Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619175 [40]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619175 [4]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: V11-19 [#permalink]
Kudos
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Answer B cannot be correct. Answer choice B compares mammals to to the heart in reptiles.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. It compares two different things: "mammals" and "the heart"
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tae808 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. It compares two different things: "mammals" and "the heart"

Jak5189 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Answer B cannot be correct. Answer choice B compares mammals to to the heart in reptiles.

No, your point is not correct. It is very clear that "the heart IN mammal" and " the heart IN reptiles" are compared. Putting "IN mammals" before "the heart" does not make "mammals" the first item being compared. Both of you have just fallen into a trap intentionally laid by the question writer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
My issue with the answer here does not arise from comparison (I think the placement of "in mammals the heart" vs "the heart in reptiles" is somewhat clear in meaning) but instead with subject/verb agreement.

B says "the heart... delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel WHILE DIRECTS BLOOD to the lungs..."

This is clearly not correct in my opinion. If it said "and directs" it would make more sense because those are the two functions that the heart performs and "directs" is parallel with "delivers".

Anyone care to correct me here if my reasoning is incorrect?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tadilliner wrote:
My issue with the answer here does not arise from comparison (I think the placement of "in mammals the heart" vs "the heart in reptiles" is somewhat clear in meaning) but instead with subject/verb agreement.

B says "the heart... delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel WHILE DIRECTS BLOOD to the lungs..."

This is clearly not correct in my opinion. If it said "and directs" it would make more sense because those are the two functions that the heart performs and "directs" is parallel with "delivers".

Anyone care to correct me here if my reasoning is incorrect?

"While" is a conjunction that is used to depict that two actions happen simultaneously. The sentence implies that the
"delivery of oxygenated blood to the organs" and "the directing of blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation" happens simultaneously. Therefore use of "while" is alright.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Whereas in mammals the heart has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, and delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has three chambers, with two ventricles and only one atrium.

Is the usage of with correct here?
Please clarify.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Actually BC can be quickly shortlisted first.
But in c, ... the mammalian heart, consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptilian heart has three chambers,

This is wrong... heart and value of heart are not parallel. This is corrected in B.

in mammals the heart has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, and delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has three chambers,

Has and directs are verbs that are parallel.

Am i right in my thinking? experts plz comment.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
kalian wrote:
Actually BC can be quickly shortlisted first.
But in c, ... the mammalian heart, consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptilian heart has three chambers,

This is wrong... heart and value of heart are not parallel. This is corrected in B.

in mammals the heart has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, and delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has three chambers,

Has and directs are verbs that are parallel.

Am i right in my thinking? experts plz comment.

It is not clear what you mean my "value of heart". Please elaborate.

The parallelism in the correct option B is not between "has" and "directs", but between "delivers" and "directs". The first "has" (The heart in mammals has) is parallel to the second "has" (The heart in reptiles has).

Option C is wrong because of wrong parallelism between "delivers" (The mammalian heart delivers) and "has" (The reptilian heart has). The OE elaborates this point further.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
samarthgarg94 wrote:
Whereas in mammals the heart has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, and delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has three chambers, with two ventricles and only one atrium.

Please clarify.
Thanks.

I agree. But the sentence in question has a slightly different structure.
Here, the ventricles are the chambers themselves.
I find the sentence analogous to:
I have 3 vehicles,with two cars and only one bicycle.

IS it right??
thanks.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
samarthgarg94 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
samarthgarg94 wrote:

Please clarify.
Thanks.

Yes, it is alright. Compare with the following example:
I have a striped shirt with one pocket and six buttons.

I agree. But the sentence in question has a slightly different structure.
Here, the ventricles are the chambers themselves.
I find the sentence analogous to:
I have 3 vehicles,with two cars and only one bicycle.

IS it right??
thanks.

You are right - the usage given in option B (and the example you pointed out) is incorrect - the preposition "with" should not be there. We have modified the question to take care of this issue.

Thank you for your inputs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I agree that this is a low quality question. When you remove the superfluous details of the sentence it becomes clear that the 'correct' answer B is grammatically incorrect.

Whereas in mammals the heart has X, ..., and delivers Y while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has Z.

Should be while directing blood.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 855 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Expert Reply
pinkbunny wrote:
I agree that this is a low quality question. When you remove the superfluous details of the sentence it becomes clear that the 'correct' answer B is grammatically incorrect.

Whereas in mammals the heart has X, ..., and delivers Y while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has Z.

pinkbunny Thanks, I agree. A key strategy, as you say, is to remove the superfluous modifiers. This "while" structure requires "verb-ing" after. As another example below, which would we say?

A) "He studies while wait."
B) "He studies while waiting."
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pinkbunny wrote:

I think the confusion arises because of two different uses of "while":

Usage 1: "While" to depict two continuous events occuring at the same time:
Correct: I listen to music while doing maths.
Here "while" does not necessarily need parallelism. Hence "listen" (verb) and "doing" (present participle) need not necessarily be parrallel.

Usage 2: "While" as a contrast marker (without reference to time)
Correct: I like cricket while dislike baseball.

Here "while" needs pallellism. Hence "like" (verb) and "dislike" (verb) must be parralel.
Wrong: I like cricket while disliking baseball. (parallelism violated)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92933 posts