictitious :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 22:46
i eliminated "A" b/c of "being"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 08:43
souvik101990 wrote:

There is still an Issue with the question statement and option A. They are not the same as highlighted above.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 21:13
The correct answer is D.

In the official explanation, it is mentioned that the only thing missing in D is that it misses the speculative nature of the question. That understanding is wrong because the beginning of the underlined portion is 'would be', which retains the speculative aspect, highlighting that it is a speculation that the predictor may have chosen Pakistan. But the second half is not speculative if we go purely by the meaning of the sentence. We know that had the speculation favored Pakistan, it would definitely be wrong. There is enough in the tonality of the question to suggest that the author is commenting on past events, and the fact that a predictor will be wrong if Pakistan were chosen is not speculative.
Re: V08-05 &nbs [#permalink] 13 Apr 2018, 21:13

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

V08-05

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap