It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 03:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-19

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 10:49
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:06) correct 63% (01:07) wrong based on 124 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Whereas in mammals the heart, which has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptiles have three-chambered hearts with two ventricles and only one atrium.

A. in mammals the heart, which has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptiles have three-chambered hearts with
B. in mammals the heart has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, and delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has three chambers,
C. the mammalian heart, consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptilian heart has three chambers,
D. the mammals have hearts consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, which deliver oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while direct blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the reptiles’ hearts have three chambers,
E. the mammals have hearts consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivering oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while directing blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the reptiles’ hearts have three-chambers,
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V11-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 10:49
Official Solution:

Whereas in mammals the heart, which has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptiles have three-chambered hearts with two ventricles and only one atrium.

A. in mammals the heart, which has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptiles have three-chambered hearts with
B. in mammals the heart has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, and delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has three chambers,
C. the mammalian heart, consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptilian heart has three chambers,
D. the mammals have hearts consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, which deliver oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while direct blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the reptiles’ hearts have three chambers,
E. the mammals have hearts consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivering oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while directing blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the reptiles’ hearts have three-chambers,

A. The contrast using whereas must have two parallel elements. The heart (in mammals) is wrongly contrasted with the reptiles. Moreover, the contrast using while too must have two parallel elements. Faulty parallelism exists between delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel and the other directs blood… .

B. Correct. The heart (in mammals) is correctly contrasted with the heart in reptiles.
Parallelism is maintained between delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel and directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another.
C. The construction the mammalian heart… …..delivers oxygenated blood is wrongly contrasted with the reptilian heart has 3 chambers – the contrast is wrongly established between delivering blood and having 3 chambers. Faulty parallelism exists between delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel and the other directs blood… .

D. The contrast is wrongly established between the mammals and the reptiles’ hearts. The modifier which deliver oxygenated….. by another wrongly refers to atria.

E. The contrast is wrongly established between the mammals and the reptiles’ hearts. The present participle (-ing) modifier delivering oxygenated blood………by another seems to refer incorrectly to the subject (the mammals) of the preceding clause – the mammals do not deliver oxygenated blood, their hearts do.

Answer: B

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Re: V11-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 09:48

Structure: Whereas X, Y
Y = .........with two ventricles and only one atrium.

A. in mammals the heart, which has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptiles have three-chambered hearts ==> not parallel in term of X & Y

B. in mammals the heart has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, and delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has three chambers, =>Correct, parallel structure: Whereas [mammals heart] has ... and delivers...., [reptiles heart] has...

C. the mammalian heart, consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptilian heart has three chambers, ==> to which "the other" refer? Atria?

D. the mammals have hearts consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, which deliver oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while direct blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the reptiles’ hearts have three chambers, ==> to which "which" refer to?, also, parallel structure in X & Y

E. the mammals have hearts consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivering oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while directing blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the reptiles’ hearts have three-chambers, ==> to which "delivering oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel" modify?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 20:55
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Answer B cannot be correct. Answer choice B compares mammals to to the heart in reptiles.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 08:03
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. It compares two different things: "mammals" and "the heart"
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 13:33
tae808 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. It compares two different things: "mammals" and "the heart"

Jak5189 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Answer B cannot be correct. Answer choice B compares mammals to to the heart in reptiles.

No, your point is not correct. It is very clear that "the heart IN mammal" and " the heart IN reptiles" are compared. Putting "IN mammals" before "the heart" does not make "mammals" the first item being compared. Both of you have just fallen into a trap intentionally laid by the question writer.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.85
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 14:16
My issue with the answer here does not arise from comparison (I think the placement of "in mammals the heart" vs "the heart in reptiles" is somewhat clear in meaning) but instead with subject/verb agreement.

B says "the heart... delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel WHILE DIRECTS BLOOD to the lungs..."

This is clearly not correct in my opinion. If it said "and directs" it would make more sense because those are the two functions that the heart performs and "directs" is parallel with "delivers".

Anyone care to correct me here if my reasoning is incorrect?
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 10:48
Tadilliner wrote:
My issue with the answer here does not arise from comparison (I think the placement of "in mammals the heart" vs "the heart in reptiles" is somewhat clear in meaning) but instead with subject/verb agreement.

B says "the heart... delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel WHILE DIRECTS BLOOD to the lungs..."

This is clearly not correct in my opinion. If it said "and directs" it would make more sense because those are the two functions that the heart performs and "directs" is parallel with "delivers".

Anyone care to correct me here if my reasoning is incorrect?

"While" is a conjunction that is used to depict that two actions happen simultaneously. The sentence implies that the
"delivery of oxygenated blood to the organs" and "the directing of blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation" happens simultaneously. Therefore use of "while" is alright.

I am not clear why you see an S/V disagreement - the subject for the singular verbs "delivers", "depicts" and "has" is singular "the heart".
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 07:45
Whereas in mammals the heart has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, and delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has three chambers, with two ventricles and only one atrium.

Is the usage of with correct here?
Please clarify.
Thanks.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 08:17
samarthgarg94 wrote:
Whereas in mammals the heart has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, and delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has three chambers, with two ventricles and only one atrium.

Please clarify.
Thanks.

Yes it is alright. Compare with the following example:
I have a striped shirt with one pocket and six buttons.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 06:53
Actually BC can be quickly shortlisted first.
But in c, ... the mammalian heart, consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptilian heart has three chambers,

This is wrong... heart and value of heart are not parallel. This is corrected in B.

in mammals the heart has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, and delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has three chambers,

Has and directs are verbs that are parallel.

Am i right in my thinking? experts plz comment.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 08:23
kalian wrote:
Actually BC can be quickly shortlisted first.
But in c, ... the mammalian heart, consisting of four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel, while the other directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation, the reptilian heart has three chambers,

This is wrong... heart and value of heart are not parallel. This is corrected in B.

in mammals the heart has four chambers, two ventricles and two atria, and delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has three chambers,

Has and directs are verbs that are parallel.

Am i right in my thinking? experts plz comment.

It is not clear what you mean my "value of heart". Please elaborate.

The parallelism in the correct option B is not between "has" and "directs", but between "delivers" and "directs". The first "has" (The heart in mammals has) is parallel to the second "has" (The heart in reptiles has).

Option C is wrong because of wrong parallelism between "delivers" (The mammalian heart delivers) and "has" (The reptilian heart has). The OE elaborates this point further.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 14:30
sayantanc2k wrote:
samarthgarg94 wrote:

Please clarify.
Thanks.

Yes it is alright. Compare with the following example:

I agree. But the sentence in question has a slightly different structure.
Here, the ventricles are the chambers themselves.
I find the sentence analogous to:
I have 3 vehicles,with two cars and only one bicycle.

IS it right??
thanks.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 23:03
samarthgarg94 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
samarthgarg94 wrote:

Please clarify.
Thanks.

Yes, it is alright. Compare with the following example:

I agree. But the sentence in question has a slightly different structure.
Here, the ventricles are the chambers themselves.
I find the sentence analogous to:
I have 3 vehicles,with two cars and only one bicycle.

IS it right??
thanks.

You are right - the usage given in option B (and the example you pointed out) is incorrect - the preposition "with" should not be there. We have modified the question to take care of this issue.

Thank you for your inputs.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Booth '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.9
Re V11-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 18:26
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. the language in the correct answer "...delivers oxygenated blood to the organs by one channel while directs blood to the lungs.." is poor. The "while directs" makes no sense.
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 03:02
This question is a stunning / beauty. Stupendously testing the Parallelism grammar. This is one question where Parallelism and Logic go hand in hand together to reach the destined answer B.
Thank you for such an awesome question. I had this question just a while ago when i was doing my GMATClub test. :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.93
Reviews Badge
Re V11-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 16:00
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I believe answer "B" should be corrected. The section "by one channel while directs blood to the lungs" should actually read "by one channel while *directing* blood to the lungs". Besides this error the answer is fine.
Intern
Intern
B
Re V11-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 12:55
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. really of poor quality
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GRE 1: 313 Q166 V147
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 13:59
Jak5189 wrote:

I too felt the same when i read the question for 1st time. But when i read for the 2nd time, i understood it

4 Kudos left to unlock next level. Help me by Contributing one for cause :) .. Please

My GMAT experience ... https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-bad-experience-640-need-suggestions-on-verbal-improvement-251308.html

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
V11-19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 09:46
I agree that this is a low quality question. When you remove the superfluous details of the sentence it becomes clear that the 'correct' answer B is grammatically incorrect.

Whereas in mammals the heart has X, ..., and delivers Y while directs blood to the lungs for re-oxygenation by another, the heart in reptiles has Z.

Should be while directing blood.
V11-19   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2017, 09:46

V11-19

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap