It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 13:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-38

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17624 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-38 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 08:56
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:24) correct 45% (02:04) wrong based on 20 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A standard instrument for measuring student perception of critical thinking instruction was administered to both instructors and students. This instrument contained twenty items addressing the purposes of and cognitive skills associated with critical thinking. The phrasing of each item was slightly altered for a corresponding survey of instructors as “my instructor” became “I”. Data was collected in a census survey of core courses in the business program. A total of 60 core course sections were surveyed with 689 responses from an enrolled total of 797 students (86.4% response rate). In addition, instructors were surveyed regarding the instructional methods and teaching strategies incorporated in their respective courses. Faculty members were asked to indicate which methods they employed in a class, the relative importance of the method or strategy to the course and an approximate percentage of classroom time allotted to the method.
When examining course level mean scores for student perceptions of critical thinking instruction, we were able to reject the null and find that there are statistically significant differences between mean scores at different course levels. When examined on a course level basis between sophomore and junior level courses, the difference was statistically significant. However, the difference in scores between junior and senior level courses was not statistically significant. Therefore, students in courses for sophomores view critical thinking instruction differently than students in junior and senior level courses. We did not find support for an alternative proposition that student perceptions of critical thinking instruction are highly correlated with the instructor’s perception of critical thinking instruction in the course pedagogy. There was statistically significant agreement on only four of twenty items included in the survey of perceptions between instructors and students. This disconnect is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses. We found limited support for another proposition that an instructor’s emphasis on a selected instructional method or teaching strategy is highly correlated with student perceptions of critical thinking instruction. Out of twenty direct and indirect instructional methods included in the survey, only four methods exhibited correlations with student perceptions that were statistically significant.

Which of the following can be concluded from the facts given in the passage?

A. Some students were not interested to participate in the survey.
B. There were at most two students from each core course who did not participate in the survey.
C. Students may not have given their true opinions in the survey.
D. The standardised method of measuring students’ perception may have a different use after minor modification.
E. In four teaching methods in twenty, teachers put in adequate emphasis.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V11-38 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 08:56
Official Solution:

A standard instrument for measuring student perception of critical thinking instruction was administered to both instructors and students. This instrument contained twenty items addressing the purposes of and cognitive skills associated with critical thinking. The phrasing of each item was slightly altered for a corresponding survey of instructors as “my instructor” became “I”. Data was collected in a census survey of core courses in the business program. A total of 60 core course sections were surveyed with 689 responses from an enrolled total of 797 students (86.4% response rate). In addition, instructors were surveyed regarding the instructional methods and teaching strategies incorporated in their respective courses. Faculty members were asked to indicate which methods they employed in a class, the relative importance of the method or strategy to the course and an approximate percentage of classroom time allotted to the method.
When examining course level mean scores for student perceptions of critical thinking instruction, we were able to reject the null and find that there are statistically significant differences between mean scores at different course levels. When examined on a course level basis between sophomore and junior level courses, the difference was statistically significant. However, the difference in scores between junior and senior level courses was not statistically significant. Therefore, students in courses for sophomores view critical thinking instruction differently than students in junior and senior level courses. We did not find support for an alternative proposition that student perceptions of critical thinking instruction are highly correlated with the instructor’s perception of critical thinking instruction in the course pedagogy. There was statistically significant agreement on only four of twenty items included in the survey of perceptions between instructors and students. This disconnect is most prevalent among the sophomore level courses. We found limited support for another proposition that an instructor’s emphasis on a selected instructional method or teaching strategy is highly correlated with student perceptions of critical thinking instruction. Out of twenty direct and indirect instructional methods included in the survey, only four methods exhibited correlations with student perceptions that were statistically significant.

Which of the following can be concluded from the facts given in the passage?

A. Some students were not interested to participate in the survey.
B. There were at most two students from each core course who did not participate in the survey.
C. Students may not have given their true opinions in the survey.
D. The standardised method of measuring students’ perception may have a different use after minor modification.
E. In four teaching methods in twenty, teachers put in adequate emphasis.

(A) Some students did not participate does not necessarily imply that they were not interested to participate; there could have been some constraints (such as, they might have been sick or on leave during the survey) because of which they could not participate.

(B) Total 108 students did not participate in the survey and there were 60 courses. That does not imply that at most 2 students from each course did not participate. For example, there could 6 or more courses in which all students participated. Therefore for some of the other courses, the number of students must be more than 2.

(C) The passage nowhere states about the true opinion of the students.

(D) Correct. The standard instrument was devised for measuring student perception of critical thinking instruction. However it was modified slightly for a corresponding survey of instructors as “my instructor” became “I”.

(E) The third result states that the students did not widely agree with the instructors (limited support) on instructors’ emphasis on a selected instructional method. This does not clarify whether the teachers actually put in adequate emphasis.

Answer: D

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 16

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge
V11-38 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 20:51
I just got blown away by this passage. All 4 wrong. This was my first question on the test. My score dropped to V27 :( My skimming strategy didn't work. There were no broad idea questions. Could anyone help with the strategy of such dense, data-heavy passage?
souvik101990

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
Re: V11-38 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 11:36
I got the 1st one correct, but the rest three wrong! I am not sure if real GMAT will test us with questions like these, esp with options heavily twisted in the manner done here.

Gmatclub: Could you please provide statistics on these questions, especially on V11-37, V11-36 & V11-38? I am really curious to know what % of candidates got these questions correct. The "Question Stats" indicate 0 values, as if no one else has attempted these questions yet.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: V11-38   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2017, 11:36

V11-38

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap