GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D
Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 04:23
AdityaHongunti wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/per-a-recent-survey-carried-out-in-rambo-city-capital-of-papula-count-147427.html

please explain how the ans choice is relevant ?

Quote:
Per a recent survey carried out in Rambo City, capital of Papula country, an average middle-aged person drives his or her car for two thousand miles in a year and 99% of these people own a gasoline-run car. In addition, the survey suggested that if offered an economical option to switch to electric cars, most of these people would change their gasoline-run cars. The government of Papula is impressed with the environmental considerations shown by the citizens of Papula and is planning to implement a plan that would allow all the current owners of gasoline-run cars to switch to electric cars at a minimal cost.

Which of the following statements casts the most doubt on the ability of the plan to meet its required objective of significantly reducing air pollution in Papula in the next 5 years?

A. Though some of the citizens are concerned about the negative environmental impact of air pollution, they will not spend any extra money to protect the environment.

B. The budget deficit of the government of Papula is already at alarming levels, and any further increase in the deficit could lead to the bankruptcy of the country.

C. Since Papula is an aging country, with more than half its population near retirement age, the chief consideration for a large number of its citizens is the convenience to drive rather than the costs to do so.

D. In the last two decades, Papula has emerged as a major economic hub, leading to an increase in the living standard of its citizens and in the number of cars in the region.

E. Since people who don’t own gasoline cars would not be benefitted from the proposed plan, they may strongly oppose the use of taxpayer money on such a plan.

http://e-gmat.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Celebrating-Milestones1.png

Argument:

As per a recent survey, an average middle-aged person drives his or her car for two thousand miles in a year and 99% of these people own a gasoline-run car.
In addition, the survey suggested that if offered an economical option to switch to electric cars, most of these people would change their gasoline-run cars.

Plan: Implement a plan that would allow all the current owners of gasoline-run cars to switch to electric cars at a minimal cost.

Note that the survey is talking about average middle aged people only. We don't know what part of the population they represent. But the plan is being made for "all current owners".

Objective: Significantly reducing air pollution in Papula in the next 5 years

Find the option that casts doubt on the plan:

A. Though some of the citizens are concerned about the negative environmental impact of air pollution, they will not spend any extra money to protect the environment.
Some citizens could mean very few citizens. Also, are these "some citizens" gasoline car owners - we don't know. So this doesn't directly impact our plan.

B. The budget deficit of the government of Papula is already at alarming levels, and any further increase in the deficit could lead to the bankruptcy of the country.
Irrelevant to our argument.

C. Since Papula is an aging country, with more than half its population near retirement age, the chief consideration for a large number of its citizens is the convenience to drive rather than the costs to do so.
Here is the twist. More than half the population of Papula is near retirement. So the middle age people we talked about forms a smaller part of the population. This casts a doubt on our plan - we don't know what the older people feel about switching. For this older generation, convenience is more important than cost. The parameter on which the older generation judges is different than the one on which the middle aged people judge. The plan is being made keeping the parameter of middle aged people in mind. This again casts doubt on the success of the plan.

D. In the last two decades, Papula has emerged as a major economic hub, leading to an increase in the living standard of its citizens and in the number of cars in the region.
In the last two decades, number of cars has increased. But we are planning to replace all gasoline run cars so it doesn't matter what the actual number of cars is.

E. Since people who don’t own gasoline cars would not be benefitted from the proposed plan, they may strongly oppose the use of taxpayer money on such a plan.
Irrelevant to our argument.

Answer (C)

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 09:52
sharmasneha wrote:
The current pattern of human consumption of resources, in which we rely on nonrenewable resources, for example metal ore, must eventually change. Since there is only so much metal ore available, ultimately we must either do without or turn to renewable resources to take its place.
Which one of the following is an assumption required by the argument?

(A) There are renewable resource replacements for all of the nonrenewable resources currently being consumed.
(B) We cannot indefinitely replace exhausted nonrenewable resources with other nonrenewable resources.
(C) A renewable resource cannot be exhausted by human consumption.
(D) Consumption of nonrenewable resources will not continue to increase in the future.
(E) Ultimately we cannot do without nonrenewable resources.

Source: PowerScore CR Bible

Hi VeritasKarishma
Can you please identify the conclusion of the argument.
Is the conclusion "The current pattern of human consumption of resources, in which we rely on nonrenewable resources, for example metal ore, must eventually change. "

Or
is the conclusion"ultimately we must either do without or turn to renewable resources to take its place. "

Also how can I identify which one is the main conclusion.
I often use the because/therefore test.

The current pattern of human consumption of resources, in which we rely on nonrenewable resources, for example metal ore, must eventually change because we must either do without or turn to renewable resources to take its place.

This sentence doesnot make sense to me. Can you please suggest how can I identify the conclusion in these types of arguments? (the ones where we have "must")

Doubt 2:

"ultimately we must either do without or turn to renewable resources to take its place."
(A) There are renewable resource replacements for all of the nonrenewable resources currently being consumed.

If the argument hadnot mentioned "without" Can Option A be a relevant assumption?

I think it won't be.
We do not need renewable resources for all non renewable resources. We just need renewable ones for metal because we need to replace metal.
(it's place=Metal)
Is something wrong with my understanding?

Regards
Nitesh
Current Student
S
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 23:18
In humans, ingested protein is broken down into amino acids, all of which must compete to enter the brain. Subsequent ingestion of sugars leads to the production of insulin, a hormone that breaks down the sugars and also rids the bloodstream of residual amino acids, except for tryptophan, Tryptophan then slips into the brain uncontested and is transformed into the chemical serotonin, increasing the brain's serotonin level. Thus sugars can play a major role in mood elevation, helping one to feel relaxed and anxiety-free.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Elevation of mood and freedom from anxiety require increasing the level of serotonin the brain.
(B) Failure to consume foods rich in sugars results in anxiety and a lowering of mood.
(C) Serotonin can be produced naturally only if tryptophan is presented in the bloodstream.
(D) Increasing the level of serotonin in the brain promotes relaxation and freedom from anxiety.
(E) The consumption of protein-rich foods results in anxiety and a lowering of mood.

Hi VeritasKarishma.
Can you please help me with this question.
I was confused between option A and option D.

After going through some basics, I came up with a reason to eliminate Option A and a reason to not eliminate A.(BIG CONFUSION)

ELIMINATION:
If
A causes B.

The main assumption of the argument is the A ONLY causes B.

it means that If A happens, B has to happen.

Now option A:
B requires A to happen.
This will imply that that the occurrence of of B depends on A happening i.e A is a necessary condition for B to happen.
This implies that B might still not occur.(if other conditions are not met)
The author by stating a causation never assumes this concept.

Am I right in thinking along this line of reasoning?

ON the other hand if my statement would have been:
Only A causes B.
Then this statement would have been an appropriate assumption.

NOT ELIMINATE:

Q.Also can we eliminate option A using negation technique?

For eg: A is not needed for B to happen.
This means that B can happen without the occurrence of A.
B happens without A happening.

Confusion: wouldn't this then break the argument?

I would love to hear your thoughts on why Is option A incorrect.

Looking forward to your reply

Regards
Nitesh
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 23:40
In humans, ingested protein is broken down into amino acids, all of which must compete to enter the brain. Subsequent ingestion of sugars leads to the production of insulin, a hormone that breaks down the sugars and also rids the bloodstream of residual amino acids, except for tryptophan, Tryptophan then slips into the brain uncontested and is transformed into the chemical serotonin, increasing the brain's serotonin level. Thus sugars can play a major role in mood elevation, helping one to feel relaxed and anxiety-free.

(B) Failure to consume foods rich in sugars results in anxiety and a lowering of mood.

Hi VeritasKarishma

I am sorry for putting the following doubt in another post. The original post was already very long.

Doubt:

Isn't option B a case for No cause No effect?

Sugar food causes mood elevation

No sugar food causes no mood elevation

From what I have read in various explaination, Option B is incorrect because it says food rich in sugar.
What I cannot understand is how does this make this option incorrect?

Can I say that since it brings additional information (food rich in sugar),hence this is incorrect.

The problem I have in this option is: I cannot exactly explain as to WHY this option is exactly incorrect.

I know the question is a bit abstract, but nevertheless I am looking forward to any and all of your views on this option.

Regards
Nitesh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 02:03
Hello Karishma,please am following the Veritas RC STOP strategy but it seems that I take a lot of time around 2.5 minutes on the passage of which I have to come back to the passage again for specific questions asked . Any efficient way to apply that strategy or is there any suggested strategy that can help me with accuracy and speed
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
D

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 03:54
nitesh50 wrote:
sharmasneha wrote:
The current pattern of human consumption of resources, in which we rely on nonrenewable resources, for example metal ore, must eventually change. Since there is only so much metal ore available, ultimately we must either do without or turn to renewable resources to take its place.
Which one of the following is an assumption required by the argument?

(B) We cannot indefinitely replace exhausted nonrenewable resources with other nonrenewable resources.
(C) A renewable resource cannot be exhausted by human consumption.
(D) Consumption of nonrenewable resources will not continue to increase in the future.
(E) Ultimately we cannot do without nonrenewable resources.

Source: PowerScore CR Bible

Hi VeritasKarishma
Can you please identify the conclusion of the argument.
Is the conclusion "The current pattern of human consumption of resources, in which we rely on nonrenewable resources, for example metal ore, must eventually change. "

Or
is the conclusion"ultimately we must either do without or turn to renewable resources to take its place. "

Also how can I identify which one is the main conclusion.
I often use the because/therefore test.

The current pattern of human consumption of resources, in which we rely on nonrenewable resources, for example metal ore, must eventually change because we must either do without or turn to renewable resources to take its place.

This sentence doesnot make sense to me. Can you please suggest how can I identify the conclusion in these types of arguments? (the ones where we have "must")

Doubt 2:

"ultimately we must either do without or turn to renewable resources to take its place."

If the argument hadnot mentioned "without" Can Option A be a relevant assumption?

I think it won't be.
We do not need renewable resources for all non renewable resources. We just need renewable ones for metal because we need to replace metal.
(it's place=Metal)
Is something wrong with my understanding?

Regards
Nitesh

Premise:
Non-renewable resources such as metal ore are limited in supply.

Conclusion: We need to change our pattern of consumption and must either do without or turn to renewable resources to take the place of non-renewable resources.

Both the first and the last sentences are conclusion. They are not different conclusions. It is a single conclusion for which the first sentence gives a generic statement and the last sentence makes it more specific.
We need to change our pattern of consumption - generic
How? We need to do without or turn to renewable sources - specific

What is the assumption? Since non-renewable resources are limited, we need to replace them with renewable resources (or do without them). But we are assuming that we cannot replace one non renewable resource by another non renewable resource for a long long time. We are being asked to switch to renewable resources. Metal ore is limited but if it can be replaced by petrol, we may be good for a long long time. And then perhaps petrol will be replaced by natural gas and then perhaps we will use Uranium for centuries etc. This matches answer (B)

Not necessary. The conclusion mentions that we may need to do without.

Even if without is not mentioned, the argument does not assume this. The argument is very generic. We are running out of non renewable resources. We need to switch to renewable. Whether we have an apt replacement for each non renewable resource or what will happen if we do't have one if not the argument's concern. In fact, pointedly, the argument only talks about metal ore (with the intent being "non-renewable resource"). But all said and done, I will look at all options and hope to find a better one. Note that a hypothetical discussion on verbal questions usually ends with "we will need to see all the options in that case and then decide the best one".

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
D

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 04:07
nitesh50 wrote:

Hi VeritasKarishma

I am sorry for putting the following doubt in another post. The original post was already very long.

Doubt:

Isn't option B a case for No cause No effect?

Sugar food causes mood elevation

No sugar food causes no mood elevation

From what I have read in various explaination, Option B is incorrect because it says food rich in sugar.
What I cannot understand is how does this make this option incorrect?

Can I say that since it brings additional information (food rich in sugar),hence this is incorrect.

The problem I have in this option is: I cannot exactly explain as to WHY this option is exactly incorrect.

I know the question is a bit abstract, but nevertheless I am looking forward to any and all of your views on this option.

Regards
Nitesh

Option (B) is not a case of "no cause no effect". It seems to be a case of "no cause, opposite effect".
No sugar may lead to no mood elevation but why should it lead to lowering of mood? The mood should stay as it is. Consumption of sugar can elevate it but its absence should lead to no change; it shouldn't depress one! We are told what happens when serotonin reaches the brain, but we don't know what happens when it doesn't.

D

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 04:17
Staphyk wrote:
Hello Karishma,please am following the Veritas RC STOP strategy but it seems that I take a lot of time around 2.5 minutes on the passage of which I have to come back to the passage again for specific questions asked . Any efficient way to apply that strategy or is there any suggested strategy that can help me with accuracy and speed
Thank you

Hey Staphyk,

This thread is for CR so I would rather not mix it, but I will take your question on the Veritas forum here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-336/

Will put up a reply there soon.

Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 12:13
Clarita – an electronic-chip manufacturer conducting a thorough quality testing for its chips including a Shape Assurance test (SA) - plans to increase its revenue by increasing its production. Accordingly, a manager has reasoned that the SA test can be done away with, ensuring savings to double the production capacity. The company reasons that its chips are embedded inside radios, and so the shape won’t matter for a functional chip. However, the CEO disagrees with this proposal and says that implementing the proposal would harm the company’s plans for increasing revenue.

Which of the following statements, if true, provides the best support for the CEO’s stance?

A.Some of the chips found defective in the Shape Test may be identified as functionally defective without the need to send them for the Functional Test.

B.Leading radio manufacturers use an intricate internal design for their radios in which the design and form factor of each component is predecided and any deviation in the specifications of the supplied products would lead to an immediate termination of all relations with the supplier

C.When any kind of quality assurance test is removed in an organisation, workers tend to become lenient in their adherence to the work processes.

D.On a typical day, the overlap between the group of chips found defective in a shape assurance test and the chips found defective in a functional test is hardly considerable.

E.A rival chip manufacturing company has reported a slight increase in the number of chips it could produce in any given day after the removal of the Shape Test from its batch of Quality Assurance tests.

HI VeritasKarishma

Can you please help me with this question?
The OA is B.

but in order for it to be a strengthener we have to make significant assumptions such as the chips were used in the radios and the company was trading with the the LEADING manufacturers.

But when I look on Option C, it seems more of a direct strengthener.
If the workers become more lenient in work processes, the quality of the chips may suffer and hence the company may not be able to increase its revenue.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Nitesh
D

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 22:14
nitesh50 wrote:
Clarita – an electronic-chip manufacturer conducting a thorough quality testing for its chips including a Shape Assurance test (SA) - plans to increase its revenue by increasing its production. Accordingly, a manager has reasoned that the SA test can be done away with, ensuring savings to double the production capacity. The company reasons that its chips are embedded inside radios, and so the shape won’t matter for a functional chip. However, the CEO disagrees with this proposal and says that implementing the proposal would harm the company’s plans for increasing revenue.

Which of the following statements, if true, provides the best support for the CEO’s stance?

A.Some of the chips found defective in the Shape Test may be identified as functionally defective without the need to send them for the Functional Test.

B.Leading radio manufacturers use an intricate internal design for their radios in which the design and form factor of each component is predecided and any deviation in the specifications of the supplied products would lead to an immediate termination of all relations with the supplier

C.When any kind of quality assurance test is removed in an organisation, workers tend to become lenient in their adherence to the work processes.

D.On a typical day, the overlap between the group of chips found defective in a shape assurance test and the chips found defective in a functional test is hardly considerable.

E.A rival chip manufacturing company has reported a slight increase in the number of chips it could produce in any given day after the removal of the Shape Test from its batch of Quality Assurance tests.

HI VeritasKarishma

Can you please help me with this question?
The OA is B.

but in order for it to be a strengthener we have to make significant assumptions such as the chips were used in the radios and the company was trading with the the LEADING manufacturers.

But when I look on Option C, it seems more of a direct strengthener.
If the workers become more lenient in work processes, the quality of the chips may suffer and hence the company may not be able to increase its revenue.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Nitesh

Clarita manufactures and tests its chips.
A manager has suggested to do away from Shape test ensuring savings to increase capacity.
The company says that since chips are put inside radios, shape doesn't matter as long as the chip functions
CEO says that implementing the proposal would harm the company’s plans for increasing revenue.

We need to support the CEO's stance.

This directly supports the CEO's stance. The big names in radio manufacturers use exact shaped chips so shape test is needed. Any deviation will lead to termination of all relations. So the revenue could suffer or may not increase since the company's chips are used in radios (given in the argument). Even if the company is not dealing with leading manufacturers right now, it plans to expand and it's logical that it will look at business with big names.

We don't know what non-adherence to work processes would do. Will it impact revenue? we can't say. We need the option to impact revenue. Option (B) certainly does a much better job of showing us how revenue will be impacted.

Answer (B)

Current Student
S
Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 01:59
Waste management companies, which collect waste for disposal in landfills and incineration plants, report that disposable plastics make up an ever-increasing percentage of the waste they handle. It is clear that attempts to decrease the amount of plastic that people throw away in the garbage are failing.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
(A) Because plastics create harmful pollutants when burned, an increasing percentage of the plastics handled by waste management companies are being disposed of in landfills.
(B) Although many plastics are recyclable, most of the plastics disposed of by waste management companies are not.
(C) People are more likely to save and reuse plastic containers than containers made of heavier materials like glass or metal.
(D) An increasing proportion of the paper, glass, and metal cans that waste management companies used to handle is now being recycled.
(E) While the percentage of products using plastic packaging is increasing, the total amount of plastic being manufactured has remained unchanged

Hi VeritasKarishma

Conclusion: The amount of plastic that people throw is increasing.
Premise: The proportion of plastic is increasing.

Pre thinking:
What if the total amount of the waste has decreased.
Assumption: The total waste has not decreased.

Challenges to this assumption:
the amount of other waste has reduced.
the amount of total waste has reduced.

The OA is D in this question.

But in order for this option to weaken the argument we have to assume that the the amount of other waste materials is not increasing.
Just because the proportion is increasing we cant say that the amount is also increasing.

For eg:
Previously
If other material: 100
Recycled: 50
Companies handled: 50 (50%)

Today
If other material: 200
Recycled:120
Companies handled: 80(40%)

Hence inspite the increase in the proportion of recycled material, the amount of materials companies handle will increase.

In such a case:
Previously
Total materials: 100
Plastic:50
Others:50

Today:
total materials: 170
Plastic: 90
Others:80

this will then strength the argument.

Now one could object to this argument that a statement need to only weaken the argument by 1%.
But, if a statement has a varied impact on the argument, then definitely the option is incorrect.

SO what am I missing in this question?

Regards
Nitesh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 09:42
Hello Karishma, Wanna know wether my strategy is right for CR
I cover concepts of particular topic e.g. “Must be true “ and practice only questions on it from GC from level 500-600 and move to the next topic when am done ,Is it right ?

D

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 23:36
nitesh50 wrote:
Waste management companies, which collect waste for disposal in landfills and incineration plants, report that disposable plastics make up an ever-increasing percentage of the waste they handle. It is clear that attempts to decrease the amount of plastic that people throw away in the garbage are failing.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
(A) Because plastics create harmful pollutants when burned, an increasing percentage of the plastics handled by waste management companies are being disposed of in landfills.
(B) Although many plastics are recyclable, most of the plastics disposed of by waste management companies are not.
(C) People are more likely to save and reuse plastic containers than containers made of heavier materials like glass or metal.
(D) An increasing proportion of the paper, glass, and metal cans that waste management companies used to handle is now being recycled.
(E) While the percentage of products using plastic packaging is increasing, the total amount of plastic being manufactured has remained unchanged

Hi VeritasKarishma

Conclusion: The amount of plastic that people throw is increasing.
Premise: The proportion of plastic is increasing.

Pre thinking:
What if the total amount of the waste has decreased.
Assumption: The total waste has not decreased.

Challenges to this assumption:
the amount of other waste has reduced.
the amount of total waste has reduced.

The OA is D in this question.

But in order for this option to weaken the argument we have to assume that the the amount of other waste materials is not increasing.
Just because the proportion is increasing we cant say that the amount is also increasing.

For eg:
Previously
If other material: 100
Recycled: 50
Companies handled: 50 (50%)

Today
If other material: 200
Recycled:120
Companies handled: 80(40%)

Hence inspite the increase in the proportion of recycled material, the amount of materials companies handle will increase.

In such a case:
Previously
Total materials: 100
Plastic:50
Others:50

Today:
total materials: 170
Plastic: 90
Others:80

this will then strength the argument.

Now one could object to this argument that a statement need to only weaken the argument by 1%.
But, if a statement has a varied impact on the argument, then definitely the option is incorrect.

SO what am I missing in this question?

Regards
Nitesh

Nitesh,

See here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/waste-manage ... l#p2187456

Option (D) does not have a varied impact on the conclusion. It makes you doubt the conclusion. Based on the fact that plastic is making up a higher percentage of waste, you are assuming that people are not reducing plastic disposal. But if you are told that more of the other stuff is being recycled, it gives you a reason to doubt your conclusion. Perhaps people are reducing plastic disposal. Perhaps the other waste is reducing at a faster speed since a lot of it is getting recycled now.

D

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 23:43
Staphyk wrote:
I cover concepts of particular topic e.g. “Must be true “ and practice only questions on it from GC from level 500-600 and move to the next topic when am done ,Is it right ?

Staphyk,

That depends on what your target score is.
If you are looking at building strong concepts, I would suggest you to work on 600-700 level questions too after the sub 600 level questions. No point leaving them for round 2. They are quite conceptual too.
Once you are through with all topics and practice questions of below 700 level, you can look at the 700+ level questions.
But yes, this does depend on your target score. If it is around 500-550, then your current strategy may be sufficient.

Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 00:12
nitesh50 wrote:

(A) Elevation of mood and freedom from anxiety require increasing the level of serotonin the brain.
(C) Serotonin can be produced naturally only if tryptophan is presented in the bloodstream.
(D) Increasing the level of serotonin in the brain promotes relaxation and freedom from anxiety.
(E) The consumption of protein-rich foods results in anxiety and a lowering of mood.

Hi VeritasKarishma.

After going through some basics, I came up with a reason to eliminate Option A and a reason to not eliminate A.(BIG CONFUSION)

ELIMINATION:
If
A causes B.

Now option A:
B requires A to happen.
This will imply that that the occurrence of of B depends on A happening i.e A is a necessary condition for B to happen.

Only A causes B.

NOT ELIMINATE:

Regards
Nitesh

Hi VeritasKarishma

I think you might have missed this doubt.
Please do discuss this.

Regards
Nitesh
D

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 05:42
nitesh50 wrote:
nitesh50 wrote:

Hi VeritasKarishma.

ELIMINATION:
If
A causes B.

Now option A:
B requires A to happen.

Only A causes B.

NOT ELIMINATE:

Regards
Nitesh

Hi VeritasKarishma

I think you might have missed this doubt.
Please do discuss this.

Regards
Nitesh

Oddly enough, I remember working on this question but cannot find my reply anywhere so certainly missed it somehow.
Here you go: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-humans-in ... l#p2188392

Thr assumption of the argument is that A causes B (serotonin cause mood elevation etc). It is not that A ONLY causes B. Many things could lead to mood elevation etc but serotonin is one of those things that do lead to mood elevation etc. This assumption is the missing link between premises and conclusion. Note that the premises don't even have "mood elevation etc". Only the conclusion talks about it.

Negating (A) does not break the argument.

Negate (A) Elevation of mood and freedom from anxiety do not require increasing the level of serotonin in the brain.

This does not break our conclusion. Our conclusion is that (sugars) serotonin lead to mood elevation etc. It is not that serotonin is required for mood elevation etc. Serotonin is not necessary. It is one of the ways of getting mood elevation.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 05:50
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Staphyk wrote:

Staphyk,

That depends on what your target score is.
If you are looking at building strong concepts, I would suggest you to work on 600-700 level questions too after the sub 600 level questions. No point leaving them for round 2. They are quite conceptual too.
Once you are through with all topics and practice questions of below 700 level, you can look at the 700+ level questions.
But yes, this does depend on your target score. If it is around 500-550, then your current strategy may be sufficient.
Thank you

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 07:17
Hello Karishma,

Thanks for your guidance on various topics on this forum.

CR is one of my weakest sections on GMAT.
I have tried the e-gmat's Pre thinking approach and also read CR bible.

But none of them seem to help with arguments that are convoluted.
My mind just can not pre think in these arguments and i spend way too much understanding the information and i panick, and end up choosing the wrong answer.

How do you think i can improve in this section?

Let me also highlight one more thing, i am not that bad at RC's..My accuracy is about 70%.
Why i highlight this fact is that i can comprehend passages better than i can comprehend critical thinking arguments. My mind does not understand the logic and gap in reasoning.

WHat would you suggest to a student like me? Should i practice more or triage such questions? Should i work on basics again?

I would really appreciate your feedback.
D

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 03:59
zeniamehta wrote:
Hello Karishma,

Thanks for your guidance on various topics on this forum.

CR is one of my weakest sections on GMAT.
I have tried the e-gmat's Pre thinking approach and also read CR bible.

But none of them seem to help with arguments that are convoluted.
My mind just can not pre think in these arguments and i spend way too much understanding the information and i panick, and end up choosing the wrong answer.

How do you think i can improve in this section?

Let me also highlight one more thing, i am not that bad at RC's..My accuracy is about 70%.
Why i highlight this fact is that i can comprehend passages better than i can comprehend critical thinking arguments. My mind does not understand the logic and gap in reasoning.

WHat would you suggest to a student like me? Should i practice more or triage such questions? Should i work on basics again?

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Hey zeniamehta,

Pre-thinking is not the answer to all your troubles. It helps sometimes if you properly evaluate the argument while reading and are able to identify the gaps there and then. But, when nothing comes to mind, just move on to the options. The answer is there in the options - why to waste time trying to predict it?

Usually, it helps to break down the argument in premises and conclusion. The conclusion needs to be clearly separated out. The conclusion should follow from the premises. Sometimes, the conclusion will use terms that the premises don't even mention. You already know the gap then. You cannot conclude about something without giving any data on it. What I mean will be apparent when you go through this question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-humans-in ... l#p2188392

If you have understood the basics, going through them again and again won't add a lot of value. The value lies in learning to apply those basics to actual questions.

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 09:11
Hello Mam
I have douubt in OG question
Q1)https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-kinds-of-hand-and-wrist-injuries-that-result-from-extended-242144.html
Here if i draw parallel with this question of OG:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-the ... 02757.html
in this question we eliminated option D considering we are concerned with effects of schools cafeteria having machine,what they bring from outside was not relevant.
In Q1,we are also concerned with reducing injuries in school,so how come option C be correct.
Can you please draw parallel reasoning for me for these qsns.
Though i understood the qsn but suddenly vending machine qsn struck me so i marked wrong answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2018, 09:11

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  17    Next  [ 327 posts ] 

Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics